Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window net for a GT3 with only a roll bar???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window net for a GT3 with only a roll bar???

I need a window net to get my GT3 ready for the gingerman clubrace....i only have a DAS sport roll bar though and dont want to drill or fabricate anything. Anyone have any leads to a window net i coud use? thanks in advance
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I have something you might be able to use. I used it on my 993 when it had only a DAS. It attaches to your door frame on top. (Im not sure if a GT3 has a door frame on the top or if its just the window. If its just the window you are SOL for this solution. If you are interested 35.00 plus shipping.

Don
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

No frame around the window on a 996 GT3.

944TURBOS, did you weld plates under the DAS Sport roll bar legs? Did you attach your sub belts to the floor of the car with eye bolts and large washers?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
I need a window net to get my GT3 ready for the gingerman clubrace....i only have a DAS sport roll bar though and dont want to drill or fabricate anything. Anyone have any leads to a window net i coud use? thanks in advance
A) Why do people race without a proper roll cage? Why does the PCA allow this to go on?

B) It's a race car...if you aren't willing to drill a few holes in it, you shouldn't be racing it.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I agree with Bryan. I got rid of my GT3 because I felt that it was too fast to be safe enough with a rollbar at a DE, let alone a club race.

That being said, most guys remove the A piller trim and drill a locating hole there for the window net rod. The other can can be fastened through the shoulder belt blt hole. I am not certain how they fasten the bottom, but that should be easier to figure out.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
A) Why do people race without a proper roll cage? Why does the PCA allow this to go on?

B) It's a race car...if you aren't willing to drill a few holes in it, you shouldn't be racing it.
+1
Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 101 Posts

Here is more complication how do you "properly" anchor the front part of a right side net? These things are really becoming basic cheap parts of a safety system with proven benefits.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:34 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts

+12437310987450987104235790984312571432578.14159
Old 06-16-2007, 01:45 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Photos from another thread here.

The red car had a bolt in cage which wasn't enough as he ended up in the hospital after this. A roll bar doesn't come close to matching a real roll cage, let alone a bolt in cage like the red car had.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:26 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Ok sorry was not looking for a lesson in safety! I understand and fully agree that a full cage would be the safest and best bet. SAfety is usually my number one priority. I bought a HANS device the moment I could get one on the market for myself. However, I daily drive this car, I considered selling it, considered going back to a 944 race car and a street car, however, I have too much into this car to get rid of it and would rather keep it. I do not want to rip up the GT3 and build a proper cage for it. I would have to drill holes, ruin the car and make it a track only car. It is both, a track/street car and I am going to be club racing it. I suppose the only thing left to do is remove the A piller and fabricate something. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Photos from another thread here...
The red car had a bolt in cage which wasn't enough as he ended up in the hospital after this. A roll bar doesn't come close to matching a real roll cage, let alone a bolt in cage like the red car had.
It was enough that he didn't die, right? I bet if he had a welded in cage made by the best cage builder in the world he'd still end up in the hospital after an impact like that. But again, that's just speculation!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 that you should have a cage etc. if you race but there are a lot of people who compromise for many different reasons. Even in DE people drive same speeds as the racers do, yet there is no roll bars required. That also is a compromise (in that case between streetability & trackanility).

Everyone makes compromises and even though I feel everyone appreciates the advice (I know I do!) for example I now have a full cage which for track is good but for street is a concern since that bar of awfully close to my head and without the helmet, it's not so good... Again, a compromise.

A compromise is a compromise and all of us do them.

Unless all of you guys have $100000 Schubert helmet and everything else that big money can buy.

Can a WW2 tank drive over your helmet without it breaking? If not, you are making a compromise.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
I would have to drill holes, ruin the car and make it a track only car.
Hence one of my questions. To comply with PCA club racing rules the sub belts must be attached to the floor of the car. That means drilling holes.

Also, I understand that the DAS Sport rollbar is only PCA club racing legal if the downtubes sit on reinforcement plates welded to the floor.

At least that is what I thought I learned when I decided that I was not going to club race my GT3. The sub belt point I checked with PCA.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Hence one of my questions. To comply with PCA club racing rules the sub belts must be attached to the floor of the car. That means drilling holes.

Also, I understand that the DAS Sport rollbar is only PCA club racing legal if the downtubes sit on reinforcement plates welded to the floor.

At least that is what I thought I learned when I decided that I was not going to club race my GT3. The sub belt point I checked with PCA.
One thing to concider... Once you've drilled the first hole, the next ones are much much much easier to your heart rate!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos

Yes the subbelt is drilled, however, that is much less intrusive then ripping up a dash to install a proper cage. If I was to install a cage I would have had a proper cage built for the car. If things go well and I purchase another car then I will build a full cage for this car. However, as it sits now I am going to have to use the DAS sport bar and fabricate some points for the net. thanks again to all the replies and i fully understand the concerns and appreciate them.

Quick Reply: Window net for a GT3 with only a roll bar???