Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC Brake Pads and Fluid for Novice DE'er?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Brake Pads and Fluid for Novice DE'er?

I’ll be doing my first DE in my 911SC. It’ll be at WGI. The car has stock calipers w/ upgraded ATE slotted rotors. I only have novice skills. I’ll do a brake fluid flush/bleed and possibly replace the pads before the event.

Can I get a recommendation on what brand brake fluid I should use? FYI, when I was doing DE’s about 5 years in my old 951S, I used to alternate between ATE blue and gold on my 951S. Worked great for that car and my lower talent level. I have no idea what are the current “best bang for your buck” brake fluids and what’s appropriate for the SC.

Regarding brake pads, the best I can tell is that the PO installed Mintex pads. The Mintex boxes I have are marked MDB1070 M171. I'm pretty sure it a standard street pad. Should I make a change? If so, can I get a pad recommendation…street car with occasional use DE use.

By the way, at a few of the DE’s I did, I remember several folks in SC’s and 3.2 Carrera’s (with stock brakes) complaining about getting a soft pedal near the end of the session. This was in the novice (green) group. My gut feel is that most of this was due to brake system condition. But I really don’t know. So this is in the back of my mind and I want to do what I can to avoid or at least minimize this from occurring. I’m curious, for you advanced drivers with SC’s and stock calipers, do you get any or much brake fade?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

don't worry about any upgrades for your first DE in the SC. As long as you have 50% pad material, you're fine with those pads. If you're going to flush the fluid (a good idea), I'd recommend ATE Blue. If you decide you want to keep doing DE's you might want to move to a slightly more aggressive pad that is still okay for the street (not too noisy) like Hawk.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent many years on ATE blue/gold and street pads. Still using ATE. If that doesn't take you through, at the very least, the green run group (green, yellow, white, black, red scale) then you have system issues. The next logical upgrade would be a hybrid track/street pad and then someday a true race pad.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same as above. You can't go wrong with ATE Blue or Gold. By using ATE you have taken a reasonable simple step towards a good weekend at the Glen.

FWIW Hawk Blue pads are very track friendly.

Have fun.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do want to upgrade, motul or castrol SRF will do it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I boiled ATE blue in my 997S and went with Motul and now do not have an issue. I know your brakes and mine are different but that is my experiance. My stock brakes, fluid and pads lasted me until I got to solo then they were toast very quickly.
Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

ATE Blue or Gold flush now and Performance Friction 97 pads now or later. Pads take all of 20 minutes to change out..
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Thanks all. Order goes out for some ATE blue and gold tomorrow. Will keep Motul in mind for an upgrade, and Castrol SRF for when I have Derek Bell team up with me

I'll run the Mintex for this 1st DE and then at some point start asking you all more questions about pads. Questions like a hybrid street/track vs. a swapping in a race/track pad when I do a DE. I'll cue off my instructors for if and when they believe it would benefit me. Right now, I suspect they might simply tell me that at the pedestrian speeds I'm at, that the soles of Fred Flintstone's shoes are adequate.

Thanks for the wishes to have fun and enjoy the DE. I'm looking forward to this.

Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Motul cost the same as ATE! Get the Motul.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been very happy with ATE Super Blue. This product works well in the SC, which weighs substantially less than the 996/7. You'll save money that you can use on better pads. Don't forget getting cool air to the brakes. AJ USA, OG Racing have nice kits.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I've been very happy with ATE Super Blue. This product works well in the SC, which weighs substantially less than the 996/7. You'll save money that you can use on better pads. Don't forget getting cool air to the brakes. AJ USA, OG Racing have nice kits.
Yes, the ATE fluid is more than adequate for SC's, even for racing.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, the ATE fluid is more than adequate for SC's, even for racing.
Not my SC
Old 09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I'm also rethinking the PFC's. Going to try out some Pagids.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Bah.. it's because your mamby pamby with the brakes.. hit em like ya hate em!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Just measured the pads...lining is right at .25" (6 mm). Best info I could find on the web is that new are supposedly 16mm (11 mm lining + 5 mm steel backing plate). So I'm a tad over 50%.

Since I'm mail ordering the fluid and will do a flush, should I just order a hybrid pad and toss'em in now? Hawk was mentioned by several of you. Any recommendation on which one?

Thanks,

Mike

Quick Reply: SC Brake Pads and Fluid for Novice DE'er?