Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSJ article; WTF is "Touring"? DE for bizillionaires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a sales representative for the Drive & Race Club and this article did not tell the complete story. Although "Touring" is one component that members can enjoy, it does not represent the full scope of Club activities.

Flat out lapping is also permitted in special run groups composed of cars and drivers with similar abilities. Since track time is not limited for members, one can enjoy a plethora of driving activities at the track.

The Club will also provide a fleet of cars for inter-club championships. There will also be vintage cars on sight, offered through authorized vendors that are become associates of the Club.

Several manufacturers have also expressed interest in "showcasing" their cars, i.e. making them available for member to test on the track.

If anyone would like more information or wishes to view the track, which is currently under construction, I would be pleased to set you up with the necessary information and a tour. Any naysayer comments will be quickly dismissed once you see this magnificent site and track.

Ron Cohn
ronaldcohn@gmail.com
914-474-4151
Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

95m3racer: In fact, construction is in full force. Track will be in operation next sping.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Cohn
I am a sales representative for the Drive & Race Club and this article did not tell the complete story.
ronaldcohn@gmail.com
914-474-4151
Actually Ron, I'd have to say this article was highly inaccurate and did a disservice to similar members-only motorsport country clubs elsewhere in the country that have been operating for two or more years. Autobahn in the Chicago area comes to mind.
(or am I missing unique differences?)

Implying yours is the first or only one of it's kind in the country was poor reporting, or at best naivete on the reporter's part.

I think these private track clubs need support around the country. Mentioning them and their success would in no way adversely affect your effort. I'd like them all to succeed, if for no other reason than they provide new venues for us to race on.

I do believe you and your group did your demographic homework. Given the success of Autobahn over the last five years, I'm sure your track and club will be a success given all the track-worthy cars in the Northeast.

BTW, very cool collection of cars you have there.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Actually Ron, I'd have to say this article was highly inaccurate and did a disservice to similar members-only motorsport country clubs elsewhere in the country that have been operating for two or more years. ...
+1. I don't know if D&R Club intended to mislead the writer, or if the writer is just hopelessly ignorant, but either way, stupid articles like this really don't help anyone. Too bad.

BTW, the track layout looks great. Always nice to see tracks being built.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Since this track is in our PCA Chapter's Region, we had preliminary discussions with them about track rental and at this time, this will be a private track and will not rent to clubs etc. We toured the track over the winter and as Ron mentioned construction was well underway. I believe that the cost of membership was something like $100k plus annual membership dues and they thought that by renting the track to car clubs it would deter people from the membership philosophy. Too bad since it would be a GREAT alternative to LRP and close proximity to NNJR, NY Metro, HVR, and CVR members for track rentals.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO... 200 mph on what track? Especially if 3.5 miles is one of the "longest". I'm in with Larry, will instruct for $$$$. I also second that is it is too bad they won't open it to the clubs. That may change if they only have 100 of 750 "members". When it comes time to pay the bills, a mon or wed rental for PCA may become acceptable.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Any new construction pictures?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Since this track is in our PCA Chapter's Region, we had preliminary discussions with them about track rental and at this time, this will be a private track and will not rent to clubs etc. We toured the track over the winter and as Ron mentioned construction was well underway. I believe that the cost of membership was something like $100k plus annual membership dues and they thought that by renting the track to car clubs it would deter people from the membership philosophy. Too bad since it would be a GREAT alternative to LRP and close proximity to NNJR, NY Metro, HVR, and CVR members for track rentals.
Once the initial hoopla wears off and the reality of hard economics sets in, they WILL rent out the track to clubs like the PCA, etc. Not trying to dash the idealism of the promoters or being a smartass but membership dues alone won't make it financially viable. Call me in a few years and tell me I was wrong!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Sorry to keep using Autobahn as an example, but it seems to be based on a very similar business model (perhaps it provided the business model! )

they have a similar approach to layout in that it can be divided into a North course or South course or Full course.

this allows the members to allways have their course while the other course is rented out to clubs, groups, schools, corp events, etc. Helps defray cost for the members. As I understand it, the membership is quite happy with this arrangement. In fact the interest in racing that it has spawned has led to a number of it's members joining PCA club racing.

Autobahn's membership prices and dues are much lower as is their target total number of members. (which they achieved)

It will be interesting to see how it progresses in NY.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

Check out the June 11th issue of Autoweek. I tried to find the article online but I could not.

The title is "I'd rather be at the track."

It gives an overview of many of these 'gentlemen's tracks' popping up everywhere. The Drive and Race Club of Monticello NY is in the article.

It actually gives us hope that building good tracks is becoming profitable. There are 19 different tracks discussed.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their direction, and as you point out, time will tell.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest problem with "member only tracks" is driving the same track over and over again gets boring. Sure it is nice for a while, but they guys that really get into motorsports and are willing to fork over big bucks are going to want to run other tracks. Seems like the best way for "membership" to work is to have reciprocating memebership status at other tracks. I am not into golf, but I know others that are. Most private clubs have recirporacating rights at other clubs. This means you can go to another private club and be a "member" there too.

Seems like many of these private club track should do something similar. This way the member may have everything local, but if they want to two all the way to autobahn 2-3 times a year they get full (or close to full privlages there too). More value for the dollar IMHO.

I do think these tracks need to and should rent to clubs. Reason is that it will create MORE members rather than less. This way you can "try before" you buy and if you rent to PCA 2-3 times a year it will be fine for some, but others may want ALOT more... Then you go and get a club membership.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thunderbolt under construction now in south Jersey and VIR will have some reciprocal member rights.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike in Chi: Unfortunately I do not currently own any of the cars listed in my profile, except for the 997S. They were cars I owned or drove in the years listed on the right.

As for the D&R Club, reciprocal memberships will be available with selected tracks.

Quick Reply: WSJ article; WTF is "Touring"? DE for bizillionaires?