Sponsored by:

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Mobil 1 turns to water at race temps. maybe not an issue for 911s, but in the 928 community, there are about 20 motor grenades all running mobil 1. i use amzoil and have a record number of race hours on an original engine made in 1986 that has never been apart.
running mobil one in another car i built, gave 1 bar less oil pressure at temp. dont know of the connection , but seeing that dramatic difference in oil pressure at temp is something i was concerned with. i think a good kendal 20-50 racing oil is fine if you change it more frequently.
my opinion.
Mark:

A few thoughts,.....

1) Thin oils, in and of themselves, are not an issue if the engine is designed for it. Nextel Cup engines, for example, use 0w-10 race oils but the clearances and tolerances are all set up for it. One evaluates oils by analysis and inspection. We've had excellent successes with Mobil 1 products (and others) in 911 engines.

2) After ConocoPhillips bought the Kendall brand in 1997, the contents changed completely and its NOT the same product of old that enjoyed a stellar reputation. The old Kendall refinery was sold to the American Refining Group that continues the same product under the "Brad-Penn" oil label. Google: "American Refining Group" or "Brad Penn oils" for the whole story.

Hope this helps,....
Old 06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I used M1 15-50 and switched to Amsoil 20w-50. With the Amsoil I found better "hot" oil pressure and also used less oil. M1 is not 100% synthetic; it is allow to be somthing between 90% to 100%. Amsoil is still 100% synthetic.

BTW I pay about $1/quart more for Amsoil than M1.

Mike
Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mike, what was the hot oil pressure in both cases?
thanks
Joe
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

The indicated oil pressure would fall to 1 to 1.5 and now does not go below 2. Oil consumption dropped about 1/2 q per weekend.

Mike
Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

My oil pressure is pretty pegged to 5 bar on straights, and 4 bar on 80mph sweepers. oil temps are in the 260-280 F range depending on the outside temps. with Mobil 1, the pressure can get down to below 2 bar in turns. Plus, the idling pressure is about 1 bar less at 1000rpm to 2000rpm. (ie 3-4 bar, where amzoil seems to stay at near 5 bar at 2krpms no problem. )

I dont think the oil is too thick, as i probably have one of the oldest race engines in a regularly campagned race car, in the world. Its running near 100 racing hours now, still belting out well over rated factory hp, and over 6 full racing seasons, plus 15 years of unknown non racing abuse. Other motors ive had and pulled apart using amzoil and redline, showed no visable wear paterns on the bearins with over 170,000miles, 35,000miles on that engine when it was mainly used for DE and racing events.

I think what i have proved with amzoil should certainly provide value to anyone questioning its ability to help an engine survive unusual abuse. Im sure most applications for street use, really wouldnt care what kind of oil is used, but at near 300F degrees, if the reduction of oil pressure is a sign of thermal breakdown or a reduction of its protective qualities, the Amzoil and redline are the way to go and Mobil 1 might not be worth the risk.

mk

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mobil 1 turns to water?!?!?! HUH? What temp is your oil getting to? Synth oil can stand higher temps than dino oils.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil