Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clocked at 105 and handcuffed....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clocked at 105 and handcuffed....

... early last Sunday morning (about 7:30) on my way up Hwy. 101 to Santa Barbara. I had stopped for fuel in Agoura and was running late for a breakfast meet with my son and his fiancee. I approached some slower traffic in the left lanes at about 80. I moved over to the right and unintentionally accellerated a bit. Appaerently this CHP was coming onto the freeway right there at Westlake Blvd. and behind some tall bushes. My V-1 never went off, he said he didn't need radar since I just drove right into his lair....

He went to lights and sirens immediately and came blazing up behind me. He pulled me out of the car and handcuffed me asking if I've ever been arrested for a "reckless" before. He then asked much I had to drink including how much last night! I told him I rarely drink and had a beer a few days ago. Then without even asking he searched my car completely. He went back to his cruiser and got his breathalyzer and asked if I objected to taking the test. I agreed and he looked at the results and went back again to his car and ran me on the computer system. It took all of about 30 seconds and he came back, turned me around, and uncuffed me stating that "You're right, you're completey clean. No tickets, no warrants, and you blew a 00". He said that changes everything and realxed a bit asking why the speed. I explained that I was pretty shocked I was at 105, I thought I was around 85 or so. I just accelerated to get around the sparce traffic in the fast lanes going 60. He agreed my lane changes were very clean and I that I wasn't driving erratically. He said when they see someone over 100 they immediately assume they're under the influence of something. I told him this car idles at 85 in 6th gear and he smiled a little. I said I was race licensed with multiple organizations and expained why racers are usually the safest ones on the highway. I may exceed the posted limits, but you won't find me up on Mullholland racing along a blind highway. He understood what I was trying to say and we talked about racing a bit. He apparently had some friends who ran P-cars. He stated repeatedly that once I know you're clean, it changes everything...

Well then he smiled and said well I can't just let 105 slide, I have to write you. I laughed and asked him to be gentle. I said I was thinking of asking you for a low flatbed a few minutes ago, so I'll be happy with whatever you decide. He said well how about 80, that will allow you to attend traffic school.

We shook hands and off I went in 5th gear on cruise control....
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky John
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Wow. pays to be respectful. I do not doubt that the vast majority of 100+ speeders are exactly as he described.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Yep, Very lucky .........
Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Cool story, but you still got points on your license. Next time ask him to write you up for a non-moving violation - not wearing a seat belt for instance. This way you just pay the fine and you're done - no points, no school, no insurance increase. You're still lucky though
Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

John,
Count your blessings, as you know cops aren't always that understanding.

Touf,
Haven't seen you around in a while. Everything ok???
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

If your state allows it, it really pays to have your record expunged.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM
v12man
Instructor

I find they get more understanding when they see the cash I keep in my liscence holder after I hand it over. At least that helps make them change it to not wearing a seatbelt sometimes.

Fortunately we did not get stopped for this one (club breakfast run - empty highway) Sorry the pic is so bad, scanned in off the original which is water damaged. Got overtaken very shortly after by a couple of other club members.

[IMG]Lambo speedo.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not trying to be a prude, and i dont think i'd impress you to reconsider one way or the other, but am i the only one that thinks you are beyond reckless in driving at, unless i'm mistaken about 200mph? First it assumes you have some ability to control that vehicle, all things running smoothly, at 200mph and i would bet that only the most experienced track drivers have solid experience in that area. then, you're assuming your car might not suffer a failure at 200mph, and while i'm sure its built wonderfully, all it takes is that 2dollar lugnut getting mistorqued by the $12.00/hour mechanic who was rushing home because $1.00 beers only are available till 7pm.

and you're also assuming the roads are capable of those speeds. i know of few roads in the northeast US where you can haul like that without some crack in the road ripping your wheel to pieces....

mainly, while i do care that anyone would be careless with their own life like that....i think its beyond reckless that you conceivable risk the lives of others, innocent drivers, moms, daugheters, sons....with your showboating, because thats all that it is.

more disgusting is the guy trying to take photos of his own reckless behaviour. when you wreck, and you take out some poor innocent person, that photo will basically ensure you do about 20 years in prison for aggravated manslaughter.

im not a prude, and like many of us, we take liberties on the road, but 200mph? photographing yourself? in a 'Club ride". not the kind of club i want to be part of.

hit the track i think the track guys would say. atleast there its an assumed risk in a controlled environment.

just some food for thought.

Originally Posted by v12man
I find they get more understanding when they see the cash I keep in my liscence holder after I hand it over. At least that helps make them change it to not wearing a seatbelt sometimes.

Fortunately we did not get stopped for this one (club breakfast run - empty highway) Sorry the pic is so bad, scanned in off the original which is water damaged. Got overtaken very shortly after by a couple of other club members.

[IMG]Lambo speedo.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

BTW, v12man is in South Africa, not the US.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by spg993tt
... unless i'm mistaken about 200mph?
I suspect that is KPH, not mph. But fast for a public road nonetheless.

edit: Whoops. I just had a closer look at the speedo and saw the smaller kph numbers on the inside. Wow. That IS fast.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

mph - kph is the inside ring
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The photo shows 200+ mph and 330+ kph.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i was aware. not trying to come of harsh or belittling or trying to antagonize anyone....we all read these boards to learn a bit.

he somehow thinks its cool to do 200mph , regardless of country, photo it, on open highways. in s africa, in canada, and in a ton of other locals, whtther permitted or legals, its plain foolish. atleast thats my opinion. i got kids. they are fun and exciting. 200mph on an open road isnt.

i looked at the speed dial. unless im mistaken, there are two lines, one white one yellow. the one showing 200 i think is mph. the other one shows like 350kmh; cant really tell because the car is shaking, or his hand is shaking. tahts comforting at 200mph;

i'm not track guy. NEVER BEEN. would like to when i get time and the right inclination...sounds really fun. as a compulsive obsessive guy i think i might get obsessed overly so with the track. but this dude is on the fast path to killing himself or someone else and i think these boards have to do more for the overall community.

go fast. but dont go out stoopid.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

BTW, v12man is in South Africa, not the US.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I have no problem with people going 200mph, though I suspect the car in the photograph isn't anywhere near that, probably not even 180mph - its an old Lamborghini with 46,000 km on it, after all and the Italians do like t6o dial up 'Owner's Speed'.
Cars do vibrate at that speed, especially Italian cars as the air pressure and wheel rotation cause the body panels to flex and vibrate independently.
I do have a problem with arschlochen who put money in their driving licence AND boast about it. It seems common sense to me that if you do do that, you should keep quiet about it. Once you get a reputation for being amenable to being shaken down, the entire damn force will be queuing up to give you a tug.

R+C

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105 and handcuffed....