Sponsored by:

How important is corner balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is corner balancing

Hi all, kind of a newbie here, so forgive me for the dumb question.

I have a 996 GT3 that I do appx. 6-7 DE's a year and maybe 1 or 2 TT. How important is it to have a corner balance on the car? Because there will be an instructor in the passenger side most of the time, do I compensate the corner balancing for a 200# person on that side or not? Am I over thinking this because of the lack of tracktime this car will see?

I've done an alignment on the car and it feels really good and predictable. I thought I'd post here in this forum to get everyones opinion.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes, you're over thinking it but getting the car corner balanced for me is part of the initial track alignment process, as are ride height settings. If the car is stock I wouldn't worry about it until you get to a point where you do more track time or make a change in the car's suspension.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of the box the GT3 will be more than fine and any adjustments that you make to a non-race car GT3 would be hard to notice IMO. I corner balanced mine, but only because the entire suspension system was replaced/rebuilt so like with Gary's car, it was part of my alignment process.

I often hear people obsessing over 1/2 lb tire pressure adjustments, that is hard for me to take seriously for DE. Part of the learning is learning how to drive around issues IMO.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Corner balance really comes into play when you are good enough to control weight transfer. Then it becomes very important. You would balance the car without the passenger's weight considered since you should be alone in the car when you are pushing that hard.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corner balancing is so important that if every car were properly corner balanced, there would be no global warming.

Your car should be corner balanced properly, which should be relatively easy to achieve assuming the frame has not been tweaked. However, I doubt that most amatuers could detect whether a car is slightly out of corner balance . . .
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Corner balancing is so important that if every car were properly corner balanced, there would be no global warming.
LOL

Actually one way to tell if you car is really out of corner balance is if it is unstable under hard braking (Assuming that your brakes work properly).

Cornerbalancing is akin to fixing a wobbly chair. With a chair that has one leg that is just a bit shorter than the others, it rocks back and forth based on the transfer of weight. A car will do this too, based on a transfer of weight during hard braking, etc.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Can you corner balance a stock GT3. I know my stock 997 C2S can not be corner balanced.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Can you corner balance a stock GT3. I know my stock 997 C2S can not be corner balanced.
Who told you that? Why?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noel
LOL

Actually one way to tell if you car is really out of corner balance is if it is unstable under hard braking (Assuming that your brakes work properly).

Interesting knowledge. How unstable is unstable? My 1983 911 would get wiggly in the brake zones...to my knowledge it has never even been aligned past the factory.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Who told you that? Why?
Dont you need adjustable coilovers to corner balance or can you do a stock set up?? I dont know either
Old 07-11-2007, 01:16 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

On a car with coil springs like a GT3, corner balancing is not THAT important. The springs should be made to tight tolerances in length and spring rate, so if all four corners springs and spring mounts are not damaged, the corner balance should be fine. You CANNOT corner balance a newer stock 911 anyway as they don't have adjustable spring perches from the factory.

On a car with torsion bars like an older 911, there is no easy way to set a "perch height". You can try to install the torsion bars so the car is level, but you can be WAY OFF and have one diagonal supporting the majority of the car's weight even if the car is perfectly level. So you need to corner balance an older 911 after making changes to torsion bars.

Corner balancing has NOTHING TO DO WITH weight distribution or compensation for passengers/etc. Think of it as setting the springs to support the actual weight of their respective corners, whatever that is. You can't change weight distribution by corner balancing, the balance is either right or wrong. However you can tweek one diagonal to have a little more weight for example if you are running on a track with primarily right hand turns and need more rear grip.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noel
Cornerbalancing is akin to fixing a wobbly chair. With a chair that has one leg that is just a bit shorter than the others, it rocks back and forth based on the transfer of weight. A car will do this too, based on a transfer of weight during hard braking, etc.
To take your analogy one step further, consider the surface that the chair rests on. If you have it on a plush carpet (stock suspension & bushings), you may not notice that one leg is slightly shorter than the other. If you have it on a flat concrete floor, you will feel it right away (race springs & monoballs).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
newer stock 911 anyway as they don't have adjustable spring perches from the factory.

Actually, I think GT3's do. Just like a 944TurboS or 928's had. But I agree that with super soft stock springs the benefits are little.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The importance of balancing is a product of (overall stiffness * range of possible imbalance).
A stock car with a flexi-frame and no easy adjustability (ability to screw it up) and hasn't
been crashed doesn't need it. A stiff chassis and stiffly sprung raced car that is getting one
rebuilt coilover/shock replaced almost certainly does, for optimal handling.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
To take your analogy one step further, consider the surface that the chair rests on. If you have it on a plush carpet (stock suspension & bushings), you may not notice that one leg is slightly shorter than the other. If you have it on a flat concrete floor, you will feel it right away (race springs & monoballs).
Great point Larry!

Quick Reply: How important is corner balancing