Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what size brake lines should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Brendan, fwiw, I'm going to be running a gt3r clutch which uses the push type tilton throwout bearing (see pic) and the porsche motorsports flex hose that connects to the feed line is a -4.

the stock solid 993 clutch line is pretty large.

btw, thx for the pegasus link. I'll need one of those to go from stock clutch solid line (which I have) to the -4 flex line.

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-18-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

911 & 964 are 3/16"(I looked it up as 4.75mm), 993 and later use 6mm

The size of the line doesn't affect the pedal feel in any material way, either in travel or in hardness.

The reason to use bigger lines is to move a larger volume of fluid in a shorter period of time. cold temps, ABS, bigger caliper pistons and bigger m/c pistons make this more desireable.

There is no negative to using bigger than necesary lines except that there is more fluid in them.

The smaller line only becomes too small when it can't process enough fluid to serve the caliper pistons.

Even w/ a very large piston complement like a 993RS uses, 3/16" are sufficient 99.999% of the time
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Brendan, fwiw, I'm going to be running a gt3r clutch which uses the push type tilton throwout bearing (see pic) and the porsche motorsports flex hose that connects to the feed line is a -4.

the stock solid 993 clutch line is pretty large.

btw, thx for the pegasus link. I'll need one of those to go from stock clutch solid line (which I have) to the -4 flex line.
That is a serious-*** throwout bearing! What are you trying to move, a train?

My clutch line is larger than 1/4 even. I think its like -6. weird.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

regarding the TO bearing, I was just happy to find out I had the correct one. it's for tilton 7.25" two plate clutch.

Yes, the actual hard line to the clutch is large (~1/4").
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Joe, do yourself a favor and use the factory lines which are available from your dealer at a reasonable cost. I would buy them and the plastic clips that attach to the factory studs on the chassis so you have a factory fit. If you have an ABS pump, the lines from the master cylinder to the ABS pump are larger than the lines from the ABS pump to the calipers.

If you have the Tilton master cylinders, I would agree that you want to use as much hard line as you can, however, I would use metric, not SAE.

If you want to make lines, you can use teflon braided lines with screw on connectors which will work fine. I used these for my lines from the master cylinder to the ABS pump because I put brake pressure transducers (-3) in the line.

For the hydraulic release bearing, you'll need -4 supply and a -3 bleed line with the proper bleeder end. You may also want to install a quick release dry break on the clutch line so you can remove the trans without rebleeding the system.

Quick Reply: what size brake lines should I run?