Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tracks you can run backwards

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hope that everyone would make sure their former trackout point was not their new turnin point!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I keep seeing this and thinking of going up the corkscrew and then the downhill and right under the bridge after that would be pretty scary. The rest not so bad.

Road America as Enzo said would be a bit hairy going into the new 1. Holy Crap getting that run going downhill into it would be insane (did it partially with Skippy once). Also the kink wouldn't be so bad since you'd be able to run out into 'the bend' however the carousel would be pretty interesting coming into it at such a high speed.

I too have played FM2 and run Road Atlanta backwards and that is a pretty fun setup.

Wow the more I think about it there are a lot of places that could be pretty fun to run backwards.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

It would be "fun" to go down hill through the esses at Watkins Glen... Coming down hill for the toe of the boot would be a challenge, too -- clearly there wouldn't be enough runoff...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never found Buttonwillow to be bad counterclockwise.

And if you go back far enough, the original road course for PIR (Phoenix) had you going clockwise from S/F through the banked T4 and T3, then exiting the the oval track for a mile or so of road course in the desert and coming back inside to what the infield twisties are now? Just what was relayed to me, as they had shut that all down just before I moved there for college in '83.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Barber backwards....i don't think it'd feel all that different?

Road atlanta - definitely would be cool to drive backwards.

no one's answered my question though - can/has roebling been run backwards?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 PM
dp35
Pro

If anyone has driven Thunderhill in the reverse direction, how is it?

I've often wondered about this, and I see that NASA will be running it backwards in October.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun ! And sufficiently different to be like a new track.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an old vid of of thill backwards in my long sold lotus elise motorsport.

The esses are much faster than expected. 7 becomes a real corner. 5 is ridiculous.

turn 1 can be very fast.

http://acweber.com/lem/EliseTH-CW.WMV

AW
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I never found Buttonwillow to be bad counterclockwise.

And if you go back far enough, the original road course for PIR (Phoenix) had you going clockwise from S/F through the banked T4 and T3, then exiting the the oval track for a mile or so of road course in the desert and coming back inside to what the infield twisties are now? Just what was relayed to me, as they had shut that all down just before I moved there for college in '83.
Yep PIR did have an outside road course. I forget if it was run backwards or not, but in fact you can still see it in overhead photos. That currnet outside road course pavement are now "access roads" for the parking lot for NASCAR races.

I also suggested that NASA Az look at running the Currnet layout of PIR backwards. I think it could work, but the biggest issue is that all the corner worker stations are reversed. Nothing that could not be overcome, but I doubt PIR would be interested in lifting a finger. As it stands they get more demand for club use than they have dates for so why bother.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

RR backwards??? I have run RR 4 times and sitting here thinking about it, I don't think it would be bad to run backwards. A couple of trackouts would have no curbing and possibily a couple of flag stations would need to be changed. HMMM going into turn 9 backwards would become a gut check of a different kind, at least you wouldn't have to worry about the wall but the runoff room would be a lot less.

Peter
Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road Atlanta backwards? The new curbing is all sawtoothed and would be brutal to hit running CCW. I'm picturing coming under the bridge at a high rate of speed (like before there was 10A&B) and hoping the car lands soon enough for a full threshold into 10B. In a race sounds like a recipe for pandemonium. Let's try it!
Randy
Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

hmm...would turn 1 backwards be faster than turn 12?

Quick Reply: tracks you can run backwards