More on Harness Rules

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 12:52 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Why is having properly defined passing procedures nonsense?]
It's nonsense for ADVANCED drivers because at that level you should know where your car and other cars will be through a turn. A driver who can't figure that out, shouldn't be driving alone in the car. I'd love to learn how to play one piece on the piano perfectly. That doesn't mean I'd be a great piano player once I learned it There are many drivers in DE who are similar, they aren't particularly fast, and they drive the line perfectly over and over. It's often a false sense of skill because if some little thing goes wrong and they don't know how to react, they can get into trouble fast. Part of the education, in my opinion, should be really teaching how to drive, not just following the line and passing on the left.

I'd like to see more drill type activities at DE because I've learned a lot from doing these things myself. For example, how about a "No Brakes" session? Or a "Drive on the left" session? If DE is really about education, then lets come up with ways to increase skills, rather than just on-line speed around the track.

Just because you personally may think that a particular passing side is comfortable for you doesn't mean you are making the right choice. Do you have over 10 hours at that track or are you there for your first ever day?
Is this about me personally? Yes, it will be perfectly safe to pass me on either side on a track I've never been to on the first lap.

Do you really think it is a good idea to come to such an event?
It was fun, I'll probably do it again. A little more aggressive than the Nurburgring, but not that different. If it's not a good idea for you, then you don't do it.

How long does the Nurburgring manage to stay continuously open on public days? 45 minutes at a time? And then they have to scrape someone off the railing.
I don't think you have a valid point here, I was there several days and I think there was only 1 incident that shut the track down. That was a bike accident, nothing to do with what we are discussing here.
Old 08-06-2007 | 01:09 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Darren,

Having the passing side pre-defined does not equal mindlessly following the same line over and over. In my region (the same region as amaist), the passing rule is simply: the passing car should be given the inside to the next corner. This way, whenever there is a late pass, the passing car has the inside line which is a lot safer. But not only is it safer, but it forces the passing driver to use their vision skills to get through the corner properly since they are now off line, which is educational.

Last edited by sjanes; 08-06-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2007 | 01:46 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really...

There's not a lot of difference in the positions here.

The local Le Circuit PCA Region has been very careful in exactly who has progressed into their advanced groups for a long time. That has its bad points for sure, but it also has the effect of allowing a comfort level that is not present in many less perspicacious organizations. Their advanced group is as aggressive as any other you'd find. The difference is that the line is well known, understood, even courted, but rarely ever crossed. THAT is what seperates them from the pack.

Trackmasters is run much the same way, and you can be comfortable driving in very close proximity at a very high level.

Of course, most of them up'n'air have never driven any other track... but that's another thread.

There is also not a tremendous difference in a "good" vs- "bad" pca event, except for the amount of hard work it takes to get better. There's a lot to be said for getting better!
Old 08-06-2007 | 01:46 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren

I'd like to see more drill type activities at DE because I've learned a lot from doing these things myself. For example, how about a "No Brakes" session? Or a "Drive on the left" session? If DE is really about education, then lets come up with ways to increase skills, rather than just on-line speed around the track.
So regions (like my local one) do those kinds of things once in a while. Yes, it is educational.

Is this about me personally? Yes, it will be perfectly safe to pass me on either side on a track I've never been to on the first lap.
No, nothing to do with you. I have never seen you at the track so I can't possibly have an opinion about your driving. As sjanes pointed out well defined passing procedures are beneficial. I don't want to get a signal from someone who is not familiar with the track and that forces me to go on the outside of the next corner while that person has to figure out how to properly slow down. Yes, it is very stupid to limit passing just to one side of the car without regard for the next corner (some organizations do that and that is idiotic). Also having predictability over the side on which I will pass helps. Remember, this is not racing. We have to dial it down a bit in some areas to decrease risk. If you can't possibly enjoy a well structured event then I suggest not coming.

It was fun, I'll probably do it again. A little more aggressive than the Nurburgring, but not that different. If it's not a good idea for you, then you don't do it.
Let me know how you feel about it if you have a car that you can't replace tomorrow and then some yahoo in a ****bucket rams into you after dive bombing the corner. I am all for close driving. I just like to do it with people I can trust not to do obviously stupid stuff. I understand mistakes can happen but at least I don't get to experience the dumb ones.

There are plenty of organizations in North America that don't treat you like a child once you prove you can drive at an appropriate level.
Old 08-06-2007 | 01:57 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Really...

Of course, most of them up'n'air have never driven any other track... but that's another thread.

Hey pipe down, down there. It's hard to justify going to Mid Ohio/VIR when Calabogie is only an hour from my house. That's what my wife keeps telling me anyway

Quick Reply: More on Harness Rules