Motion Sickness Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motion Sickness Solutions

Sorry, search isn't working right now.

Are there any medications that are safe to take for a DE that help prevent motion sickness? If I ride with an instructor, I'm toast for the rest of the day. And even if it is just me driving, by the afternoon sessions I'm feeling pretty bad. I've tried the wrist band, but it didn't work on the track for me. Anyone have any solutions? And yes, I know, drink LOTS of water.

TIA
Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zyrtec the night before will solve any motion sickness issues without the sides of the usual suspects
Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never really had any trouble in a car, but years ago a friend of mine who was a commercial lobsterman took me with him one day when it was realy rough conditions. I was ready to hurl almost before we left the harbor. He told me to "keep your eyes on the horizion at all times". It really worked for me. Haven't been seasick sense. Maybe you are looking around inside the car to much and that is what is making you sick.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't know antihistamine could control motion sickness. I have a friend who I take out now and then and he can't go more then a couple of laps before we has to come in. If he is driving, no issues. Ill see if this works.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM
silver44
Instructor

I don't ride all that well at times either...I have tried the wrist bands and they seem to help...bonine comes in chewable tablets and have helped me...but they do make you sleepy if you sit still for too long. I think I read a thread a while back that said something about ginger or something like it.

I spied this thread from StevoUK back in July

""Although officially recognized as a remedy for appetite loss, indigestion and motion sickness, ginger root has a proven ability to combat all forms of nausea and vomiting. It has also been taken to loosen phlegm, relieve gas, and tighten the tissues, although its effectiveness for these purposes hasn't been proven. Comparisons between ginger and prescription or non-prescription drugs for motion sickness relief have been conducted, but results were inconclusive. However, in some of these studies, similar effectiveness was seen between ginger and drugs.

Ginger may also ease sore throats, headaches, ulcerative colitis, some types of menstrual and arthritis pain, and fevers and aches caused by colds and flu.

Ginger has also been used in connection with minor gastrointestinal problems such as gas or heartburn. It is thought to improve muscle tone in the gastrointestinal tract. A few studies have provided preliminary evidence suggesting that ginger may be also useful in relieving both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Other traditional uses for ginger, such as for relieving toothaches, have not been proven by clinical studies. More research is needed for these and other possible uses of ginger."

Ginger cured my painfull shoulder joint in 4 days - it has an anti inflamatory effect too." (Sorry I don't know how to link the thread)

Search seems to be working now...
Old 08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Without being drugged, I'll get sea sick or rider sick every time. This is on Florida tracks and they are all FLAT. For years I took standard Dramamine or its generic but I ALWAYS had to nap from 1-2 in the afternoon. I've switched to non-drowsy Dramamine and the need to nap is gone.

Even when driving if I get race gas exhaust fumes in the car, I may have to end the session early!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Meclazine is more effective than dramamine, without the drowsy side effects. Available over the counter, works for 12 hrs.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm taking Dramamine 2 in the morning and 2 more in lunch. Feel a bit drowsy, but when get in the car and start driving goes away. Works for me.
lipam
Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

When I did my first DE at RA, I got terribly nauseous after the first couple runs. Fortunately a friend was there who happened to be an anesthesiologist. He took me to his house and gave me a sample of Emend: http://www.emend.com/aprepitant/emend/curtain_page.jsp This stuff worked like a charm and didn't make me drousy. The next time I do RA I'm going to ask my MD if he can Rx it for me. I imagine a scapolamine patch would work well also, as it does wonders for preventing sea-sickness.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm driving, I'm fine. But I'll be the first to admit that in the passenger seat, I get a little queasy sometimes. Especially if it is hot outside. It always feels 20 mph faster in the passenger seat for some reason...
Old 08-19-2007, 02:14 AM
deep_uv
RIP

I got queasy on my first DE ever which was at MSR Cresson, not enough to hurl, but enough to make me feel pretty bad by the end of the day. I just got my doctor to prescribe me the Transderm Scop patch. I just put one on the Friday night before the DE and I'm fine for the weekend.

Agreed on the looking at the horizon comment. My first DE, I'm sure I was staring 20 feet in front of the car the whole time which may have contributed to my motion sickness. As I've learned to look up the track and become more track aware through more DE's, maybe I don't need it. But, it's not worth screwing up a good weekend for me to test it out at this point.

Steve
Old 08-19-2007, 06:20 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I used to do a lot of offshore wreck diving and also would get sea sick rather easily. I know poor choice of hobbies, kill a long weekend prying junk off old rusty ships and launching your insides as payment. I have used all of the over the counter methods and there is one that is bullet proof remedy, the Transderm Scop patch. Not OTC but no sleepiness, you feel as if you are on terra firma and there is no reduction in mental capacity. Down side to it is it must be started the night before and some people get vivid dreams from it. I would, get vivid dreams if I used a whole patch for more than 3 days and I had to use a second patch. (each is good for 3 days,need protection for more than 3 days you remove the old one and place another under the other ear) 2 full size patches back to back had me seeing trails and some other trippy mental side effects. You can cut them in half and use 1/2. I found that for me 1/2 worked well and had 1/2 the side effects for single patch and none of the 1970s Mr. Natural blotter kind of sides when used back to back. For a driving weekend you could try 1/2 patch the Friday night before driving on track and remove the patch Sunday afternoon.

My ratings. 0 = no help at all 100= feel like you are sitting in the living room.

Patch. 100.

Dramamine. 40
non drowsy 20
Looking at a fixed point after getting sick. People tell you this so you will be near the rail when you barf.
wrist bans 0.0 There was some good testing done on mal de mere remedies and the bands had no measurable effect. The standard coment among divers was the bands do have some value. You can use them to wipe you mouth after booting.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
When I did my first DE at RA, I got terribly nauseous after the first couple runs. Fortunately a friend was there who happened to be an anesthesiologist. He took me to his house and gave me a sample of Emend: http://www.emend.com/aprepitant/emend/curtain_page.jsp This stuff worked like a charm and didn't make me drousy. The next time I do RA I'm going to ask my MD if he can Rx it for me. I imagine a scapolamine patch would work well also, as it does wonders for preventing sea-sickness.

It works but will cost you almost as much as a set of tires!

Seriously, it is very expensive so you should give some of the other options a try as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have used all of the over the counter methods and there is one that is bullet proof remedy, the Transderm Scop patch. Not OTC but no sleepiness, you feel as if you are on terra firma and there is no reduction in mental capacity. .
Obviously everyone is different and will experience the side effects of a medication differently.

Scopolamine is a wonderful medication for motion sickness BUT it can cause drowsiness so keep this in mind.

I am an anesthesiologist and I suffer from motion sickness. I use the Scop patch and have at times almost fallen asleep in the paddock. When I go to get in the car no issue. . . but a good part of the fun is hanging with the buds in the paddock so I don't want to just crash there.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I can look at a boat and get seasick. I even get seasick on the giant cruise ships. I just returned from a 12 day cruise which included one very rough excursion in a small boat. With the scopolamine patch I didn't suffer one bit of even the slightest seasickness. No side effects either. It is worth the hassle of getting your doc to call it in since it isn't over the counter.

Quick Reply: Motion Sickness Solutions