Sponsored by:

BRITISH GP, updates and results ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Speed car will not allow him in to Q3, it has nothing to do with him , put any of the top 4 in speed's car and it will not make Q3. David should have been moved to make way for Speed, If red bull and F1 was serious about the US market they would do that and get him into a car that would showcase him better . With him there it is easier to make the case for more americans , his presence will help others making the transgression to F1 .. Agree , Wurz pass was 3 rd rate at best....
+1
Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I think we'd all like to see an American in F1, but I don't know if Speed is the one. I would have liked to have seen Colin Fleming get the shot at F1 over Speed, but I'm biased because I know the family.

Most all the people you mentioned are either British or German and have extra points, so to speak, in the F1 world because of the teams and manufacterers. Scott Speed doesn't bring $ backing from various American companies. The constructors probably like having an American in F1 because of our market, but are not out there actively seeking the next driver like Red Bull Racing has done in the past.

The best young American drivers are going to NASCAR and that's just the way it is. Sad but true.

There was a stat mentioned a few weeks ago that on average it costs appx. $10 million dollars to get a young driver from karts to F1... if they can get there. That's a lot of coin.
Pete,

Speed was the one choosen and if we do not support him , then how can we expect the europeans to do so. I'm sure many could name XYZ driver they would like to see there instead of Speed , but if he fails and is booted out , what are the chances of any of them getting there. Speed is not there to win races , he is there to show it is commercially viable to have an american in F1, now said american audience is spewing doom , now it's over..
Old 07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,492 Likes on 2,079 Posts

It's a good point you bring up. But backing a bad horse is a double edged sword. On the one hand we should back the driver we have in F1. But on the other if "we're showing the Europeans we're backing our driver" and in their opinion he stinks, they're perception could be, "Is this the best you've got?". There's no easy solution other than give him a good car and see what he does.

You lament David Coulthard, but look at the drivers with exceptional cars that didn't do anything. Let's start with Fisi over the past 2 years. In fact, Fisi and Ralf (talk about long in the tooth) should be the first ones out the door to make room for others.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
It's a good point you bring up. But backing a bad horse is a double edged sword. On the one hand we should back the driver we have in F1. But on the other if "we're showing the Europeans we're backing our driver" and in their opinion he stinks, they're perception could be, "Is this the best you've got?". There's no easy solution other than give him a good car and see what he does.

You lament David Coulthard, but look at the drivers with exceptional cars that didn't do anything. Let's start with Fisi over the past 2 years. In fact, Fisi and Ralf (talk about long in the tooth) should be the first ones out the door to make room for others.

For sure pete there are more drivers , it just firms up my case and it would take mega space to discuss the Johnny herberts , blundells etc of F1 there have been many over the last decade , it is for this reason why i state that speed needs the same support extended to others, as most recently Button ! well actually Johnny herbert was better than the others mentioned but you get where i'm coming from , Speed is the beginning of a program we should not make him the end, support him so he can stay and bring fourth the others who are suppose to be better , from karting, atlantics, mazda series etc... if speed stays, one of the prises for winning one of these championships is that they could get a chance to test an F1 car , the more we be little him is the less significance it makes to the F1 faternity...

look at the support Spyker get's from the dutch or Minardi who was lodged in the back people respect effort , speed deserves more than apathy.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Spyker confirm Albers split

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 09:19 GMT

Christijan AlbersChristijan Albers has been dropped by the Spyker team with immediate effect, as autosport.com predicted last weekend.

The Dutchman has had a disappointing campaign, having been outpaced by teammate Adrian Sutil, and matters with the team reached a head when one of his sponsors failed to fulfil sponsorship payment deadlines.

Team principal Colin Kolles said: "This has been a very difficult decision. Christijan has started to find some form in the car, but the team's ambitious development programme has been seriously compromised by non-payment by one of his sponsors and we are faced with no other option."

Director of Spyker's Formula One project, Michiel Mol added: "The decision to replace Christijan is one of the hardest I have had to take since becoming involved in the team.

"By terminating the contract with Christijan and the subsequent entering into a new contract it enables Spyker F1 Ltd. to safeguard its strong financial footing needed to fulfil its technical and commercial goals.

"We do not expect this will have any adverse effect on Spyker F1's financial result this year.

"We would also like to stress this decision has nothing to do with Christijan's recent performances - we still have faith in his contribution as a driver - but the long-term future of the team is of paramount importance.

"We would like to thank Christijan for his input and wish him every success in the future."

Spyker have yet to confirm who will replace Albers from the European Grand Prix.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Klien and Karthikeyan on Spyker's list

By Alan Baldwin Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 12:37 GMT

India's Narain Karthikeyan could be in line for a Formula One comeback as replacement for dropped Dutch driver Christijan Albers at Spyker.

Team boss Colin Kolles told Reuters on Tuesday that Karthikeyan, who raced for him at Jordan in 2005 and is now the second Williams test driver, was on his list of possible options.

Another was Austrian Christian Klien, currently the Honda test driver after three seasons with Red Bull and their predecessors Jaguar.

Klien has driven most recently, taking part in Friday practice for Honda at the British Grand Prix last week after Briton Jenson Button suffered back pains, and visited the Spyker factory on Monday.

"For the moment, no other driver is signed," said Kolles.

"Obviously, Narain is one of the options... I think it's a good option and we are just in the process of evaluating this," he added. "Williams is informed about this possibility, yes."

Markus Winkelhock, already under contract to Spyker as a test driver and in possession of the necessary super licence, may however be drafted in first for what would be a home race at the Nurburgring in Germany next week.

"We are looking into it... if we do Markus a favour if he's driving at Nurburgring," said Kolles. "Especially for the reason that I think he didn't do too much mileage in the car this year."

Dutch driver Giedo van der Garde, one of Spyker's other testers, does not yet have a super licence.

ALBERS DROPPED

The team said earlier on Tuesday they had dropped Albers with immediate effect due to non-payment by one of his main sponsors and a decision on the 28-year-old's replacement would be taken in due course.

Kolles said the move was essential for the Dutch-owned team's finances and accepted there could be a backlash in the Netherlands.

"We have to go through this period and to do the best for the team," he said. "The nationalities are not important at the moment. We have to take the best options."

The team principal said Albers's replacement need not necessarily be a driver bringing the most money with him immediately but could also be one whose performances on the track would attract further sponsorship.

He also did not rule out Albers driving for the team again one day.

"You should never say never. Formula One is a very quick business," he said. "Things could change very quickly but for the moment I can say this is the situation and we are looking at other options."

He said German rookie Adrian Sutil, the team's second driver, was in no danger of losing his place.

Quick Reply: BRITISH GP, updates and results ......