Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Best restaurant near Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The over cooked rubber chicken at the Glen Club.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
The over cooked rubber chicken at the Glen Club.
VERY overcooked...

http://www.theglen.com/533353.html
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for Glenora Winery. Excelent food, and if the weather is nice you can sit outside with a spectacular view of the lake. Its 5-10 minutes north of town on the west side of the lake.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

"3 Birds" right by the Radisson in Corning.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the view at Glenora can be good, but the food really wasn't very good (we must be picky). They try too hard to be fancy gourmet there with the crazy combination of ingredients. The steak was an average cut at best. Of the 4 plates, nobody raved and two of us didn't even finish.

Jerlando's on the other hand, we really enjoyed. Not just because the food was exceptionally good for what looks like an average place, but because the atmosphere and fairly authentic Italian seating and "background noise" was really charming. Huge portions!

I've eaten so many places at The Glen and I keep coming back to Seneca for a Steak and dirty rice. Just a great cut of meat perfectly prepared...

Ron
Old 07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just curious to what people consider "great food"......

I have been to several restaurants around the Glen area including the Seneca Lodge and the Station, the quality has been average at best, if you are looking for an exceptional dining experience, I doubt there is anything even close around the Glen....

But like Phokaioglaukos, I will be looking, in a couple of weeks, for a "decent" restaurant around the glen where they don't overcook the steaks, know what extra-vergin olive oil or sea salt is and don't serve Wonder bread and butter....

So please continue with the reccomandations......
Old 07-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For the white table cloth place it looks like Geneva on the Lake Resort. Not that close, but there will be time one night. For other nights, looking at Madder Lake Cafe in Geneva, but much closer, Stone Cat, Red Newt and, for one night for sure, the Seneca Lodge. For lunch I'll do Mr. Chicken at least once.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Boston, call me Chris. For me, great food is fresh, local food prepared with a light touch letting the natural flavors come through. Not sure that there will much in the WGI area, but I have hopes for Madder Lake Cafe. The Stone Cat smokes a number of their own items, and I like that. Red Newt has pretenssions, but others have found them fulfilled, so I'll try again. For steak or prime rib, I think you need to limit yourself in the WGI neighborhood to the Seneca Lodge.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Boston, call me Chris. For me, great food is fresh, local food prepared with a light touch letting the natural flavors come through. Not sure that there will much in the WGI area, but I have hopes for Madder Lake Cafe. The Stone Cat smokes a number of their own items, and I like that. Red Newt has pretenssions, but others have found them fulfilled, so I'll try again. For steak or prime rib, I think you need to limit yourself in the WGI neighborhood to the Seneca Lodge.
Chris, I suspect that if you are looking for a nice restaurant, you are probably going to the event with your wife or girlfriend. If that is not the case, I wouldn't mind joining you in a search for a "nice" restaurant.....

BTW, you must be an OK guy, you like Italian bikes......

Oh, I almost forgot, don't forget your Pyrometer.......
Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

In Ithaca, John Thomas Restaurant is as good as any NYC steakhouse, Peter Lugers included!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Boston, hoping that my wife joins me, or my daughter, but if not....

Pyrometer is packed and ready to go.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

To be perfectly clear - there is no great food in the WGI area, period. Some (Jerlando's and Seneca) have certain aspects that bring them to the front when I'm in town for a DE. Avoid at all cost the restaurant right at the southern tip of Seneca Lake (or at the northern tip of the town center strip).
Old 07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

I'll third or fourth Glenora. What about the Castle at the top of the lake?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Yes, Glenora is a great place to stay - when the 4 of us were there for the CVR DE last month the whole family really enjoyed the rooms w/ balconies overlooking the lake. But the food?!?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've enjoyed the food at the Glenora winery ( the restaurant has it's own name but I can't recall it)

Castle Grilsch OK.

SEnenca Lodge food is OK dpeending on what you order. Best bet is to knock back some $ Genny drafts first.( great Bar!)

Jerlandos' is an average Italian resturant at best and the Chinese place downtown is cheap and filling.

Best thing to do is have a big breakfast at Savard's ( on main street) in the AM.

I've been eyeballing Mr Chicken. maybe I'll try it next week

Quick Reply: OT: Best restaurant near Watkins Glen?