Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that they stole a car from an unmarked trailer in a short time means they were pros who new exactly what was in there.

How? they have a "spotter" with access to the paddockat the track who gets a few bucks for information and can't be connected to the actual deed.

The local cops have been stymied this way before I'm sure and will tend to work on things more important and easier than some 'rich" American's toy.

The people who run LCMT are aware of this I'm sure. What they do about it is the question.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynarace
Yes, it's "insured", but we'll see what they offer. I have all the invoices and in-progress photos of the engine as well as the chassis work, but I suspect they're going to come up with some reason why they won't do true replacement costs...
When my 944S2 was stolen four years ago (it was a daily driver) I got jerked around by the insurance company. I read and re read the NYS insurance law, and built a spreadsheet to determine fair market value (insurance law uses a different term of art for the same thing).

I will be happy to share my spreadsheet and metodology used to 'appraise' or 'value' my car.

I got a lot of help with porsche specific type issues from a conversation with Jim Shrager from sports car market and the 356 registry. The letter I sent him and SCM as a thank you/update was tweaked (for the better) and became a "legal files" article in SCM, and was recently re published in MetroNY's post.

When I move to Denver next month i will probably offer it to my new region.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about the loss!

I, too, had to muck around with my insurance co on a modified vehicle. I had dropped about $48,000 worth of receipts into the car incl. orig. $10k purchase price, and upon the car being totaled in an accident got all of $7500 because agreed value wasn't met prior to the event.

I sincerely hope this is NOT the case with yours. Best of luck, and maybe with said luck, yours will turn up like that Ferrari Challenge car did awhile back.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Dynarace
Track Day

Came across this lock by Blaylock Industries - I think this would have prevented the method that the thieves used to get into my trailer, FWIW. Of course where there's a will, there's a way...
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right about that. A cordless angle grinder with a cut off wheel will go trough the drop bar in 5 seconds regardless of the lock used. Press a wet sponge against out fall side of the wheel and the sound and spark spray is muffled.
This tool is the devil to locks. It can ether bypass or cut any padlock you can reach with it. Self contained local and remote signal alarm system.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

I still think a hazardous waste sticker, or some sort of triggered smoke bomb might do the trick. Sucks that we even need to think like this.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
nize
Banned

Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Good luck crossing the border with those. With the current level of paranoia in the fight against "teh-arr" it should provide for amusing results. Let us know which brand of gloves they use for the cavity search.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next time you go to Tremblant, my brother and his friends said they would come.........

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Sad to say, but it sounds like it's gone.

Unsticking.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race car theft has been going on for a long time. The ex owner of one of my 935's had a tube frame 934 he bought from the Heimraths stolen out of a hotel parking lot back in the early 80's after racing at Riverside. All my racing budies that are in so cal remeber all these 934 parts floating around for sale at the time .... they took the whole trailer. If I had to guess I would say the car is getting parted out. Whenever I hear a story like this it reminds me of John Travolta talking to Eric Stoltz about someone messing with his car ... this pretty much sums up how I feel about it

Lance: Still got your Malibu?
Vincent: Aw, man. You know what some f&*er did the other day?
Lance: What?
Vincent: F*&^%ing keyed it.
Lance: Oh, man, that's f*&^%d up.
Vincent: Tell me about it. I had it in storage for three years, it was out for five days and some dickless piece of s*&t f&*^%d with it.
Lance: They should be f*&^%ing killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
Vincent: Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that a-hole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it.
Lance: What a f*&^%er!
Vincent: What's more chickens*&t than f^&%$ng with a man's automobile? I mean, don't f&^%k with another man's vehicle.
Lance: You don't do it.
Vincent: It's just against the rules.

and it is .. I hope they catch the guys and put them in a cell for a long time with double bubba
Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a heads up to Rennlisters that a couple of years ago a 944 (turbo I think) was highly modified, much talked about on Rennlist, and wound up stolen. The thief was a Rennlist poster! (And ultimately caught, but not before the car was totally stripped). Be careful of what you post here. The walls have ears.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the insurance company, I had a conversation with my Allstate agent last year about what kind of payment i would receive if the car was stolen. He did a quick look up and said about $6500.

I had well over 25K invested in it and that is when i decided to get PTS (Paddock, Transportation & Storage) insurance with Heacock. As was stated earlier we agreed an a value and paid the very reasonable premium. If something ever happens to it and it dissapears I hope the check would be "in the mail" shortly.

I think it's very hard to try to document the value of a vehicle after the fact. Hopefully we can all learn from this unfortunate event.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Just a heads up to Rennlisters that a couple of years ago a 944 (turbo I think) was highly modified, much talked about on Rennlist, and wound up stolen. The thief was a Rennlist poster! (And ultimately caught, but not before the car was totally stripped). Be careful of what you post here. The walls have ears.
Very true.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Well I came across this thread and felt sorry for the poster who's car got stolen. I've been there myself. Actually, it was my 944T that was stolen from a user here on Rennlist a few years back, so don't think it can't happen here! Only God and JD knows what I went through with my car.

smlporsche: A little bit of education here with insurance. I 'highly' recommend to anyone who is worried about their car being stolen to have all of your documents in place, (purchase agreement and all aftermarket receipts) and to approach your insurance company. You want to try and have them agree to an 'agreed amount' of value for the car. If this is in place, this is the mutually agreed amount the car is worth if in the event it is ever stolen, and that dollar amount cannot be contested once both parties agreed to it.

Quick Reply: Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT