Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truly sad news

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Larry C is OK. He has some bruises and a torn muscle in his leg...His carbon fiber seat saved his life according to him...center tunnel on the car was twisted.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Funeral Services Friday

Very sorry to hear of this tragedy. My deepest condolences to the friends and family of John.

Viewing hours will be from 3:00 to 8:00 on Thursday

Funeral Service will be at 11:00 on Friday (at Walkers)

Walker Funeral Home - more info »
248 E South St, Winchester, IN
(765) 584-3231

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...num=1&ct=image

Last edited by JPhillips-998; 08-22-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Larry C is OK. He has some bruises and a torn muscle in his leg...His carbon fiber seat saved his life according to him...center tunnel on the car was twisted.
That's very good to hear. PLEASE let him know if there is anything we can do for him.

Im still saddened by all this and my thoughts are with everyone involved.

There was mention of a memorial fund for John, does anyone have anymore information on that?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Wow, great to hear.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brant,

Thank goodness for that. Losing any one person is bad enough. If you have a phone number or email address for Larry I'd sure like to drop him a get well note.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
I am working with a small cage builder just east of Indy who built my original cage. I will check with him to see if he would like his name out there. This guy builds cup car cages and does a lot of drag cage work. I have a single door bar and after seeing the M3 (it also has dual door bars) I would like more protection. Also the diagonals from the main hoop to the back corners of Larry's car help protect the fuel tank.

Richard, i agree that really watching for the flaggers is critical. Because I saw the slippery flag i was able to quickly avoid the oil and get to the right of the track.

Mike
Greg Risk is his name. Jon Wright uses him.

Shame this happened, Godspeed to John.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Racers in Ohio may want to talk with Mark McMahan...He does many of the cages in the Rolex cars...website is www.rollcageguy.com
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with his family...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Hammm3
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
I was there,I was on the track in the same race. Larry Collins car was stalled at the end of the back strait,left side for two laps. The starter flag station had a debis flag NO YELLOW . John hit the oil went into a violent spin and hit Larry's car at 100mph ? Lary was ok but shaken,I picked him up behind the Mid Ohio garage were he was left alone with his car (I was stunned). We heard John has a broken leg.
Five of my family members where there at the hill above maddness and said the accident was horrific.
Larry was the last person I shook hands with before we got into our cars and gridded for the race. We were in adjoining garages.
I will say a prayer for John and his family. I did not work alot today just thinking about the wreck and this was when I thought his leg was broken.
It took over a hour to remove him from the car...
Greg, If you could kindly edit your post as you have miss information in it.

Thanks and be safe,
Paul Hamm
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Hammm3
2nd Gear

Do to all the miss information about this on the web, I have the ok to post this from the people who mattered most.

Description of events-

Larry Collins driving a 944 lost his motor at the kink or about half way down the back straight. Larry went to drivers left as his car was filling with smoke and with limited visibility he felt that there where faster cars on the inside passing him. He went into the wet grass and slowed to a stop beyond the end of the straight. The 944 was in or next to china beach to the far left.

As John Engle in his M3 made his way around the track the starters flag station on the back straight was showing the debris flag, and the next station at the end of the straight was showing a yellow flag. The station at the top of the hill was clear.

John was around 10 sec. in front of the 944 when the engine let go, so it was around a 1:20 later he was making his way down the back straight. As John entered the area he went thought the oil and started to spin. The two cars came together 1:34 sec after the 944 came to a stop, right corner of the 944 to the left A pillar and door area of the M3. The cage on the M3 was pushed in enough that it had trapped John’s legs so that when he tried to get out he could not. The cage was cut away and John could move his feet as he was on his way to the hospital.

At the hospital it was discovered that John was bleeding internally some where in the upper chest cavity from the rate of deceleration at impact.

Larry hurt a muscle in his leg along and has a sore neck but will be fine.

If you feel the need to discuss details please due so privately (PM's, Email, Phone) and as we keep this to well wishes for the family. Thanks to all of you.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Paul. Please be sure to let John's family and friends we are all extending our deepest sympathy.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I apologize to all fellow rennlisters for any misinformaton I may have posted. I have the deepest sympathy for Johns family. My view was from that of a car in a race at the same time this occured an that of what my family saw siiting on the hill watching the actual race.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

God speed John.

My family is incredibly sorry for the loss to Johns family.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paul.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My sympathies to the family and friends of this racer.

Quick Reply: Truly sad news