BRITISH GP, updates and results ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
OT: But have to ask without creating a thread….

What are the drivers looking at on the monitors while sitting in the car while in the garage???

The TV cameras are careful to not telecast it!
Lap times , who is out on the circuit etc...
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,371 Likes on 1,997 Posts

Originally Posted by rbennett
OT: But have to ask without creating a thread….

What are the drivers looking at on the monitors while sitting in the car while in the garage???

The TV cameras are careful to not telecast it!
Normally they don't broadcast it because the camera man would have to be behind the driver and I don't believe most mechanics are going to allow them that deep into their garage. That being said, the side shots this weekend did show a long scroll of lap times and they sometimes show the world camera feed. I've seen the Ferrari driver's use a remote to change the "channel" when the camera was on them for an extended period of time.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
To the utter disdain of the Planet-F1 Forum, Ron Dennis has claimed that Lewis Hamilton was unable to challenge for victory in the British GP because McLaren turned down his engine.

Rather than accept that his team did not have the pace to challenge Ferrari, Dennis highlighted 'strategic' consideration in his post-race summary.

Speaking to ITV, the McLaren boss announced: "From a very early point we knew that third was the best we could do with Lewis [Hamilton], and then we just saved the engine. Unfortunately, this is strategic racing.

"Fernando also turned the engine down after the final stop of Kimi."

Dennis also blamed the team's tyre choice as he sought to downplay the size of Ferrari's advantage.

"Probably the option tyre was the better tyre to race on, despite what it looked like yesterday," Dennis said. "So all in all we probably made the wrong choice of tyre."
Hamilton lost the race and 2nd place when Mr. Modest, Ron Dennis decided to opt for the PR stunt and put Hamilton on pole by going into qualifying light.

In the post race interview with Peter Windsor, Alonso mentioned that his strategy was changed in the middle of the race when they decided to short fill him for his 2nd stint.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think Alonso's strategy was good. It was well thought out. So was Hamilton's. They wanted him on pole and expected him to outdrive Kimi but it didn't work. Both teams had sound strategies. It's really a shame that Massa stalled. It would have been a more interesting race having Massa chasing Kimi.

When is Speed going to be let go? He is embarrasing. Yesterday was a stupid move and of course, the commentators had nothing to say. I don't care if he is the only American in F1, he needs to go.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I cannot grasp this anti scott speed deal, He is proving to be as fast if not faster than his teammate , who came into the sport highly rated and because of scott speed being faster , Berger will also let him go. Bergers anti-american stance makes it difficult for speed, if he was german i'm sure it would be easier for him , Yesterday was Wurz's FU , he tried to capitalize on scott letting the leaders thru trying to pass with no room , it was a pathetic move, by a driver who is pathetic at best himself ....

I say give scott, coulthard's seat , it is a more competitve drive , if he cannot match webbers pace then drop him , there is no need to keep having old baggage like coulthard in the sport and if scott proves to be competitive against webber it will be good for him and the sport ... it will help to pave the way for other americans to get into F1.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-09-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red Bull just extended Coulthards contract until the end of 2008, so S. Speed will not be taking his seat.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Speed got his front wheel run over...he did not run over someone or wreck himself. I too wish he would do better because as an American I feel like I should pull for him.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Red Bull just extended Coulthards contract until the end of 2008, so S. Speed will not be taking his seat.

I know , but he should have been booted , his time has past , it is time for the new .......
Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Yesterday was Wurz's FU , he tried to capitalize on scott letting the leaders thru trying to pass with no room , it was a pathetic move, by a driver who is pathetic at best himself ....
How did you come up with that theory? Speed clearly turned into him. Watch it again. And since when is trying to take advantage of a situation in racing a bad thing?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
gab997
Racer

I would like to see an American driver in the field that would consistently be in 3rd session quals and win a few races. I dont think Speed is that guy. The one thing that I do not like about speed is that it seems that; dude it's awesome or cool is always coming out of his vocabulary.....

Regarding Wurz, I think it was unprofessional. That's my 2c.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Speed car will not allow him in to Q3, it has nothing to do with him , put any of the top 4 in speed's car and it will not make Q3. David should have been moved to make way for Speed, If red bull and F1 was serious about the US market they would do that and get him into a car that would showcase him better . With him there it is easier to make the case for more americans , his presence will help others making the transgression to F1 .. Agree , Wurz pass was 3 rd rate at best....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot grasp this anti scott speed deal, He is proving to be as fast if not faster than his teammate , who came into the sport highly rated and because of scott speed being faster , Berger will also let him go. Bergers anti-american stance makes it difficult for speed, if he was german i'm sure it would be easier for him , Yesterday was Wurz's FU , he tried to capitalize on scott letting the leaders thru trying to pass with no room , it was a pathetic move, by a driver who is pathetic at best himself ....

I say give scott, coulthard's seat , it is a more competitve drive , if he cannot match webbers pace then drop him , there is no need to keep having old baggage like coulthard in the sport and if scott proves to be competitive against webber it will be good for him and the sport ... it will help to pave the way for other americans to get into F1.
I agree.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gab997
I would like to see an American driver in the field that would consistently be in 3rd session quals and win a few races. I dont think Speed is that guy. The one thing that I do not like about speed is that it seems that; dude it's awesome or cool is always coming out of his vocabulary.....

Regarding Wurz, I think it was unprofessional. That's my 2c.
I'm always waiting for the "Yea, No, it was good" to come out of his mouth.

I think this is Speeds last year in F1. He doesn't have a good car, but hasn't done much to overcome that either like Alonso did when he was in a Minardi.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I'm always waiting for the "Yea, No, it was good" to come out of his mouth.

I think this is Speeds last year in F1. He doesn't have a good car, but hasn't done much to overcome that either like Alonso did when he was in a Minardi.
Scott's teammate is not a slow driver , scott has shown enough that red bull should give him a more competitive seat, scott has done no worse than button or sato when these guys drove uncompetitive cars. Button was a disaster at Renault and he is still in F1.or Webber being helped by his country men, If Red Bull is really serious about their commitment to Us drivers speed has shown enough for at least a season in the red bull car along side webber , Damon Hill did chit when he was at Brabham , was given the chance to drive a williams because he was british and became WC, DC started his career in the best car in 95 and threw away a championship and was still kept around , a few years ago Heidfield was a disaster when a young inexperienced driver in F1 battered him and he was still allowed to stay and develope , If the commitment is not made to Scott by red BUll, who he has thru them worked his way into F1 , then whom, what are the chances of another following?

Those who keep wanting an Alonso or a Lewis level driver for the US , GET REAL , this is going to take time to develope , lewis is the first british driver of any chit in 20 years and their feeder system is considered to be the best in the world .
So rag on Scott all you want , we need him to have some success and if we as F1 fans collectivly let red bull know this , they will give him another chance , but no he is ragged on at every chance , Scotts a young driver , he should be getting our support, if not your next hero will be the new daytona 500 winner and F1 will be a distant world.
Now If Scott is released for that french Bitch Bourdais, I hope he looks as stupid as he really is , i know i will be here to smile .....that i'm sure off.

My bet is Berger is trying to get Renault engines and is using bordais as bait there can be no other reason for selecting that Putz....
Old 07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we'd all like to see an American in F1, but I don't know if Speed is the one. I would have liked to have seen Colin Fleming get the shot at F1 over Speed, but I'm biased because I know the family.

Most all the people you mentioned are either British or German and have extra points, so to speak, in the F1 world because of the teams and manufacterers. Scott Speed doesn't bring $ backing from various American companies. The constructors probably like having an American in F1 because of our market, but are not out there actively seeking the next driver like Red Bull Racing has done in the past.

The best young American drivers are going to NASCAR and that's just the way it is. Sad but true.

There was a stat mentioned a few weeks ago that on average it costs appx. $10 million dollars to get a young driver from karts to F1... if they can get there. That's a lot of coin.

Quick Reply: BRITISH GP, updates and results ......