August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!

We can't predict the weather, but we can predict that you will have a blast as you turn hot laps at Thunderhill on Friday, August 17th at Thunderhill Raceway! T.E.A.M. Racing (www.team-racing.org) is putting on its annual late-summer track event! At just $225 (still the lowest price around) per driver, you get a supply of bottled water and Gatorade, healthy snacks, morning coffee service, catered lunches, expert instruction (available to ALL run groups), and OVER TWO HOURS OF TRACK TIME! This event has a limited size of run groups, so don't wait too long or you might get stuck working! Full details are at www.team-racing.org To get right to the registration form, go to www.onemain.com/~bonster/schedule.html See you there!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good time, unfortunately I am doing laguna the weekend after and only have enough tire money for 1 weekend that month.

It's been a long time since my BAMO days up in the bay. After all, you guys got me started on this addiction.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Aw, you poor thing . . . you have to go to Laguna. We have a September event at Thunderhill, too . . . maybe you'll have new rubber by then.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bonni,
I've got to go to LS, too - for Monterey Historics that weekend! Fri is the BEST day to go and there's no way I'm gonna get Pete to miss that!

BTW, I might go back to Thill 8/2-4 w/ GGR. What can I do to get T3 -> T5 (student line)? I loooove T10 - T14... high speed AXing! I just cannot get T4 right... huh?

I'll check your site, my calendar, my hubby, and see if I can get out w/ you - you promised to instruct me, after all
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Deb . . . no problem . . .

The approach to turn three really starts in the constant radius left in turn two. As you approach turn two, you want to start your line around there in about mid-track. As your car 'sucks you down', you will eventually want to place the car as close to the bottom (left side) as possible. This allows the suspension to settle a bit. You will actually apex about 2/3 around turn two, at which point you let the car track out to the right. At that point the car is temporarily pointed somewhat straight. You will then want to turn the car so that you are just left of center of the track area before turn three.

Turn three varies slightly from car to car, but the idea is to look for a white paint mark on your left. Use that as your reference point. At about that spot, you gradually begin your turn-in to the right. As you go through the turn, you will need to somewhat steer the car hard right. By mid-turn, you should have the right tires on the paint line on the right. This will give you a decent set-up for turn four. This is a good place to learn about throttle steering. If the car pushes, quickly, but gently lift off the throttle for a split second -- this will help you to rotate the car. The goal between three and four is to get it pointed straight as possible. There is a little wag out to the right at the end of the area approaching four -- use it. The berm on your right as you approach four is a little high, but friendly enough, so use that as well.

Okay . . . if you find yourself going a little hot for your comfort, brake quick and hard just as you approach four. This is a mid-apex, late turn-in turn. If you are going over the top of five, make sure your front left tire hits about middle of the berm to your left, and then let the car track out to the right. Brake slight BEFORE you begin the uphill climb approaching five. Track out ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT to give yourself the maximum run on the top of five. There should be a candlestick or at least a cone on your left. I use my left shoulder -- as soon as my left shoulder is parallel with the intro to 5, I turn in hard left, but ease off (barely even steer, actually -- just use neutral input to the right and the car will naturally fall into the off-camber) to the right. The next place you want the car to be is to have the front right tire just slightly off of the berm on your right. It seems scary, but just trust me. It works! Don't get too giddy -- the off of that berm is kinda spooky, and can kill your oil pan or belly pan.

Okay . . . so we're up at the top of five, and our stomach has just sank. Whatever you do at that point -- DO NOT LIFT and DO NOT BRAKE. It is VERY light in there . . . if anything, perhaps feather the throttle and keep a nice even speed. It feels like you're going to fall right off the track -- but you WON'T. Don't fight it . . . just grit your teeth and hang in there. The technical thing about this turn is learning not to use too much input. Think even throttle, no steering. The goal of turn 5A is to keep the steering wheel in one spot and let the car natrually drift out left (I've used the whole track many times), then, while keeping the steering wheel in the same place, the car comes back to the right, and you do a slight left tweak on the wheel so that it's straigt up and naturally lined up for turn six.

I hope that this helps. If not . . . just let me know when you are for sure going. I don't know who GGR is, but with my record, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I volunteered my instruction time. I can even drive your or my car (slower laps -- I don't wanna buy your C2S any time soon, lol) to let you feel how it should feel. It's all about not fighting with the car. Thunderhill, along with most tracks, talk to you. If you are fighting the car, you are not likely on the right line. I can teach you the Thunderhill line no problem. Just keep me posted.

Sorry for the book . . but she asked!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
JC3D
Pro

Eventually Bonni, I will get back up to nothern california, I know I keep telling you that, but I will.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM
springgeyser
Racer

Bonnie.

GGR is the PCA Golden Gate Region.

I've already reg'd and paid for the 17th. Where's the love on the BAP site?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Deb . . . for a nice steak dinner and a spot on the couch, I might just be influenced to join you on one of your home tracks.

Glad to see you on Rennlist, Peter!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

If the car pushes, quickly, but gently lift off the throttle for a split second -

T4, if you are set up well, far right as you exit T3, you dont have to brake, just lift and back on throttle.

as bonnie said, use all the berms you can .
Old 06-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bonster
We can't predict the weather... August 17th at Thunderhill Raceway!
Uh...Hot?......

Originally Posted by dpressley
Fri is the BEST day to go and there's no way I'm gonna get Pete to miss that!
Go the week before...it's called the Pre-Historics...it is FAR better than the Historics weekend. Same cars, no crowds and no charge....
Old 06-30-2007, 04:33 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Bonnie
Very tempting......if the weather is sub-blazing......I gotta make up for my blown PS hose at Got Guts!!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty . . . yeah, rear-engine cars load differently, that's for sure. I think I need more practice in Dars' 993 to fully understand what to do when a rear-engine pushes. I've had a lot of Porsche students, but I've never noticed them pushing in turn 3. Same thing with the Lotus Elise students I've had. So what do you do, Mooty, when a rear or mid-engine car pushes? Left foot brake? Not that most of my students will be on that edge where they have to rotate the car . . . but it's good knowledge to know. Also, in reference to the spot between three and four -- that is just a last resort that I tell students so that they don't get worried and brake in the wrong spot. It's one of those, "You don't need to brake, but if you panic, brake HERE" things.

Kim . . . I don't wanna hear it! Lol. I still remember testing with you and Magnus last July out there -- you guys didn't seem phased one bit (darn it). August is way better than July, at least.

Peter ~ Thanks for reminding me what GGR was . . . I should have known that. DOH!

Brian . . . I vaguely remember you busting that hose last April. Who needs power steering anyway? Lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Brian . . . I vaguely remember you busting that hose last April. Who needs power steering anyway? Lol.
Bonnie
In a 3500lb + me & instructor 928...you NEED it......but my impressive duct tape repair job held the whole way home! Probably could have held for the rest of the day...but not worth the risk...but the new hose and fuel pump are in & ready to go....just gotta bleed the brakes and put in the amsoil!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

WOW . . . I didn't realize your car was that heavy! My Spec Miata only weighs about 2310 WITH driver. No wonder I can get away with the de-powered rack. I drove a first gen RX-7 not long ago -- that thing is a HORSE. Not to mention it was tail happy (way worse than a Miata, even). I was so happy to get back into my own car after that experience.

Anyway, sounds like things are coming along nicely for your car. I hope we get to see you out there. And don't forget that we have instructors for all levels -- don't hesitate to ask if you want a little help.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Deb: You mean to tell us your dad isn't helping you learn the right line? He deserves a swat up side the head.

My $0.02. While many will tell you that the 993 requires you to take T3 a bit on the wide side (1 car width from the inside edge), I think the inside line is a bit faster and easier. You sould have the car pointed straight and just touch the very end of the berm at the end of 3, a slight lift to let the car settle for a second (about the time it takes to go one car length) and then turn in to 4 and get on the gas until you are heading up the hill to 5.

Hank Watts wrote a good description of how to drive Thunderhill and it can be found on the GGR web site (the TH track description).

Hope you folk have fun with Bonni, I be out there sweating a bit for the races the previous weekend.

Quick Reply: August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!