Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash at PCA Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh? Done what? Wished people a full and speedy recovery? Most definitely I've done that before. And I'll probably have to do that again.

You see, DE will ALWAYS be dangerous, and will always have risk. As much as you are able to mitigate risk, you will never, ever, eliminate it. Whether it be human error, mechanical failure, or act of God, **** will happen. The only way you'll completely eliminate the risk is to eliminate the DE.

Even in the most safe and professional and controlled of environments, there will be accidents. The best thing you can hope for is that nobody suffers more than some scraped paint and a bruised ego. In this case, it sounds like some serious bodily injury resulted, and that is really too bad... but not as bad as it could have been.

But really, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Muir
Give it a break, you are growing tiresome and this is the wrong time and place.
+1
Old 06-19-2007, 06:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
A crash at another DE , Thank God the instructor is OK, I guess this one will be invited back also

while i do believe in driver education, teaching proper braking technique, Lines, making a student smoother and better, what you cannot teach them is speed and car control, that is a natural instinct , you have it or you do not , for a student driver , to drive fast enough for this kind of injury is just plain stupid......DE instructors do have ***** of Steel.......

FLame suit on , beam me up scotty
What a ludicrous post. It's so outrageous that it barely deserves a response.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Professor Dell, can I play with your ***** of steel someday?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll need to get approval from the wifey
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread just went downhill fast.... No, wait, that was over 20+ posts ago.... My sincerest apologies...

Actually, I am interested in hearing the specifics regarding the DE incident... Please post when the info becomes available...

Thanks,
-B
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

It went downhill because of a few who made ignorant comments about DEs...

What amazes me here is that an incident or two apparently happened. That's all that's posted... Then you have a few individuals who apparently lack class and the ability to keep their poor attitudes in check who want to spout rediculous comments... They should edit this thread and delete the ignorant rants of a few...

There are a number of us going to the glen in two weeks. We'd like to know the facts so we're more "educated" as to what happened to those involved and how, so we can maybe "apply" the lessons learned. Anything else is without reason, other than stirring a large pot... For no apparent GOOD intent... If you don't prefer to do a DE, then DON'T. And you're intitled to an opinion. But tell it to someone who cares to hear it... And for gods sake, don't sign up as my instructor, because I'd hate to show you the wrong side of my shoe if you act in person the way some have on the board...

+3...

Mike
Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, FYI, if it is accurate that the incident was in T6, then alot of factors should be considered when you go. I have alot of time on the track since the repave both hot humid and cold raining. Just be careful in T6. It gets really slick in the wet. Very smooth with good initial grip in the dry settle the car and follow even balance like in T10, but progressive throttle (downhill). Don't stay hard right in the braking zone, give some room. (I noticed car can pull a little right while braking). Some guys have found a magic line coming in mid track and staying hard inside using the camber (ala T5, but with camber). Track fully out. This is just info on the turn T6 of course no saying on the incident itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there this weekend (in yellow) with Zone 1, this thread certainly gives one pause. I had a spin in the laces year before last and am still spooked by that spot a bit. I did one (3 day) event since at nice slow pace, working the line and trying to get smooth and had no incidents. Still, after the spin I felt like I had no business out there. Maybe I'm one who does not "have it".

Who knows, anyway - back on the horse for me.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H2OJazz
I will be there this weekend (in yellow) with Zone 1, this thread certainly gives one pause. I had a spin in the laces year before last and am still spooked by that spot a bit. I did one (3 day) event since at nice slow pace, working the line and trying to get smooth and had no incidents. Still, after the spin I felt like I had no business out there. Maybe I'm one who does not "have it".

Who knows, anyway - back on the horse for me.
Those thoughts are normal. Just get right back on the horse, and take the lessons you learned the last time as a way to make you a better driver. In order to be a good driver, you must have confidence in what you are doing, so just make sure that you do not put yourself in any situations in which you, or your instructor, are not confident in your ability to control your car.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

T6 is not a corner that you want early apex......
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to Ed's original question. Do we know more about these incidents?

Phil mentioned that ** was injured. Great driver and one of the very best instructors I know.

Does anyone here have some contact info for *? I always try to speak with him at the track -- most recently at the WGI D.E. day before the club race -- and was just telling * how I wanted to ride with him, but there never seems to be time at D.E.'s to get into the same car (and I don't always have a passenger's seat in my car). I would at least like to send * a card or drop him a line.

Thanks.

Last edited by richard glickel.; 06-20-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard, Drop DavidK a PM else he might be online and will PM you with information.

Last edited by Jerseybean; 06-20-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I would appreciate a PM as well. Maybe with an email address of Roys.

THanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morefun
T6 is not a corner that you want early apex......
Most crashes in T6 do not happen because of that. It is usually because you mis-judge your speed and how much longer your braking has to be because it's steeply downhill. What is more likely is that you will slide off the outside under braking before you ever start turning for the apex. Even though you are not using all of the road, taking a more middle entry might be a better chioce. Some guys get around that turn pretty quickly that way.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Crash at PCA Glen