Sponsored by:

Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 AM
bmh993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailers

I'm planning on replacing my steel, open trailer with an aluminum, and have been looking at ATC, Featherlite & CargoPro. Would like to have enough room in front of the GT3 to put the tire rack down on the deck, not up in the air.

Towing will not be a problem with new F350 diesel - yes overkill for this, but have other uses for it.

Any thoughts, and any good used ones out there?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You may also consider a Trailerworld trailer which is also an all aluminum trailer. With the GT3, you want to specifiy that car when/if you have the trailer made so they can place the trailer axles more towards the rear to help have proper tongue weight with the rear engined car.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Bruce
I have a CargoPro (now Thule) 20', which with the V-nose is actually 51" longer (enclosed) total length of trailer is 26'2"; it is a 2003 model # C8.5x20CH. I have been very happy with it.
I tow with an F-350 diesel; no problems there! Trailer is still plenty long enough for me; I am glad its not any longer (from a maneuverability standpoint, though plenty of guys have longer trailers).
Putting the tire rack on the floor is an interesting idea; if you did that with my trailer, it would not work, as my v-nose is full of cabinets, but if you put the rack on the floor in place of the lower cabinets, it might.
If you might put the tire rack on the wall, get the trailer configured that way; it is better to have the factory do it (according to CargoPro/Thule).
Carrying 8 tires? I am not so sure they would fit on the floor as I suggested above; I'll bet it would be OK with 4.
Hope this helps; there are several different brands of quality trailers so you may also want to think about the dealer as you decide on brands.
Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Bruce, You did not indicate if the new trailer will be open or closed. I have an ATC, 18' open and have been very happy with the way it tows. It has dual rear axels so weight will not be an issue. Tires could be fitted to the floor with enough for car in rear on an 18'. They also make a 20' which you may want to consider.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Randy very astutely noted that Bruce might have been thinking about an open trailer; I assumed closed. Randy is right that it is a question about open trailers.
BRUCE - the User CP link is near the top left of this page just under the word Trailers; click on that link and it will take you to the section where you can upload an avatar.
Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
carreraberry
Intermediate

Default Trailex Closed All Aluminum

I have a Trailex enclosed. Could not be happier. Very high quality build and materials. Great customer service.

The large opening for car door ingress/egress is great. Towing a 993 Supercup.

Fantastic overhood strong and usable tire rack from factory.

http://www.trailex.com/buycat.cfm?cat_id=93

However:

1) its pricey. For those who have towing weight issues (I tow it with an Audi Q7) worth the incremental price to be compatible with tow vehicle limitations
2) the wait list is a little long right now
Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

V-nose trailers are much more efficent and provide some interesting alternatives for cabinetry and tire storage. Mine is a 28ft. Pace Aerosport (24ft. of box + 3 ft of V-nose) which is a steel framed trailer but weighs close to the all aluminums for much less costs.....
Old 06-14-2007, 05:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 948 Likes on 577 Posts

I have an enclosed 18' + 4' V nose ATC- very happy with it. Good quality- tows like a dream.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
V-nose trailers are much more efficent and provide some interesting alternatives for cabinetry and tire storage. Mine is a 28ft. Pace Aerosport (24ft. of box + 3 ft of V-nose) which is a steel framed trailer but weighs close to the all aluminums for much less costs.....
Which tire rack brand do you have? they look better than mine.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
htron435
Advanced

I am a distributor for Motiv/ATC and I have a few open and enclosed aluminum trailers in stock. You can contact me @ 937-325-3748 (I'm located in central Ohio), or send me a PM. Depending on your needs (current and future), you might consider an enclosed as an alternative to the open -- you certainly have enough truck for one. Having said that, I tow my car with an 18' open with the bolt on tire rack. I'll also be at the Glen with Zone 1 in just over a week if you're in the area.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Which tire rack brand do you have? they look better than mine.
Those look like Pace factory built tire racks. They look like the tire racks on units we've sold.

Quick Reply: Trailers