Sponsored by:

Throttle pedal extension recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle pedal extension recommendation

I've done the search and read many interesting and informative posts about teaching and learning heel/toe, but I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Background:

I'm at the intermediate DE level - I know the line, hit (most!) apexes, recover slides with the throttle, etc. But I've never learned to heel/toe. My 996tt is the first car I've owned with pedal placement that may enable my size 7-1/2 feet to learn the secret. I'm think a wider throttle pedal will help.

Question:

I'm looking at Ultimate Pedals, which lists a few options, but I'm not sure exactly how those options translate into Porsche 996 pedals. I'm thinking the 'wider everywhere' is what I want, but I'd sure like to see it before ordering. If you have one of Ultimate Pedals on your car, can you please post a pic? TIA!

Jeff
Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check this out, too. The Rennline throttle extensions work very well for heel/toe.

http://rennline.com/product.php/sid/...che/prodid/115
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an Ultimate Pedal throttle pedal on my RS America and like it. It was cheaper than some of the other options. I shimmed it up a little for some height to get the right heel/toe action. I didn't do the brake and clutch because they really don't need them. I guess if I wanted everything to match and be pretty, I'd do the brake and clutch also. I'll post a pic as quick as I can.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:53 PM
TR6
Drifting

By pure coincidence...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=43271
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Tim
Racer

cut a piece of plywood to suit..bolt it to the exising pedal

before you ridicule this, know that we own an ex-Lemans GT3RS, which was run by TRG at Lemans in 2003

When we bought this car it had the cool custom plywood pedal extension
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

People heel and toe in different ways. My feet just can not effectively use both heel and toe at the same time. I can use the upper inside of my right foot on the brake while using the outside ball of my right foot to blip the throttle.

The Rennline pedal provides the best flexibility for adapting to the way that works best for you. It is so automatic for me now that I find myself doing it on the street
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Rennline set with the fully adjustable accelerator. Although I could heel and toe with the stock setup, this is much, much easier.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2007, 01:22 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Tim has the right idea - I have used a variety of materials to make pedal "ears" to cater to varied drivers heel and toe style. Most of the time, just a small extension on either the brake or throttle pedals is sufficient.

With any pedal extensions or pedal modifications, make sure that your foot can not get caught between the pedals - as in "on the throttle and under the brake pedal"....

....that might lead to an ugly ending.....

...trust me...

Last edited by GUMBALL; 07-08-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I couldn't get the Rennline setup to work in either my SC or my 964. IMO to be correct the gas pedal should be level with the brake pedal when the brakes are almost fully depressed. In the picture above it looks to me that the gas pedal, even adjusted at it's lowest position (as that one is), is still way too high. I spoke with the guys at Rennline about it and they said they had a new design coming... doesn't look like it. In the 964 I couldn't even use the bottom portion of the gas pedal and the shift linkage was in a horrible position/angle. I ended up making an aluminum plate the same shape as the gas pedal but a little wider on top, and bolting it to the OEM pedal using washers to raise it up to a height that worked for me.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ultimate pedals. I really like them. If you heel toe with the side of your foot, just get the pedal with the upper wing.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I couldn't get the Rennline setup to work in either my SC or my 964. IMO to be correct the gas pedal should be level with the brake pedal when the brakes are almost fully depressed. In the picture above it looks to me that the gas pedal, even adjusted at it's lowest position (as that one is), is still way too high. I spoke with the guys at Rennline about it and they said they had a new design coming... doesn't look like it. In the 964 I couldn't even use the bottom portion of the gas pedal and the shift linkage was in a horrible position/angle. I ended up making an aluminum plate the same shape as the gas pedal but a little wider on top, and bolting it to the OEM pedal using washers to raise it up to a height that worked for me.
Depends on how firm your brake pedal is. I had to raise my gas pedal to be able to reach it for heal/toe. The brake pedal in my car is like standing on brick.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Absolutely. If your gas pedal needs to be substantially higher then the Rennline stuff may work. Mine needed only about 3/4" at most. I *did* use the brake and clutch pedals tho!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Jeff, Note that H/T can be done by going over the top of the brake using the ball of your foot to blip the throttle. Using this method may not require new pedals. In the 993 over the top does not work but is very comfortable in the Boxster. Might want to try this before spending $.

Good luck,
Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I like the Rennline set with the fully adjustable accelerator.
That shore is purdy...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for floor hinged pedals, the Rennline solid gas pedal and brake pedal raised the accelerator (mounts on top of stock pedal) and lowered the brake pedal (rubber stock pedal is removed) to work for me on several cars. Of course the stock brake pedal is adjustable and can be lowered, but mind the brake light switch at the same time.

Quick Reply: Throttle pedal extension recommendation