Sponsored by:

Exclusive Track Days!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM
mcclusk400
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exclusive Track Days!

Anyone interested in running Lime Rock on 6/29, there is an exclusive track day on offer! - 1:1 instructor ratio plus instructors on each corner, 3+ hours of seat time and all day instruction. Full hospitality all day too. Two run groups of 10 will assure high quality track time and many exotics will be in attendance so it is a high quality event all around. Cost is $2,000 for the day. It's a 6th Gear event.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

$2000.00 for the day. Is this per car? Say it aint so!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yer it's a tad bit on the expensive side, who's are instructors?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

I heard Larry Herman is the featured instructor.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Old 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an observation... $2000 buys about 10 DEs for a total of 20-30 hours of seat time with an instructor if you need one, solo if advanced. If the price is so high because there are only 10 on the track at a time, I suggest you double up at the least to give 6 hours on the track. 10 cars is "empty" and we typically run 25-35 in a session at LRP.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't think of a track that I'd rather spend $2000 for a day on than LRP
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1, I'd even go $2500 for LRP...............

BTW, the Glen is a fun track too.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 264 Posts

I'll go if Pam Anderson is my instructor! That would double the number of corners I have to negotiate...

Old 06-24-2007, 11:20 AM
smankow
Pro

so basically, you're looking at 20 cars @ $2,000 each so revenue is $40,000. I know that it can't cost that much to rent LMP for a day, so the question comes back to who are the instructors to justify the cost? You can drive with groups like Kojote for about $375/day and rent an instructor and only have around 30 cars or so on The Glen and get 7 hours of track time.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, Miller Motorsports Park in Utah cost $15K for the full track for a day last year, and this year they raised it to $20K. Additional costs include corner workers pay. A few of us are looking at charging $1000 for a full track day with professional instruction. We are sure that we will have enough demand, though want to make sure that we offer enought seat time. To do so, we would need to look the sponsorship route...

Anyway, $2000 per day at Lime Rock sounds expensive. Then again, my most expensive track day this year was $600 and completely worth it as the track was empty and I had a TON of seat time (4+ hours). Another concern is the "exotics" mentioned... In my experience, those drivers are rarely fast a slow me down. 'Point bys' tend not to be in their vocabulary...

My $0.02,

-B
Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I can't think of a track that I'd rather spend $2000 for a day on than LRP
How about NHIS?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Costs us about $9K total for a weekday at Thunderhill, split 35 ways in our little "club" and it's affordable. 7 hours open track, no run sessions, no passing limitations. (Next one is 8/27 if anyone experienced and out our way is interested.)

Obviously, these aren't instruction days; but back to the discussion, if you wanted to go that route there's plenty of wiggle room to pay for pros to show and help out.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

LRP is approximately 15k per day. WGI is approximately 7.5k per day. Weekdays/weekends on season, off season will vary the rate.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 6th Gear Track day at Lime Rock on Friday the 29th

Guys, if I may weigh in here, as an attendee and friend of the organizers....

Yes, it's $2k. Yes, that's expensive. But it should not be compared to regular club track days, which for Lime Rock vary between $275-$400 per day.

The concept is to offer a more upscale, full service experience. Sure, you can run LRP for much less, but you can also go out and buy a WRX or C6 Vette and drive as fast or faster than most of the Porsches that you and I drive. So why do we spend the extra money? For the fact that we want all of the perceived benefits of driving a Porsche, silly. The target demographic for this outing is the same demo that will spend $8k for two days in the Ferrari Driving Experience, $25k on a watch, $2500 for one night in an island villa, etc. Or, for that matter, $100k+ on a Porsche 911 GT3.

What does that $2k get you? First off, a Friday at LRP in June is pretty darn rare. The instructors are from Skip Barber. Total track time will, in reality, be more than you can handle - seriously. 20 drivers, broken up into two groups. Basically, it'll be open track for everyone. The schedule is set up so that there are multiple 40 minute sessions, and I'd be surprised if anyone leaves at the end of the day without being completely exhausted. Also available is the Skip Barber vehicle dynamics seminar on the autocross course, your option - learn more about car control theory.

What else? A professional photographer will be shooting all day, and all photos are included. A pair of cute spokesmodels will be cleaning windshields, checking tire pressures, serving lunch and helping you to strap into your car. Spec Miata rentals will available, for those not bringing their own machinery (yes, fairly high end). Dinner at the Interlaken the night before, and a very nice catered lunch at the chalet. Snacks and drinks throughout the day. Track support from Ferrari New England.

The organizers have run this type of event at NHIS a few times in the past, and they've been smash successes, with some exotic machinery, a few celebrity attendees, but most importantly, lots of track time with some really great guys (and a few wimmenfolk driving too). Heck, it's worth the extra money to avoid having to deal with a$$h_les!

As for the cost, well, Lime Rock is really expensive to rent, much more than NHIS or WGI (heck, it's close to renting NHIS *and* WGI). Skippy instructors and use of the skidpad and facilities aren't cheap either, then toss in all the extra stuff.

Bottom line, it's *not* for everyone. But if you want a fully immersive, fun day at Lime Rock with a bunch of fellow enthusiasts without any of the "usual" hassles (of a club day, and you know to which I refer), it'll be a heckuva good time. Worth the money? Only you can decide....

vty,

--Dennis

Regional Director Ferrari Club of America / New England Region
Chief Instructor Ferrari Club of America / Empire State Region

Quick Reply: Exclusive Track Days!