Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's going to the Lonestar region Sep 15 DE at TWS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith
T4 CCW (running CW)? I don't remember a problem with that, except the tire wall being a bit close. If that's it, then How do you feel about T9 CCW (running CCW)? That one likes to eat cars, and I've mowed the grass there a couple times on lap 1 cold tires!
In the rain, T4 CW is diabolical. PCA wants to be able to run CW in all weather (as they do now CCW), hence the changes.

By the way, the T9 wall has already been moved back, for the exact reason you state.

Drivers Edge does run CW. They and PCA have different ideas about safety in the rain, however.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
1 week out, the weather forecast calls for Partly cloudy, high 88 both days. Sure hope that forecast holds!
Actually, if it rains, that will be a great learning experience. I ran my first DE in the rain memorial weekend at MSR and it was a white knuckle experience, but if you accept it for what it is, there is a lot to learn for rookies like us. Looking back on it, I wish I'd pushed the car a little more to practice some slip control in the wet. I was kind of a chicken **** about pushing it because I didn't want to end up stuck in the mud. Even so, I had several butt clenching moments when I felt the car start to step out on me. Great thing about running in the rain is that you can get the car to start slipping at a much lower speed than on the dry. Another challenging thing about running in the rain is your have unlearn your line that you've memorized. The rain line is nothing like the dry line.

Of course, TWS does have those walls...
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In the rain, T4 CW is diabolical. PCA wants to be able to run CW in all weather (as they do now CCW), hence the changes.

By the way, the T9 wall has already been moved back, for the exact reason you state.

Drivers Edge does run CW. They and PCA have different ideas about safety in the rain, however.
I tested Dave's theory and can confirm that this is indeed true. T4 CW in the rain has owned many...noobs and experienced alike.

Although I'm sure Sir GhettoRacer would not have a problem and would most likely set a new track record going CW in the rain.

Dat
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TR6
Actually, if it rains, that will be a great learning experience. I ran my first DE in the rain memorial weekend at MSR and it was a white knuckle experience, but if you accept it for what it is, there is a lot to learn for rookies like us. Looking back on it, I wish I'd pushed the car a little more to practice some slip control in the wet. I was kind of a chicken **** about pushing it because I didn't want to end up stuck in the mud. Even so, I had several butt clenching moments when I felt the car start to step out on me. Great thing about running in the rain is that you can get the car to start slipping at a much lower speed than on the dry. Another challenging thing about running in the rain is your have unlearn your line that you've memorized. The rain line is nothing like the dry line.

Yeah, MSR in the rain and TWS in the rain...I'll take MSR in the rain anyday save for the river before little bend and the river before rattlesnake.

Coincidentally, I remember Ross Bentley stating that he actually built up his confidence driving in the rain by causing the car to slip in every turn. His theory was that he already knew what the car was going to do if he made it slide a little, so he wouldn't be caught off guard when it happened. I'll have to look it up and find the exact quote again as I'm paraphrasing.

Dat
Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6

I look forward to that experience some day even though it will be white knuckle for me too I'm sure. What I was really glad about was no 95+ degree temps. A high of 88 degrees should be a bit more comfortable than we were in June.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cosmosm3
I'll take MSR in the rain anyday save for the river before little bend and the river before rattlesnake.
MSR has to be one of the worst tracks in the rain. I'm not sure what they did but it's pretty much a waste of time as far as learning goes. The only line that makes sense is to drive on the outside of every turn where the marbles and crud has accumulated.

G.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by George A
MSR has to be one of the worst tracks in the rain. I'm not sure what they did but it's pretty much a waste of time as far as learning goes. The only line that makes sense is to drive on the outside of every turn where the marbles and crud has accumulated.

G.
I've only driven MSR in the rain on two different weekends. The first time, the drainage was working, but you're right, the track was like ice. The second time, the pumps weren't working at all and there were two lakes.

The reason I'd rather run at MSR (1.7) in the rain is due to runoff provided as opposed to TWS CW in the rain. T7 in the rain at TWS CW is also another pucker factor spot (at least for me).

Dat
Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

The traction is much, I mean much better at TWS in the rain than MSR. Yes, the runoffs are much better at MSR. My problem with MSR in the rain is that, while it is fun to drive for one session, I don't think you learn anything meaningful. That's not the way a car is supposed to react in the rain........

G.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and to make it worse, there are some parts of MSR (the new section) that seem to have a decent level of wet traction but other sections in the old part where it feels like you just hit a patch of ice. Gives richochet a whole new meaning...
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Yup, the new section is much better. I did one session in the rain at the club race (with Steve following me) and that was enough. I just wanted to put down a time for griding. There was a night and day difference when you got back on the old section. Ask Steve, it was almost comical how slow we were going but we were still passing a bunch of cars.

G.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, MSR is Jekyl & Hyde between the new/old sections. That big aggregate in the old section has been really durable in the Texas heat but it's slicker then snot when it gets wet I was amazed at how fun it was racing @ Heartland in the pouring rain when you have a decent wet surface to work with

PS: George, You have any interest in going to Daytona?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmosm3
Although I'm sure Sir GhettoRacer would not have a problem and would most likely set a new track record going CW in the rain.

Dat
LMFAO...

I echo what others have said about wet grip at MSR, new section vs. old section.

IMO, wet grip at TWS is pretty good, as George said, except for T4 and sometimes T8/T9.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Driving the 3.1 at MSR in the wet is like driving two different tracks on two different days. COMPLETELY different driving styles are required for each half.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMFAO...

I echo what others have said about wet grip at MSR, new section vs. old section.

IMO, wet grip at TWS is pretty good, as George said, except for T4 and sometimes T8/T9.
I don't disagree with George at all...TWS is definitely much grippier in the wet than MSR, but the close proximity of objects (e.g. walls, tires, etc...) at TWS is something else.

I haven't driven the new section of MSR in the rain and I don't think I will anytime soon. I'm a wuss, so both MSR and TWS in the rain scares me...now.

Has anyone driven MSR-H recently? Have they repaved to get rid of the bumps, etc...?

Dat
Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
PS: George, You have any interest in going to Daytona?
Naaa, too much going on. I'll be lucky if I can make Halette.

G.

Quick Reply: Who's going to the Lonestar region Sep 15 DE at TWS?