Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Dynarace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT

Still in shock...

Lost my heavily modified black '87 930 (WPOJB0936HS050090) this week (7/12/07) when thieves broke in to my locked trailer while I was at breakfast at the Comfort Inn in Mont-Tremblant. They unloaded it and drove it away, along with my spare set of Fikse/Hoosier's that were also in the trailer.

Don't expect to realistically see the car again, but just a heads up if you all ever see it or its parts for sale. This was a unique track car that I've owned for 16 years and gradually turned into a very respectable track car. Also semi-street legal with Maine registration. A family member is gone...

Some of the mods:

Engine: Blue-printed 930 w/ Carrillo rods, 3.4 L cylinders/Mahle pistons, Ti valves & springs, machined heads, twin-plug XDI ignition, Garrett 60-1 turbo, Kokeln intercooler, 964 Sport camsshaft, B&B stainless exhaust/heat exchangers, solid motor mounts etc., etc.

Chassis: Black stock exterior with slant-nose lower rocker side panels and front oil cooler. Brembo Big Reds with dual master cylinder adjustable brake bias, custom blue full roll cage and shock tower reinforcements, Fabcar shifter, Sparco Evo II blue seats with red belts, blue Momo steering wheel with Cup car detachment hub, Lexan rear windows, big sways, monoball suspension points, Hot Lap timer, full fire extinquisher system with external button and electric kill switch, VDO boost gauge, Fikse FM10 17" wheels with Hoosiers (315/35, 245/40) - 2 sets, etc., etc.

More info/details/photos available. Feel free to PM me if you hear/see anything. Lesson learned - never trust a locked trailer...

Linc Avery
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2007, 10:06 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

First post and it has to be like this. So sorry to hear such a tragedy, Linc. This is the first car theft I have heard of at the track. In broad daylight no less. I really hope it finds its way home.

Good luck to you and welcome to Rennlist.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Wow, so sorry to hear. Sadly, instinct tells me the thief/thieves knew exactly what was in your trailer. Perhaps they had seen you at the track. No comfort in that, I know.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
chrisoutzen
Advanced

A blue BMW from the same NER DE was broke into while strapped to its trailer. It was parked in P1 next to my trailer. Apparently, the thieves wanted the helmets left in the passenger's seat. So anyone heading up the LCMT be a little careful where you park!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear and I hope the best for you in getting it back. Don't give up! A fellow 928 owner had to track his car down for almost 2-3 years before he got it back. Like your's, it was heavily modified and worth the effort in recovering it.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Wow that sucks big time. That has to be an all time low to go after race cars. Heads up for everybody who leaves the keys in the car all day long at the track..... And I'm one of them.

Even though I don't own the place or the city, I feel really bad for all you guys coming up to have fun at our local track and bad **** happens. In the end we'll have a bad rep and people will stop coming.

Sorry again!!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

That is terrible... I have found out the hard way by managing a small hotel that thieves work in all our parking lots as small properties cannot really afford full time security with the wages these companies command and the thieves know that... So always leave nothing inside a car and if you make a reservation ask the hotel about security or if they will let you park in front of the main door. When I travel I always ask and you will be surprised how many properties allow me to do just that. My self knowing the pain I do allow this and I always hire security for the parking lot if I have an event with racers coming that I know off... Not everyone understands like me though, so I would advise everyone to be asking about security before making the res. If enough people base their booking on the fact that security needs to be provided, then I'm sure at least one property will do just that...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 PM
jester911
Drifting

That is horrible. Maybe you would want to post a few more pics and even the VIN for folks to watch out for this car. Pics of unique parts on the car as well since it will probably be parted out.

Sorry for the loss.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sorry to hear that def put up more pics so we can all keep our eyes open.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That's really a damned shame. I'd be thinking about posting your note everywhere possible ... maybe in every forum on Rennlist to start. It's a great resource. The more eyes looking for it, the better. I don't know all the other forums, but Pelican might be another. Also, I'd send a note to EVERY PCA Region President and Track Chair asking for their assistance. It's in all our interest to make sure the thief is caught.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Another thought. Awhile back, Jim Newman was putting together a list of independent Porsche service shops in the US. He posts here under the name Cupcar, I think. Maybe you could send a notice to each of them, too.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Dynarace
Track Day

Originally Posted by Black930
damn sorry to hear that def put up more pics so we can all keep our eyes open.
I'll try to post some more pics later - they're on a different computer. None of the parts are unique by themselves, but if you see an eBayer selling off red Brembo's, Sparco blue race seats, and a Garrett turbo - that's our man.

I'm working PCA as we speak, and obviously just joined Rennlist to get the word out (never made time before - ). Makes me at least feel like I'm doing something since it's just another day for the police...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These weren't your typical thieves....this sounds like they followed you waiting for the right moment....the fact they hit when you were at brekfast and stole it from a locked trailer in broad daylight tells me that this just wasn't a target of opportunity, this was planned out....I would bet that they were at the last race you attended and were hanging around your car there and watching you run, or were somewhere where you had the car out for a demo or show???.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Linc,

Terrible news about your car, but if you don't know, Montreal is close to the top of the stolen-car capitol of North America.

The cars are usually stolen by the Hells Angels along with organized crime, or the latter alone. They know exactly what they are taking; they scout the areas, pick the cars they want, and go for it. They are extremely good at their job. Don't ask how we know; it's a long story.

It is terrible to hear that this is now apparently moving up to LCMT. Margo's and my advise is to keep after not only the local police, but the RCMP and keep as much pressure on them as possible. Sometimes, these cars can be found if they haven't been instantly shipped overseas.

The other thing you may want to try, is a bribe couched in "finders fee" terms to the local Hells Angels. Good luck. We know how painful it is to have the car stolen like that, expecially one that you have cherished and worked on for so many years.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Arnie, don't get me wrong but Linc's lost has nothing to do with what you've just stated. First of all Montreal's recent car stealing spree (total of 20 cars got stolen) is one isolated case and the city is no where near being at the top of stolen-car capitol (L.A. with 73 000 cars last year). So lets not get carried away.

Stealing a 87 930 track car is not what the Hells Angels are after and it's not like their's a big market for track cars. The hells like to be discrete in their business and are after mass production cars(like the jeep grand cherokee a couple of years ago getting shipped to middle East). Not to be mistaken with the movie "gone in 60 seconds".

Quick Reply: Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT