Sponsored by:

Rumors of next RSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:15 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rumors of next RSR

Rumor has it that Porsche is re-thinking its wider track/heavier 997RSR and seriously considering a re-engineered lighter car for the near future. Off my rocker or on the edge a blinding truth?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on who is spreading the rumor
Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Rumor has it that Porsche is re-thinking its wider track/heavier 997RSR and seriously considering a re-engineered lighter car for the near future. Off my rocker or on the edge a blinding truth?

Blowing smoke.

ALMS/ACO has rules about minimum weight and maximum width.

Let's not forget the cars are supposed to be ba based on production cars and to be homologated.

The easiest way of PAG coming out with a GT race casr with a better power to weight ratio is to dip into the Audi parts bin and grab a Gallardo/R8 chassis. Choice of engine, well apart from flat 6 PAG has both V8 and V10 engines available, they can also grab the Lamborghini V10 engine. Only problem is the gearbox, well that's easily fixed, there is an Xtrac transaxle that is ideal.

Long term this is a better bet than the Cayman platform, but more expensive. Unless the 998 moves the engine forward of the rear axle and the liklihood of that is...... PAG is going to find itself painted into a corner as far as GT racing is concerned. There appears to be x per cent of undeveloped potential left in the venerable steel chassis, rear engined 911 compared to the y per cent of the options. All we can be certain of is that Y is larger than X.

The Cayman platform is perfect for Club, Cup and entry racing.

If you look at the latest VLN results, you will see that the Gallardo is beginning to lap at competitive speeds and to make it to the finish whilst the Cayman is on the verge of some top finishes. Its significant that some of the names involved are well known to PAG, including Alzen, Mamerow, Tilke.

Without significant changes it is hard to be certain that the 911 chassis will still be winning in six years time, its had more development than any other car racing and is a triumph to the race engineers who have overcome all the problems of what was not at first site the most ideal platform.

To remain at the forefront of GT class racing Internationally (that means forget Rolex, Speed World Challenge etc), PAG has these options:

1. mid engined 911 derivative (may never fly with the fans)
2. ASF based plarform (R8/Lambo think mini CGT)
3. race version of Cayman

Interesting times.

R+C
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have heard pro racers complain about the 997 RSR. Words like 'pig' have come up. Also, I've heard the car will have significate changes in the MY08. I hope so because I want the 911 to continue its winning ways. That said, I do think its days are numbered, at least in some series.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Blowing smoke.

ALMS/ACO has rules about minimum weight and maximum width.

Let's not forget the cars are supposed to be ba based on production cars and to be homologated.

The easiest way of PAG coming out with a GT race casr with a better power to weight ratio is to dip into the Audi parts bin and grab a Gallardo/R8 chassis. Choice of engine, well apart from flat 6 PAG has both V8 and V10 engines available, they can also grab the Lamborghini V10 engine. Only problem is the gearbox, well that's easily fixed, there is an Xtrac transaxle that is ideal.

Long term this is a better bet than the Cayman platform, but more expensive. Unless the 998 moves the engine forward of the rear axle and the liklihood of that is...... PAG is going to find itself painted into a corner as far as GT racing is concerned. There appears to be x per cent of undeveloped potential left in the venerable steel chassis, rear engined 911 compared to the y per cent of the options. All we can be certain of is that Y is larger than X.

The Cayman platform is perfect for Club, Cup and entry racing.

If you look at the latest VLN results, you will see that the Gallardo is beginning to lap at competitive speeds and to make it to the finish whilst the Cayman is on the verge of some top finishes. Its significant that some of the names involved are well known to PAG, including Alzen, Mamerow, Tilke.

Without significant changes it is hard to be certain that the 911 chassis will still be winning in six years time, its had more development than any other car racing and is a triumph to the race engineers who have overcome all the problems of what was not at first site the most ideal platform.

To remain at the forefront of GT class racing Internationally (that means forget Rolex, Speed World Challenge etc), PAG has these options:

1. mid engined 911 derivative (may never fly with the fans)
2. ASF based plarform (R8/Lambo think mini CGT)
3. race version of Cayman

Interesting times.

R+C

Why would the gallardo platform be any better than the CGT platform?
The limited rules in GT racing is what has made the 911 competiive for so many years , I really do not see te 911 being uncompetitve in the near future with current GT rules...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The limited rules in GT racing is what has made the 911 competitive for so many years , I really do not see the 911 being uncompetitive in the near future with current GT rules...
This is actually quite interesting. I somehow feel ALMS/ACO don't want Porsche and its army of privateers to leave the field. Question is if PAG signals that a new platform will be used or if they continue with the threat of just leaving if rules are bent the wrong way for the next years.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Why would the gallardo platform be any better than the CGT platform?
The limited rules in GT racing is what has made the 911 competiive for so many years , I really do not see te 911 being uncompetitve in the near future with current GT rules...
Because the CGT platform is banned from GT racing - cf tubs are not allowed.

Anybody watching the F430/GT3RSR fight is seeing what happens as the GT3 reaches its final developments. Then watch what is happening in series like the VLN, we are seeing the Gallardo and Cayman beginning to get it together.

Another reason for favouring an ASF is that it is cheap compared to a CF tub. Its much easier to alter a spaceframe chassis during development than a cf tub.

R+C
Old 08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Why not simply allow the RSR a larger diameter intake restrictor?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Why not simply allow the RSR a larger diameter intake restrictor?
Because that is generally technically related (normal/forced induction, number of valves, capacity) rather than performance based in ACO.

Perhaps the message should be - "RSR, have you considered Young Timers?"

That is a (slight) exageration. But what would you rathr have as a race chassis, a 911 or an (updated) 904?

R+C
Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Unless the 998 moves the engine forward of the rear axle and the liklihood of that is...... R+C

been saying this for a couple of years now...

Going back to the evolution of the 911 chassis: The 996 was such a dramatic aero improvement over the 993, I think it's odd that Porsche chose to go back to the extreme wide body of the 997 RSR, it's much like the 993 RSR Evo body. I see a lengthened Cayman with a V8 in it destroying a 911 in the future... Mark my words.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting to note that the Cayman & Boxster have a longer wheelbase already compared to the GT3:

GT3...............Cayman S
Total Length: 176in..............172.1
Width: 71...............70.9
Wheelbase: 93..........95.1

Hmmmmm....
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmorris3
........, I think it's odd that Porsche chose to go back to the extreme wide body of the 997 RSR,...
well, tests show that in a race car the speed/cornering trade-off is in favour of cornering, so the trend is always going to be towardes the maximum possible wheelbase. For street driving the narrow body IS faster.

R+C
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just build me a factory cayman gtr and be done with it. Mid engine and will fit a big engine easily. It can be the right weight for most races and wll WIN with factory help
Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

^^^^

DING DING DING We have a winner!

Where do I sign...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Because the CGT platform is banned from GT racing - cf tubs are not allowed.

Anybody watching the F430/GT3RSR fight is seeing what happens as the GT3 reaches its final developments. Then watch what is happening in series like the VLN, we are seeing the Gallardo and Cayman beginning to get it together.

Another reason for favouring an ASF is that it is cheap compared to a CF tub. Its much easier to alter a spaceframe chassis during development than a cf tub.

R+C
Any pics of these European raced Caymans?

Quick Reply: Rumors of next RSR