Truly sad news

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Truly sad news

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=16951

My deepest condolences to John's family.

Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Damn, RIP.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Where did this happen?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

It happened at Mid-Ohio on Sunday in the NASA GTS race.

Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I was there,I was on the track in the same race. Larry Collins car was stalled at the end of the back strait,left side for two laps. The starter flag station had a debis flag NO YELLOW . John hit the oil went into a violent spin and hit Larry's car at 100mph ? Lary was ok but shaken,I picked him up behind the Mid Ohio garage were he was left alone with his car (I was stunned). We heard John has a broken leg.
Five of my family members where there at the hill above maddness and said the accident was horrific.
Larry was the last person I shook hands with before we got into our cars and gridded for the race. We were in adjoining garages.
I will say a prayer for John and his family. I did not work alot today just thinking about the wreck and this was when I thought his leg was broken.
It took over a hour to remove him from the car...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Tragic. I have not thought about much of anything else either today. My deepest condolences to his family. I am really sick about this.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Needless-to -say, we're all saddened and more than a little distressed by this horrible accident. But, let's keep this thread to expressions of sympathy and condolence for John's family. The "facts" are probably best dicussed in private.

Mike,

I left while it was still raining Sunday morning and I know you were considering not running. Now, I'm glad I missed that race. I spoke with my friend Ken by phone while I was waiting at the airport in Columbus and he told me the race was shortened due to an accident, that there were injuries, but apparently everyone would be "okay". I learned the sad news about John this afternoon and sat in front of my computer and wept for 10 minutes.

Please express my condolences to John's family for everyone here in the NASA Northeast 944 Cup race series.

Last edited by richard glickel.; 08-20-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Richard:

I was in the race and too am just sick about this. Words do not express at this point for the family and friends.

Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It was a horrible accident. I am really saddened by this and I don't know how to describe the pain I am sure everyone who races with us is feeling today. Heartfelt sympathy and condolences to his family.

Last edited by bgiere; 08-21-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

We lost a wonderful person yesterday. I only raced with John once this season, he was a gentleman on and off the track. My heart is heavy today and will be for some time. RIP John.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadnt known John long, but it was a pleasure racing with him a month ago.

My condolences go out to all involved. Such a sad, sad moment.

Eric Wong
#199 GTS3 M3
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damned cruel sport sometimes. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Needless-to -say, we're all saddened and more than a little distressed by this horrible accident. But, let's keep this thread to expressions of sympathy and condolence for John's family. The "facts" are probably best dicussed in private.
Richard, please don't take this as disrespect, but I have to question putting a damper on discussions of what happened. It's not morbid curiosity in my case. We ALL face this potential every time we put a wheel on a track. Having an understanding how something went bad is worthwhile IMHO. Idle speculation and any accusations are counter-productive. But a simple understanding of what happened and contributing factors is necessary for our own safety. I can assure you that if something happened to me on track I'd want people to learn from it.

So, I'm not necessarily saying I want to see a discussion here. I'm just not sure that no discussion is a worthwhile thing either.

My heart goes out to his loved ones. There are times I hate this sport.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you Geo and to the private posts also. Being there puts life in a perspective that hearing about it second hand may not.
I and perhaps others are contemplating ending this hobby.
I am trying to imagine what Johns family is going thru as I think about my own that was there watching .
I wish all fellow racers the best.
I have updated all my will documents and will have a living will at all events from now on.
Best wishes,
Gregg
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

George,

No offense taken. I know you from this board and you are a gentleman. I'll P.M. you later.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Damned cruel sport sometimes. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.

Richard, please don't take this as disrespect, but I have to question putting a damper on discussions of what happened. It's not morbid curiosity in my case. We ALL face this potential every time we put a wheel on a track. Having an understanding how something went bad is worthwhile IMHO. Idle speculation and any accusations are counter-productive. But a simple understanding of what happened and contributing factors is necessary for our own safety. I can assure you that if something happened to me on track I'd want people to learn from it.
+1.

I did not understand the NASA thread at all, the guy made it home ok and he said he was ok, then he died? Complications from a broken bone?

Quick Reply: Truly sad news