Sponsored by:

tracks you can run backwards

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tracks you can run backwards

inspired by the TWS thread got me to wondering - why are certain tracks able to be run backwards and others not? more specifically, are some tracks run only one way because of safety/corner worker issues, or is it because of tradition, etc.

for example, i'd really like to run Roebling backwards, but i can't think of any reason why it hasn't been done(or has it?). only thing that comes to mind are corner workers being able to look backwards but they have pretty good vision in most places. also, runoff room is about the same at both ends of the straight so i don't see the problem there either. coming out of turn one would probably be faster but for most cars you'd be seeing the same speeds down the straight. thoughts?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most tracks are designed to be run in one direct only. The layout of the corners and gravel traps/run off is designed for one direction.

There are however a number of testing or club track designed for us in both directions. Buttonwillow for example can be run in both directions as well as with something like 10 configurations. Most of the time Buttonwillow is run in 1 of two layouts, but in both directions so that means there are 4 commonly used tracks.

The speeds for Clockwise and counter clockwise are with in about 1 second of each other and therefore more determined by weather conditions than direction.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Hallett in OK. is able to run both ways.

Peter
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned - design. Laguna Seca or Sears Point would be dangerous and/or no fun in the reverse direction. Thunderhill and Buttonwillow can be run in the "reverse" direction, but it is obvious they were not designed for it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

It's been my experience that Buttonwillow run in a counter clockwise direction has produced more rollover accidents and snap oversteer into the pitwall coming onto the front straight from the last corner.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

One of the problems with running backwards is the neck pain oops .

One of the issues is the overlap of the armco which is directional. We had that discussion in PR way back when we we started running the track in either direction to keep entertained.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

yeah, i can understand why a track runs only in one direction because of design. that goes back to the safety reasons i mentioned originally.

ok, lets talk about specific tracks then - are there any tracks you run that go only one direction but you can't seem to find any reason why it can't be run the opposite? (double negative? )
my example was Roebling Road. I think it can be run backwards and right now i'm not able to think of any reason why not.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The first time I experienced (or ever heard of) a track that ran both ways was Summit Point Shenandoah, back during One Lap 05. I'm doing the recon lap and thinking "how the heck did so many people screw up so bad to cause those skid marks?!?" I asked a couple of guys later what's with the skids and they said "they run it both ways..." That was after we all beefed about how messed up Shenandoah was -- many people called it a kart track for cars... The gimmicky Carousel ate one car and spit it into the tire wall...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

I've run nelson ledges backwards. I actually prefer it to the normal direction and it was designed that way I believe. But I think they had someone get the exit of 1 (last corner going backwards) wrong a few times and they ended up across the road on private property.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Years ago, they used to run Lime Rock backwards at PCA DE's. I've heard from the old timers that running the uphill backwards gave you an opportunity to see the face of God... I've seen pictures -- it ain't pretty...

Based on the configuration, the North infield section of Pocono Raceway can be run one way (North Course only - clockwise) or the other way (Double Infield - clockwise as well, but in the opposite direction through the North Course section)

-Z-man.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I would love to run Road Atlanta backwards.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

exactly what i was thinking. though it'll probably never happen

on the bright side, i've run it backwards in Forza and it is definitly a blast
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Road America would be fun. Loosing your brakes going into turn 1 (14 in the regular direction) would be very bad.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I have driving Road Atlanta backwards on FM2 also, it's a totally different feel. I also like running the Road Atlanta short track in FM2, it's really neat to go flatout from 3 all the way to 10A.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

New Hampshire International Speedway (big name/small track) used to run the other way, but I think that was only back in its motorcycle racing days. Maybe SCCA as well.
Track has been changed a lot since then; even though its a little track, its a lot of fun.
Previous name was Loudon, of course.

Quick Reply: tracks you can run backwards