Sponsored by:

Crash at PCA Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It's deceptive from a visual perspective. You can't really see the lack of camber on the outside unless you walk it. That being said, it is also too easy to overcook it there. It happened to me during the club race qualifying. I came in a little too hot and the car just stayed right. So when I came to the edge of the track, I turned in and hit the gas. It worked because I'm still here, but it was a huge pucker moment.

You, make a mistake???

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You, make a mistake???

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
Yes, another one of Life's dissapointments. First we have John Cleese doing Corporate events, now this!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the mighty have fallen, and by self-admission as well.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

It's deceptive from a visual perspective. You can't really see the lack of camber on the outside unless you walk it. That being said, it is also too easy to overcook it there. It happened to me during the club race qualifying. I came in a little too hot and the car just stayed right. So when I came to the edge of the track, I turned in and hit the gas. It worked because I'm still here, but it was a huge pucker moment.

I did the same thing. I remember thinking, "well I've got to start turning, I hope it sticks". It did.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

How the mighty have fallen, and by self-admission as well.

I am, frankly, devastated.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The person involved would like their name removed from this thread.

Thanks
David
Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Done.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

Kurt if this is the Roy I'm thinking of please let me know. If so I hope Deb (and he) are taking this OK and we will call or e-mail them tonight.

BTW you haven't seen much of me this year because my car (still) needs a wiring harness. Very depressing to see cob webs on brand new Hoosiers.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, since I didn't get an answer yet, I don't think I will and it is time to end this discussion. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured.

The End
Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope the injured parties are recovering quickly.

Out of curiosity, how did the instructor get injured since he was in what many of us consider to be a "safe" car (roll cage, harnesses, racing seat)? Did the harnesses cause the broken ribs? Also, did the passenger side have the roll bar padding? If not, did that contribute to the concussion?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Dad911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bull...and Larry.

And this is what I know: The car was basically a stock 964. Full Safety Devices cage. New harnesses. Full padding on the roll bar, Kirkey seats. There was no padding on the harnesses, as it is not recommended for Hans Devices. Stock engine & exhaust (swapped from when purchased from Phil) with a cat bypass only. Big brakes (as it was used as a dual driver car for quite a few events). Mild suspension.

Driver had considerable experience at the Glen, with alot of positive feedback.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For DE purposes, we instruct that T6 entry should be about one car width from the right, put your right front wheel on the outside black parting line of the fresh paving (about 1/2 or so off center) and patiently wait to see the late apex. Yes, not the fastest line for racing, but the accepted and safe DE line.
Remember guys, for DE, every region does or should instruct using exactly the same line at each corner so as not to confuse the student.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Dad911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Thanks JB, I was actually thinking more how it was performance prepared i.e. tires, suspension, power, weight. Could it have been too much car for a new student?
Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Ok, since I didn't get an answer yet, I don't think I will and it is time to end this discussion. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured.

The End
Stock power, with a cat bypass only. 'R' compound tires, but driver learned on street tires & stock suspension, for the first year and a half (18+days). This was his first event of his third season.

Mild suspension, car was not lightened or race prepared. I believe this was an ideal DE car.

It would be nice and convenient to pick a specific cause for any incident. However, that is not typically the case, and definitely not applicable in this instance.

As a much wiser man than I said, 'Let's just try to put this behind us' and get on with life. I agree with Ed, 'My thoughts and prayers are with those who were injured' and 'The End'

Quick Reply: Crash at PCA Glen