Trail Braking Instruction Strategies

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, Joe;

Your idea has definite merit. I sort of knew where you were going with that thought, but, but, comfort zones are so... well... comfortable!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adendum from your respectful instructor and student.

Want to learn to trail brake?

Drive Calabogie!

If you want to even approach being quick, there are a ton of places that you HAVE to TB. Exceptionally instructional weekend from that standpoint alone!!!

I can also now clearly see the wisdom of tuning for slight understeer. This will keep the rear of the car from jumping out on you, which will allow you to carry a TON of speed very deep into the corners without soiling yourself, and will also force you to trail brake to get the car to rotate and/or slow to the point where it will rotate under trailing throttle on VERY late apex corners.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool
Old 07-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What I struggle with is what is the ideal time to down shift when TB. Is it before turn in, but with bigger throttle blip not to buzz the engine or just before transitioning to gas at/near apex?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Adendum from your respectful instructor and student.

Want to learn to trail brake?

Drive Calabogie!

If you want to even approach being quick, there are a ton of places that you HAVE to TB. Exceptionally instructional weekend from that standpoint alone!!!

I can also now clearly see the wisdom of tuning for slight understeer. This will keep the rear of the car from jumping out on you, which will allow you to carry a TON of speed very deep into the corners without soiling yourself, and will also force you to trail brake to get the car to rotate and/or slow to the point where it will rotate under trailing throttle on VERY late apex corners.
Sounds like you are learning to... "Trail Brake" !!!

Most people do a limited amount of trail braking.. on the street, and aren't even aware if it !!!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
What I struggle with is what is the ideal time to down shift when TB. Is it before turn in, but with bigger throttle blip not to buzz the engine or just before transitioning to gas at/near apex?
downshifting like braking can happen anywhere...it all depends on the turn and the number of shifts.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Same time as normal. When ground speed is correct for the gear you are selecting. On key to being able to drive fast is being able to brake, downshift and turn all the key points be them independantly, but simulatiniously.

IE... the guy that can brake, downshift and turn all at the same time if that is right for the corner will be faster than the guy that must give-up a little bit to brake, downshift, or turn a bit early or late because he cannot do all at the same time.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

As the guys have said...

The proper time is the same; when doing so does not stand to wing the engine and/or upset the chassis. The PLACE will be far deeper into the turn because the TB allows you to go deeper with more speed.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
downshifting like braking can happen anywhere...it all depends on the turn and the number of shifts.

yep. At the decreasing radius corner (which begs for trailbraking) at Calabogie, my 4->3 downshift is mid-corner. Most times, it's as late as I can in the braking zone without upsetting the car.

John: glad to hear to into the trailbraking groove. It's a definite asset at tracks like Calabogie.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I posted this video a while ago about downshifting, but the first turn is a good example of downshifting AND trailbraking, IMHO. I do 2 downshifts underbraking (5-3 & 3-2) and carry it very deep into turn 1. When I go to the gas, it is right to the floor.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 07-18-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: changing the link to one that works!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Larry, the link says page can not be found.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Larry, the link says page can not be found.
The hosting site is having a few problems tonight. If it doesn't work tomorrow, I'll try to host it elsewhere.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi Guys,
I've read through this reasonably thoroughly and have not noticed much said about Left foot braking. Apologies if there have been many references, I have skimmed a little, however to me it seems much easier to TB with lfb than rfb. I have an auto sedan that I use as a daily driver and I LFB about 80% of the time and it is the best practice short of dedicated track time. Very easy to get used to and something that you can really take to the track as your modulation improves out of sight very quickly. You wind up LFTB every 2nd corner or something like that. It makes the boring drive to and from work a bit more fun.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Indeed;

I LFB right from the start in every situation where a downshift is not required. When a shift is required, I switch my feet after the shift is completed. In other words, I LFB in almost every corner, TB or not.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
M758
Race Director

I don't left foot brake. It is very useful skill, but less important that heel and toe and trail braking.

Quick Reply: Trail Braking Instruction Strategies