Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Private Race Tracks popping up all over!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I seriously doubt most will be built. I have direct knowledge of most of these "projects". 'Nuff said.
I stand corrected. I don't know anything about them other than the websites etc. I guess anything can look good if presented right.
So which ones are actually being built?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David 23
So which ones are actually being built?
Eagles Canyon is very real. I've driven on it in its 'beta' paved state. Its almost complete in its final state now. Another month or so depending on weather. Can't wait.

Seems to me that one of the biggest obstacle of building a track is the cost of the land. That's where tracks like Eagles Canyon have an advantage over proposed projects in some other states. Land in rural Texas is realtively cheap if it is far enough away from a large city. The exception is the Hill Country (Austin-San Antonio area). That's why I would guess that Bergennenring may never get built. Raw land anywhere in the Hill Country has gotten much more expensive in the last 5-10 years and will probably continue to rise.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Eagles Canyon is real. Harris Hill Road is real, AFAIK, although it will be a VERY bare-bones, members only facility. No DE's, no race cars, etc.

The Driveway is currently a 6/10 mile AX/karting track. There are some significant zoning, noise, and environmental obstacles facing the planned expansion to a 2.6 mile road course, in addition to funding & the general cluster**** encountered when dealing with the City of Austin.

We will see about the others.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have driven Eagles Canyon several times now, in its early form. That's where I met you Greg!
Is Racer's Ranch a go?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Yes, I have driven Eagles Canyon several times now, in its early form. That's where I met you Greg!
Yep. But you were in a hotrod mini, right? I got some photos of you and the other Mini running out there. Good times, man! Look forward to seeing you out there soon!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Driveway is currently a 6/10 mile AX/karting track. There are some significant zoning, noise, and environmental obstacles facing the planned expansion to a 2.6 mile road course, in addition to funding & the general cluster**** encountered when dealing with the City of Austin.

We will see about the others.
I talked with the owner about his plans as he was by chance my instructor at a PCA Autocross school there at the Driveway. I agree, Dave. Getting everything he wants done right there next to the River past the Austin Enviro ***** will be tough deal.

Additionally, We won't be running on it anyway because he's planning on a private track with his own cars - a driving school. Said he had no plans of renting it out. The layout sounded pretty cool though, he's planning on duplicating famous turns from famous race tracks like the Corkscrew, etc...

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's the wife's track toy/daily driver. I keep the 993 at MSR.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I talked with the owner about his plans as he was by chance my instructor at a PCA Autocross school there at the Driveway. I agree, Dave. Getting everything he wants done right there next to the River past the Austin Enviro ***** will be tough deal.

Additionally, We won't be running on it anyway because he's planning on a private track with his own cars - a driving school. Said he had no plans of renting it out. The layout sounded pretty cool though, he's planning on duplicating famous turns from famous race tracks like the Corkscrew, etc...

Steve
Steve, a little history. The Driveway was originally built by a good friend of mine (not the current owner) on some land his company owned as a private kart track. He used it as such for nearly 2 years, and I joined him there many times, both with his shifter karts & in my M3. He then sold it to Bill, whom I also know from racing, who wanted to make it a commercial facility.

Even thought it is next to railroad tracks & a prison & is DIRECTLY under the main airport flight path, the residential neighbors whine about noise.

IMO, Bill's model (private facility, school only, no DE's or races) is a recipe for total failure. I have seen his business plan, and I do not see any way he can produce the cash flow it will take to keep that place in tip top shape. I have told him this, but he insists that he can make the numbers work, and says his investors are behind him. Bill is a very nice guy, but his driving skills far exceed his business skills, IMHO.

Which is why I think most of these places will make EXCELLENT values for their second owners.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-01-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Steve, a little history. The Driveway was originally built by a good friend of mine (not the current owner) on some land his company owned as a private kart track. He used it as such for nearly 2 years, and I joined him there many times, both with his shifter karts & in my M3. He then sold it to Bill, whom I also know from racing, who wanted to make it a commercial facility.

Even thought it is next to railroad tracks & a prison & is DIRECTLY under the main airport flight path, the residential neighbors whine about noise.

IMO, Bill's model (private facility, school only, no DE's or races) is a recipe for total failure. I have seen his business plan, and I do not see any way he can produce the cash flow it will take to keep that place in tip top shape. I have told him this, but he insists that he can make the numbers work, and says his investors are behind him. Bill is a very nice guy, but his driving skills far exceed his business skills, IMHO.

Which is why I think most of these places will make EXCELLENT values for their second owners.

Yup, totally agree.

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Does anyone plan to build one in California?
Why yes they are. www.countryclubroadcourse.com
Attached Images   

Last edited by McGarrett; 09-03-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Add pics.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:33 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware of all these other tracks, it looks like most will actually be built.
I've found it interesting to note the wide range of pricing at these clubs across the country. My membership at MSR seems very reasonable compared to other parts of the country. Eagle's Canyon also seems to have very reasonable pricing.
George, you joined EC also? Where will you keep the car? Is it closer to your house? MSR is only 30 mins now from our new home, EC is 3 times that for us.
David, yes I also joined EC. I'm really debating on what to do with the car. EC is a few minutes closer to my house than MSR, in almost the opposite direction. My issue with keeping the car at MSR is that if I ever want to go to EC, I'll need to spend an hour going to MSR then another hour to EC. I'm on the verge of brining the car home so that I can do both with the same effort. I will miss the arrive and drive setup I have right now at MSR but I have I feeling I'll be going to EC more often than MSR. I was out at MSR all day yesterday and all I could think of was EC....... I just wish they had all the amenities of MSR all ready built.

George
Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Yeah George, I wondered about the drive for you. I love having my car at MSR, but am unsure what to do about going to a DE at EC. My car isn't even tagged and can't get inspected (SAI Cel) so I am concerned about the drive from MSR back home, then the drive to EC. I simply don't have garage space at home for the Porsche, three other cars have filled it all up.
I went out today and did a session. Wish I had known you were there yesterday, I would have gone then. My tires are shot, but it's still fun.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I hope these pan out, most are pretty close to Houston
Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
TR6
Drifting

My car isn't even tagged and can't get inspected (SAI Cel) so I am concerned about the drive from MSR back home, then the drive to EC....
Simple, David. If you drive fast enough on the street, the cops won't be able to see that you are missing your inspection sticker.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
justs4l
Track Day

Originally Posted by McGarrett
Thanks. I guess I was Googling the wrong thing.

Judging by the pics, it looks like it will be out in the desert. Any idea where?

Quick Reply: Private Race Tracks popping up all over!