Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007 | 07:42 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Which race is that, Tom? Maybe I'll join you (well, sorta -- obviously not in the same run class).
Old 06-30-2007 | 07:58 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bonster
Deb . . . for a nice steak dinner and a spot on the couch, I might just be influenced to join you on one of your home tracks.
As the crow flies I guess Laguna Seca would be my home track and I'll be there Dec 9th <"where ARE my Big Girl Panties?" >.

GGR is, indeed, the Golden Gate Region of Zone 7 PCA. I understand GGR contracts w/ Thill for 3 weekends a year. So maybe in reality, Thill is my home track! As if you couldn't tell, I'm a total n00b - only 3 track days (after 2 seasons of AXing).

My sched isn't set for the Aug 3-4 Thill weekend yet, but when Pete and I do go, we pitch a tent, pop open the chairs, fire up the little Weber grill and enjoy. No couch, but some sweet camping chairs! I'd be happy to toss a ribeye on for ya!
Old 06-30-2007 | 08:16 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
bonnie, this is for T3 off camber, we cannot lift even for brief moment no these *** hvy cars. just breath on the throttle, life your toe by 1/4" of an inch, the nose will tighten up.

T4, if you are set up well, far right as you exit T3, you dont have to brake, just lift and back on throttle.

as bonnie said, use all the berms you can .
Hi Mooty! Yea, I think my problem is I'm braking (like I said, I'm a n00b!). Thanks for the hint! Will you be at Thill in Aug? I'm hoping I can swing my sched to be there. Pete will be there for sure.
Old 06-30-2007 | 08:21 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, we need to get you out at the track more, Deb! Yeah, Laguna is a LOT closer to the San Jose area, indeed. I'll likely be visiting Florida at around your LSIR track date. Have fun for me!
Old 06-30-2007 | 08:29 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom W
Deb: You mean to tell us your dad isn't helping you learn the right line? He deserves a swat up side the head.

My $0.02. While many will tell you that the 993 requires you to take T3 a bit on the wide side (1 car width from the inside edge), I think the inside line is a bit faster and easier. You sould have the car pointed straight and just touch the very end of the berm at the end of 3, a slight lift to let the car settle for a second (about the time it takes to go one car length) and then turn in to 4 and get on the gas until you are heading up the hill to 5.
My DAD??? Pete will kill you for that comment! Lucky for me he's an instructor now. Looks like I'm gonna have to bribe Gary D. to get him assigned to me, though! I did have him ride w/ me on the Sunday AM session and it was great! I totally got T5 nailed, for T3 I definitely take the inside line, but I guess I was braking before T4. It was my first 3 days, and it wasn't until Sun AM I wasn't in total overload!
Old 06-30-2007 | 09:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dpressley
Hi Mooty! Yea, I think my problem is I'm braking (like I said, I'm a n00b!). Thanks for the hint! Will you be at Thill in Aug? I'm hoping I can swing my sched to be there. Pete will be there for sure.
i am trying to get out of baby sitting duty so i can be there.
Old 06-30-2007 | 09:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty . . .I've had a lot of Porsche students, but I've never noticed them pushing in turn 3.
oh, the push a lot. on my GOOD day, i will breath on the throttle to turn the car and get it tightened up. on my OFF day, all i do is pray and saw the wheel like no tomorrow to keep it tight.

Same thing with the Lotus Elise students I've had.
when i am not in the porsche, i track m exige. they do not push at T3, dial in the streering lock and go for it.
Old 06-30-2007 | 11:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bonni: Aug 11/12 is a NASA weekend (I race with PRC). Aug 10 is a TrackMasters date that makes for a good 3 day weekend. Like John (mooty) says, our cars push in 2 and 3 and I end up throttle steering to get the rear to rotate.

John: What times are you getting at TH in the new RS?

Deb: Do tell Pete I said that. Tell him he's OLD and you're young. If Harry goes that weekend, have him go out with you once too. His driving style is different than Pete's and you might find the contrast useful. I'll miss that weekend as it's the annual mountain bike trek to Mammoth for the guys I ride with.
Old 07-01-2007 | 02:20 AM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Deb: Do tell Pete I said that. Tell him he's OLD and you're young. If Harry goes that weekend, have him go out with you once too. His driving style is different than Pete's and you might find the contrast useful. I'll miss that weekend as it's the annual mountain bike trek to Mammoth for the guys I ride with.
Hmmm.... "you're young".... flattery will get you nowhere! A ride w/ Harry will be a long time coming - he's so busy these days. He was my AX instructor once - he kept telling me I needed to start learning to left-foot brake I rode w/ Seidell once... at Sears... on a damp track... I can't believe I was able to climb out of his car... I'm not that young and flexible anymore, ya know?

Maybe I'll see you in Sept? That's looking pretty certain on my calendar.

I told Pete... you'd better have your head on a swivel!
Old 07-01-2007 | 03:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

John: What times are you getting at TH in the new RS?
not good. fully stock, 2:07 over the top (i can do that with caymans and exige).
car really pushes.
when new tires get here, i will try again. i dont push it hard, but i am hoping to get 205.
Old 07-01-2007 | 03:28 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John - You need to have Tony come to the track with you and do some setup work while there. He should be able to make the car work better.
Old 07-01-2007 | 02:13 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I've not driven an Exige yet, but turn three was MADE for the Elise. You just point and shoot and it follows! I am always surprised when I see someone spin an Elise (or Exige). Maybe I'm just not driving it fast enough, but I've not spun or gone off track in that car (only driven it about a dozen times -- belongs to a friend of mine). I love it when the second cams come on -- it's like a little rocket ship compared to my car.
Old 07-02-2007 | 09:44 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

That event sounds tempting... but likely hot. But you never know!

Interesting "banter" about how to get around thill. Like Tom, I recommend the GGR booklet. Be aware that it is a little 911-centric. I took Hank to task on that years ago. Another good guide and one I have used for many years is the Shelby Club book.

As always, I encourage those with Porsches to make the GGR events their "home base." Deepest talent pool amongst all instructional groups.

My approach with beginners in that area of the track is to work on transitions, especially in big heavy cars.

- Mike
(GGR instructor-- who's best student is the only woman to get TTOD at a GGR track event, beating Hank Watts!)
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Too many familiar faces here..........

Bonni, if you still need instructors let me know and I'll sign up. Have 3 cars at the track so it's really easy.

Concur with all the comments about how much you do lift throttle 911's. Yes, Kim, even in that perfect handling car you unloaded on me. Almost cracked 2:00 w/ passenger (bypass, obviously) still using those old, dead Hoosiers. Think I'll mount the RA1's Wednesday and drive the thing on the street a little bit.

Don't concur with Mike about GGR. Plenty of more cost effective venues with as good (or better) instruction. Even if you have a Porsche.
Old 07-03-2007 | 12:55 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Don't concur with Mike about GGR. Plenty of more cost effective venues with as good (or better) instruction. Even if you have a Porsche.
yeah, see u at PDC. i dont care about my lap time, i want to break ramon's record.... let's aim for 400 track miles that day. who's gonna sponsor me for fuel.

Quick Reply: August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!