Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truly sad news

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I have heard from people that were there, it took quite a while to cut him out of the car. He was taken to Mansfield hospt. and and it was determined condition was very severe. Sent (airlift?) to Coloumbus hospt. where he passed.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Damned cruel sport sometimes. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.

Richard, please don't take this as disrespect, but I have to question putting a damper on discussions of what happened. It's not morbid curiosity in my case. We ALL face this potential every time we put a wheel on a track. Having an understanding how something went bad is worthwhile IMHO. Idle speculation and any accusations are counter-productive. But a simple understanding of what happened and contributing factors is necessary for our own safety. I can assure you that if something happened to me on track I'd want people to learn from it.

So, I'm not necessarily saying I want to see a discussion here. I'm just not sure that no discussion is a worthwhile thing either.

My heart goes out to his loved ones. There are times I hate this sport.
+1 again. Especially those who will shortly be racing the same venue in less than a month have an interest in the circumstance.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Has anyone heard from Larry ? How is he holding up ?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Gregg, I sent him an e-mail today and have not heard back yet...He was seemingly OK in the pits afterwards.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I spoke to Larry yesterday. He spent Sun night in Mansfield. He is banged-up and sore but basically ok. He was in good spirits until I told him about John Engle. He did not know as, when we left the track, we were told that he was ok. I don't think Larry posts here but he is very grateful for all of the help and concern that everyone showed.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would like to send larry an e-mail as well. i spoke to him after the accident and you could tell and was holding up well but hurting (figuatively).

After seeing the M3 and the 944 (post accident) i am taking my car to the cage builder next week for upgraded door bars and rear diagonals. I have a single door bar and will have it made like cup car door bars are done. This is my takeaway.

Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikew968
I would like to send larry an e-mail as well. i spoke to him after the accident and you could tell and was holding up well but hurting (figuatively).

After seeing the M3 and the 944 (post accident) i am taking my car to the cage builder next week for upgraded door bars and rear diagonals. I have a single door bar and will have it made like cup car door bars are done. This is my takeaway.

Mike
Mike, I sent Larry an email earlier as well. I don't know how I would deal with a situation like this, hopefully we can all help Larry get through this. Both John and Larry are stand up guys. At the last race, I spent a LOT of time with Larry as he was in the garage next to me. Nicest guy you could ever meet.

-Eric Wong
#199 GTS3 M3
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Brown
+1 again. Especially those who will shortly be racing the same venue in less than a month have an interest in the circumstance.
It had nothing to do with the "venue". Watch the flags, know what they mean and try to avoid oil on the track's surface.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

John I agree with you wholehartedly.
Mike who is doing your cage ?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

I am working with a small cage builder just east of Indy who built my original cage. I will check with him to see if he would like his name out there. This guy builds cup car cages and does a lot of drag cage work. I have a single door bar and after seeing the M3 (it also has dual door bars) I would like more protection. Also the diagonals from the main hoop to the back corners of Larry's car help protect the fuel tank.

Richard, i agree that really watching for the flaggers is critical. Because I saw the slippery flag i was able to quickly avoid the oil and get to the right of the track.

Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
magnetic1
Racer

I am working with a small cage builder just east of Indy who built my original cage. I will check with him to see if he would like his name out there. This guy builds cup car cages and does a lot of drag cage work. I have a single door bar and after seeing the M3 (it also has dual door bars) I would like more protection. Also the diagonals from the main hoop to the back corners of Larry's car help protect the fuel tank.

Richard, i agree that really watching for the flaggers is critical. Because I saw the slippery flag i was able to quickly avoid the oil and get to the right of the track.

Mike
Mike, I emailed you, but figured it might also help to post here. Remember the door bars are only as good as their weakest link. When you have yours build, be sure to tie them into the nodes of other portions of your cage.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that is horrific new!!!

May his soul Rest In Peace.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

A few simple words after seeing all this from the grand stands and watching John being cut out of the car.

1. Many of us seem to forget all the rules say, "the cage is to protect the driver".
2. I would never race with a bolt in cage. ...my mind definately changed as I did for 5 years.
3. Who cares how much the safety equip costs.
4. Must look at corner stations
5. Wish we all could have spotters around track

...absolutely horrible outcome.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Joe:

Could you expand on points 1 and 2.

Mike
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Joe:

Could you expand on points 1 and 2.
Mike
Please start a different thread if you do.

My heartfelt condolences and prayers to his friends and family.

Quick Reply: Truly sad news