Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo R888 DOT tires just released for NA

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I just ran my R888 set yesterday for 6 long sessions, and I'm very happy. Like the RA1, it takes 4-5 sessions before they're fast if you run them full tread. Perhaps shaving them would help, I don't know.

I don't find them particularly loud on the road. The sidewalls do appear a bit stiffer than the RA1, which I'm very thankful for. It'll be a couple more days before I have a conclusive opinion about that.

But so far, so good! I shaved a few tenths off my lap times over the RA1's last year.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I just ran my R888 set yesterday for 6 long sessions, and I'm very happy. Like the RA1, it takes 4-5 sessions before they're fast if you run them full tread. Perhaps shaving them would help, I don't know.

I don't find them particularly loud on the road. The sidewalls do appear a bit stiffer than the RA1, which I'm very thankful for. It'll be a couple more days before I have a conclusive opinion about that.

But so far, so good! I shaved a few tenths off my lap times over the RA1's last year.
Source?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radial Tire is one of the largest toyo distributers on the east coast. They offer discounts for PCA members as well. 301-585-2840 Ask for Paul. They will ship via UPS IIRC.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:57 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Um...yeah...that's the rub. Toyo has THE WORST distribution system in the world, bar none.

Unless you have a major Toyo motorsports dealer local. Our series gets great support from our local Toyo dealer. Byran is out at each track event with stacks of tires ready to go.

With respect to the R888. Please report back wet performance. Our class is spec RA-1's and eventually the RA-1 will be phased out for the R888. I would like to use the R888 as our next spec tire and all seems good except for rain performance. Looking at the tread pattern I am just not sure how well it will do as compared to more open RA-1 pattern.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

Well, here in the 2nd most populous state in the country, there is no real option for getting Toyo's other than trying ot track down out of town vendors who are sparsely scattered around the country.

Toyo needs to get their heads out of their ***, kiss & make up with Tire Rack, and actually start gaining US market share.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:03 AM
krC2S
Racer

are they the same as the Nittos as initially thought?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone with any info on how these respond to camber. Their recommendation of such high static camber seems odd to me as from what it sounds it is a symmetirc tire. I know with these going on production based cars that the camber loss is huge, but they don't state any reasons. Please, data, personal experiences, anyone?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Anyone with any info on how these respond to camber. Their recommendation of such high static camber seems odd to me as from what it sounds it is a symmetirc tire. I know with these going on production based cars that the camber loss is huge, but they don't state any reasons. Please, data, personal experiences, anyone?

fwiw toyo recommendedss the same camber for both the ra1 and thr r888.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Toyo needs to get their heads out of their ***, kiss & make up with Tire Rack, and actually start gaining US market share.
Tire rack started selling some of the OEM toyo tires again, just none of the good stuff they make. www.edgeracing.com in FL has pretty good prices on toyos incl the RA1.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Try Phil's Tire Service He's a huge supporter at our NASA events, racer and a great guy to deal with.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLee
I'm getting a set within days, will report; 255 F and 295 R for Cayman w. 8.5 & 10.5 x 18 Fikses. I expect they'll be very similar to RA1s and like 40 lbs. hot pressures.
Anything to report as far are your experience with the R888s?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

If they are the same as RA1s, then what is the difference. Stiffer sidewall? thats hard to imagine, as the sidewall is VERY stiff on the 30, 35 and 40 series tires used for WC.
pressures should be in the 37-40psi range Hot.
unidirectional only is due to tread pattern at full tread, and wet use. dry use or shaved, and you can ignor the unidirectional indicators.

by the way, ive been racing on the RA1s for 6 years now and run 1.5 front and 2 rear degrees of camber and still wear out the inside edge first. toyo shouldnt be spec'ing camber setting as every car is different.

king of used speed world challenge GT RA1s.

MK
Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
If they are the same as RA1s, then what is the difference. stiffer sidewall? thats hard to imagine, as the sidewall is VERY stiff on the 30, 35 and 40 series tires used for WC....
Really?? I thought that lack of sidewall stiffness was a common gripe about RA1's. Maybe you never had an issue with -4 deg camber (or whatever) but I certainly had outside wear issues with -2 deg camber.

Here's what Toyo says:
Originally Posted by toyo web site
June 21, 2007

Toyo® Announces the Official Release of the
Proxes® R888™ R-Compound D.O.T. Approved Competition Tire

CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA – Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation announces the official release of the Proxes® R888™ R-compound D.O.T. approved competition tire. The Proxes R888 (pronounced “R-triple eight”), has been designed to exceed the high standard set by Toyo’s legendary Proxes® RA1™ for both amateur and professional racers. The Proxes R888 delivers outstanding grip and consistency for quick lap times, making it ideal for use while road racing, at track days and at high-performance driving schools.

The Proxes R888’s tread design delivers a continuous center contact for excellent traction and directional control during dry braking. Semi-slick shoulder areas maintain large surface contact during cornering for an immediate steering response and ultimate dry traction. The combination of the two provides a large overall surface area for optimized contact pressure distribution during cornering, braking and acceleration.

Another feature, which benefits competition coupes and sedans, is a rounded shoulder which maintains greater contact with the track surface during suspension geometry changes in hard turns. The Proxes R888 is molded to a 6/32nd inch tread depth with a unidirectional V-shaped tread to enhance wet traction and control. Like the Proxes RA1, the Proxes R888 can be shaved to maximize dry traction for competitive events.

Proxes R888 design features include improved cornering stiffness and steering response by incorporating a high modulus filler located in the tire bead structure. This “reinforcing material”, combined with a race-proven tread compound, results in quicker maneuvering compared to the Proxes RA1.

Overall tire construction is critical for performance and reliability. A jointless cap and edge ply ensures high-speed dimensional stability. This construction further improves upon the legendary “Toyo Tires™ consistency” recognized by competitors around the country.

“Toyo has enjoyed a long, winning history in racing. ” said Steve Weinger, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Toyo Tire (U.S.A.) Corporation. “We anticipate great success with the new Proxes R888 as it takes Toyo racing technology to a higher level.”

Currently, the Proxes RA1 is the ‘official tire’ in several classes of both SCCA and NASA competition. Toyo is working with both organizations to incorporate the Proxes R888 in upcoming racing seasons.

The Proxes R888 will be available in mainstream 17- to 19-inch sizes beginning this summer. Several additional sizes will be released through Spring of 2008. To learn more about the new Proxes R888 from Toyo, log on to toyo.com.

Quick Reply: Toyo R888 DOT tires just released for NA