Sponsored by:

Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Arnie, I am not quite sure what your point is or how it helps the situation.....
Boston DMD,

Our point was to let the community know that this IS a real, ongoing problem that has been around for quite a while and that people need to be careful and not let down their guard, even in a beautiful area such as Mont-Tremblant, during one of our favorite PCA events anywhere.

For those who are not familiar with that part of the world, the location of the theft was not far from Mont-Tremblant and about an hour north of Montreal.

We have known Linc for many years and were just trying to give him as much information as possible.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcar86
Exactly, call me naive but the place is so beautiful that thefts never crossed my mind at least.
+2
Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Dynarace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Linc,
We will try to get information on how to offer a "finders fee" but are not sure if that information is still available. The fee was rather high and was not covered by insurance. In fact, the insurance companies, for obvious reasons, discourage it.
Reviewing my policy, there apparently is an Auto Theft Reward of $2000 "in the event of a recovered loss for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone stealing the covered auto. A reward will not be paid to any "family member" or any public official while performing their duty".

I don't think any reward is likely to get the car back intact at this point though...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

That really sucks! Looks like they planned to hit you at an opportune time, they probably spotted your car at the track. Was anybody at the track asking a lot of questions or hanging around? I would send pics to all the tracks in the eastern US and Canada, there are only so many places a car like this can be driven. Unless they strip it and part it out. F##king scumbags.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Dynarace
Track Day

The car gets regular track scrutiny, but everyone who was checking it out was a known driver. I think what probably nailed me was the simple "Haulmark.com Race Trailers" decal on the trailer...
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Chris Lovell
Intermediate

Linc,
I posted your original and very sad rennlist post to Pelican's 911 BBS. As may have said, the more that know, the better. It was such a great time at LCMT...
Chris L
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Might be worth it to get a Lo-Jack system installed in our vehicles. Down here in Central Florida we've had a few thefts too. Usually the transporter is what they're after but I know personally of a couple of SCCA race cars stolen too.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srf506
Might be worth it to get a Lo-Jack system installed in our vehicles. Down here in Central Florida we've had a few thefts too. Usually the transporter is what they're after but I know personally of a couple of SCCA race cars stolen too.
When I was down at the Daytona 500, DeWalt had a huge setup outside demoing all their tools and they had this pretty cool mobile tracking system for job site containers, trailers and pretty much anything else that can get stolen. It is kind of neat because you can transfer it between items (or cars and trailers) so it isn't a permanent installation.

Not affiliated at all with Dewalt, I do like their tools though. Found a link to their tracking system here:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/security/mobilelock/
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being at the same event at Tremblant, and discussing it with the large number of folks that continued on to Calabogie, makes me really like the way that Watkins Glen handles paddock visitors - i.e. visitors must be on the list at the gate to get in !

Breaking into an enclosed trailer means they knew what specifically was in it, and at most tracks visitors can just scribble anything on the track waiver and come on in to case out victims !
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

I unfortunately know a pain like yours right now. I had a rare American big block muscle car stolen from me a couple of months ago in my small town. I am working all the time to find it. It is a member of the family. I am hopeful it will come home soon. I also wish you the best in recovering yours. Good luck to you.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Linc,

Truly sorry to hear this. I was shocked when I saw your post and I still can't believe it happened.

My wife (Dot) and I wish you the best of luck in recovering your car.

John
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Dynarace
Track Day

Originally Posted by investlt

My wife (Dot) and I wish you the best of luck in recovering your car.

John
John - that ride I gave Dot ended up being the last time I drove the car. It was memorable for both of us I suspect as she seemed to be really enjoying herself, and I was enjoying passing our way up to eventually several lone traffic-free laps on a gorgeous day.

A great final memory...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Linc
I had heard (at Calabogie) that your wonderful car was stolen.
We'll keep an eye out for it for you.
At the track, we all worry about dinging the car - too bad we also have to worry about theft.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynarace
Reviewing my policy, there apparently is an Auto Theft Reward of $2000 "in the event of a recovered loss for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone stealing the covered auto. A reward will not be paid to any "family member" or any public official while performing their duty".

I don't think any reward is likely to get the car back intact at this point though...
Linc,

Margo just called a contact of ours who made some suggestions. Keep after the police, particularly the Montreal ones. See if you can get the police to give you the names of some chop shops in Montreal and Mont-Tremblant or spots in between,, as this is the route that many of these cars go.

We may have some more information for you later and we'll send that to you in a private post.

Just be prepared, the ransom on the cars FAR exceeds $2,000, if that is even an option.

Quick Reply: Stolen 930 Track Car at LCMT