Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Too many familiar faces here..........

Bonni, if you still need instructors let me know and I'll sign up. Have 3 cars at the track so it's really easy.
***YES, Ken, we would be HONORED with your presence! Just send in the reg form so that I do not forget that you are avaiable is all that I ask. I've seen your garage space at T'hill, remember? You big braggart you.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW -- I am FINALLY going to make a try at driving Dars' 993. Wish me luck! Especially since his wife would KILL ME if I hurt their baby. Nah . . . I'm too slow to do that. Lol. So let's see . . . throw the front out, right???
Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Default RENNLIST DEAL!!!

To the first Rennlister more than 300 miles away . . . if you sign up for the August 17th event at Thunderhill before July 12th, we'll give you the day for only $150!!! GAME ON!!! Oh . . . and I best get a hug and / or a handshake outta this deal. Why am I doing this? Hmmmm . . . maybe because I kinda sorta, just MAYBE like Porshes? You be the judge.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
***YES, Ken, we would be HONORED with your presence! Just send in the reg form so that I do not forget that you are avaiable is all that I ask. I've seen your garage space at T'hill, remember? You big braggart you.
Honored, huh? Well for that you can go fiddle around in whichever of the fleet is available!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Fiddle around with one of the fleet where, Ken? In the paddock? Actually, I'm going to take a swing at Dars' 993 to better understand how to instruct Porsche students. If I were to take one of your fleet out, I'd prefer to do it in the novice group, where the most protection in passing, etc., would be. And I'd prefer that you rode along with me to help me learn. This would not likely be until after lunch -- you know, when I finally have things smoothed out enough to actually concentrate on my driving and not everything else. Don't get mad if I don't drive it fast . . . I just don't wanna buy it just yet.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken.. long time wassup ? !
I think for the Porsche's being discussed here the inside line is the best. I used to drive that line but when I stepped my car up performance wise it limited me and I started to change my line around the track and actually started using something closer to what was the "classic " TT line starting farther right and bringing the car in gradually . With that change and others was able to run consistent 50-51's and 1:48-49 at T Hill with her dialed up

Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Rest assured, Ken, et., al., I won't be driving anybody's car that fast. I have seen the S-Car-Go crew at NASA events, though. AMAZING. Not 'UHmazing', but Amazing. You are all welcome to come on out and have a play day. I'll just start you at the front of the grid. And to think I was jumping up and down when I finally got my Spec Miata down to the 2:10s, rofl.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 2:10 in a spec Miata running the nest is pretty damn fast....
Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, stop <blush!> But really, thanks. I have a 'junkyard' engine, actually. I've not yet considered committing $5k+ to a tuned Rebello engine. My average is more like 2:12, to be honest. But yes, I've turned some fast laps -- those were those weird days when you think you're going slow, but you find out that you really weren't. I still can't see myself turning 20 seconds less, even in one of Ken's cars. Fastest I have ever went at Thunderhill was about 130 in a Corvette Z06. Anything more than that speed, I'd personally need the permission of the owner, or I'd feel like I was hurting the car. Remember, my top speed is likely your guys' cruising speed.

On a side note -- love the 'hair dryer' avatar.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh shoot. PS -- yes, that time was over the Eagle's Nest at T'hill. Fastest with the bypass was only a 2:08:52. I'm such a mid-packer (in my opinion, at least).
Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey I've hardly gone quicker than 2:10 in my SM......and it's a pro built, pro champion car!

As far as top speed into 1, well the Radical isn't going to peel your face back on acceleration. We'll leave that to.......to...........to........Van' (?!?!?!?). A Van sighting! Which color IROC do you have, and did you see that little article in Excellence about the press day at Riverside?

Karen says hi!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Ken . . . if YOU barely made a 2:10 . . . it makes me thing my transponder is skewing or something. There's NO WAY I can go as fast at you in ANY car, NO WAY. Maybe I need to kick the transponder to make sure it's really working.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

What does a fast Spec Miata run at Thunderhill?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack . . . the record, last time I checked (and unfortunately witnessed, lol) was Justin Hall with a 2:07:5. David Macananey holds a similar record (but about a tenth off of Justin). This is over the top, not with the bypass. A fast time is anything under 2:14 or so. A WINNING time is about a 2:09. This was not always so . . . 'in the beginning', when SM was still 'innocent' and 'pure', a fast time was a 2:15. With advancements in legal (some probably no so legal, but I won't go there) intake side mods and pricey engines, folks have taken that fast time down by over seven seconds since the inception of the Spec Miata class back in about (?) 1999.

I'm just frustrated because when I started out, a 2:10 would have won me a race. Back then, I was still struggling with a 2:16. Now that I'm consistently turning 2:12s and the occasional 2:10 or so, it's no longer a winning time. Poop I tell you -- just poop! But it's no big . . . I have fun, and that's really all that I care about. The last thing I need is a cheesy plastic trophy collecting dust anyway. Lol.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lap record for SM is 2:07.9 over the top and I'm guessing with bypass its in the mid to high 2:06 range...

High 2:09's will get you a win this year...wait until they repave it next year...records will be destroyed....

Quick Reply: August Hot Laps @ Thunderhill!