Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRC to use production-based rally cars in 2012

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/38365/

http://www.wrc.com/page/Welcome
Old 06-28-2007, 01:23 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

I'd much rather see current level cars in less events if that seems to be the deciding factor whether a manufacturer can afford a WRC program. I can't wait for Finland to see the Suzuki at full tilt...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:36 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know why speedtv covers any of this considering they never play it....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I wonder what the homologation rules will be. Would be cool to see low production super cars on the street - like the GT1 and CLK-GTR in rally form
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I wonder what the homologation rules will be. Would be cool to see low production super cars on the street - like the GT1 and CLK-GTR in rally form

Unlikely to happen - these days rallying is all about amazing driving in econoboxes. So Eurofords, Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens, Subaru, Mitsubishi. Possibly tempting back Honda, Toyota (dump the F1 fiasco), FIAT. And Mini could be 'interesting'.

Do not expect to see the likes of Mercedes, Lancia, Alfa, Porsche, ever again. Go look at the people who watch rallying, and what they drive, for the most part, its market demographics.

With tools like Virtual Spectator, rallying is beginning to appeal to a wider constituency, but it appears to be unable to make the jump to mass spectator sport.

R+C
Old 06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
Don't know why speedtv covers any of this considering they never play it....
Had to cut it to make room for all those Pinks and Unique Whips reruns....
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Unlikely to happen - these days rallying is all about amazing driving in econoboxes. So Eurofords, Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens, Subaru, Mitsubishi. Possibly tempting back Honda, Toyota (dump the F1 fiasco), FIAT. And Mini could be 'interesting'.

Do not expect to see the likes of Mercedes, Lancia, Alfa, Porsche, ever again. Go look at the people who watch rallying, and what they drive, for the most part, its market demographics.

With tools like Virtual Spectator, rallying is beginning to appeal to a wider constituency, but it appears to be unable to make the jump to mass spectator sport.

R+C
GT1 and the GTR were bad examples. What I meant was extreme low production Golfs, Subie's, Evo's etc....in rally form to pass the homologation rules. Sort of like the Ford RS200 or short wheelbase Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe.

A rally Audi TT would be pretty cool. You are dead on with the demographics comment. It is nice to see a younger generation getting into some form of motorsports other than "Fast and Furious".
Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cory M
Had to cut it to make room for all those Pinks and Unique Whips reruns....
I'm almost afraid to admit I'm starting to watch pinks
Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
A rally Audi TT would be pretty cool. You are dead on with the demographics comment. It is nice to see a younger generation getting into some form of motorsports other than "Fast and Furious".
Not so long ago, I was pleasantly surprised by a TT on a special stage. So I went out and tried one with two engines and over 800 bhp - it was certainly fast and furious.

At this stage I thought it would be a fun car for Pikes Peak and made enquiries about getting the WRC suspension from the Skoda rally team, as they are all VAG cars it was a bolt up, would you believe over $100,000 for the suspension. Fortunately we got sidetracked into other less OTT projects.

R+C

Quick Reply: WRC to use production-based rally cars in 2012