Sponsored by:

Accident at Summit Point race 6-26-2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident at Summit Point race 6-26-2007

I just saw a race video on YOU TUBE, looks like SP1 944's and other German machines. The race was RED Flaged. The video shows multiple emergency vehicles responding, but you can't see the incedent. Was anyone in the race or talked to someone who knows what happened?????????
Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. That was the "Autobahn" group's sunday sprint race at NASA's Hyperfest. 944 Cup & SuperCup, a couple of 944 Spec racers and BMW E30 spec racers (started about 20 seconds behind the 944s).

One of the faster (qualified 5th or 6th overall I think) 944 SuperCup cars got loose after wagonbend and slid off track on the right. The car rode through a depression in the ground while off the track, got airborne and landed on its roof.

Thankfully, the driver (a close friend) was unharmed.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:26 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Richard. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...re%3Aanimation Here is the link of the video.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess Red flag means different things to different people.....
Old 06-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole

DAMN! No kidding.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually it does in other countries! When running public laps at the ring, they have a totally different procedure with a red flag. Obviously extreme caution and slow. Stop and assist if accident requires further help otherwise continue/leave the area. Surprised how many cars kept rolling in that video. If you did that a PCA race, you would likely go home.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 07-01-2007, 12:12 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

You know, I was in that race and I think the flaggers at the first turn were a little slow in displaying the red flag - or I just didn't see their flag as I was focused on what appeared to be a cluster-**** in turn 1 (not unheard of at Summit Point). As soon as I rounded turn no. 1, I was immediately aware of the red flag (my spotter shouted "red flag" over the radio) and stopped my car off track on the right side (not within sight of the next flag station at "wagonbend".

We are taught that a red flag means bring your vehicle to a safe stop, off the track surface (if possible) and within sight of the nearest flag station. I couldn't see a flag station, but my spotter could and I was getting info over the radio, so I didn't continue forward through turn 2 (from which point I would be able to see the flagger for turn 3).
Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our rule is that you stop at a flag station so they can communicate with you (as long as the problem is not between you and the next flag station). We never stop off the track surface because that's a sure way to start a fire out here.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Our rule is that you stop at a flag station so they can communicate with you (as long as the problem is not between you and the next flag station). We never stop off the track surface because that's a sure way to start a fire out here.

Tom, agree about the fire potential. We stress to stop off line if possible and far to the side of the road (flagger insight). I will put two wheels off if I can. After having cars "online" still come roaring by me (colorblind idiots) and possible emergency vehicles needing room, I want to be out of the way.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Absolutely agree that off line, rather than off the track surface is correct. I did stop with 2-wheels off and 2 on the track during that Summit Point race. I have seen the trackside grass catch fire at VIR last December.

Thankfully, red flags are rare. This was my first red flag in 6+ years of driving on track.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Our region ran a surprise red flag drill at a DE last year. I learned a LOT from my mistakes, thankfully without consequence. Do it in your DEs, too.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Our region ran a surprise red flag drill at a DE last year. I learned a LOT from my mistakes, thankfully without consequence. Do it in your DEs, too.
Same here - I *knew* what I was *supposed* to do, and still lifted when I saw the flag, before I checked the mirror. The lady on my bumper out of SP's T7 rightfully let me know about it back in the pits.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what the NASA rules say about red flags:

7.9 Red Flag
Emergency. Come to an immediate and controlled stop on the side of the track, in
a safe location. All manned flag stations around the course may display a Red
Flag. This means that the session has been stopped. No passing is allowed.
As soon as all drivers have come to a stop in a safe area, all of the flag stations should
drop their Red Flags and one of the following should take place:
1) All flag stations will motion to the drivers to continue. All drivers shall proceed to
the starting line using extreme caution, being prepared to stop if necessary.
Drivers should remain in their cars and prepare for the session to resume.
2) All flag stations will display double yellow flags indicating that the drivers should
continue on course until a green flag is displayed.
3) All flag stations will display a black flag indicating that the remainder of the
session has been canceled and the drivers should exit the track.
Note- The local Yellow Flags should still be in effect where hazards exist. Drivers must
remain in their cars and stay prepared to restart. Drivers that enter the pit lane during a
red flag will be sent out at the end of pack during a restart.
Note: The Red Flag is meant to be displayed “Standing” (motionless), however it may be
waved at the drivers to indicate urgency.
The red flag can only be ordered by the Event Director or by the Operating Steward in
the absence of the Event Director.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Here is what the NASA rules say about red flags:

7.9 Red Flag
Emergency. Come to an immediate and controlled stop on the side of the track, in a safe location. All manned flag stations around the course may display a Red
Flag. ....
Good rule, but not sufficient. The FIRST thing to do is to check your mirrors to see that the car behind sees the red flag and you slowing to a stop.

Easy to say, but practicing it makes it easier to do.

Quick Reply: Accident at Summit Point race 6-26-2007