Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 01:51 AM
shustermeister
Racer

I live in Charlotte and was looking forward to this race - imagine my surprise when they decided to run the oval with 2 chicanes. The chicane created by the tractor tires in the middle of the track had to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I just don't understand why they ran this format, when Lowe's has a road course that works just fine for exciting racing. Race just wasn't that exciting - lots of unnecessary carnage...
Where's my old beloved Speedvision?
Old 06-04-2007 | 10:10 AM
Z-man
Race Director

A year ago, my wonderful cable company took away Speed TV unless I pay an extra $9.99 for a stupid box.

I guess I haven't missed anything.

I was going to get the box soon, but threads like these make me reconsider...

-Z-man.
Old 06-04-2007 | 10:20 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by shustermeister
I just don't understand why they ran this format, when Lowe's has a road course that works just fine for exciting racing.
It was run on the same weekend as the NASCAR All-star race, which means the infield is full of campers, sponsors, and entertainment areas.
Old 06-05-2007 | 07:35 PM
tchandler
Instructor

so it's official Speed World Challenge has "Jumped the shark"

http://www.jumptheshark.com/index.jspa
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:12 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Speed TV essentially dropped World Challenge after last season. SCCA and others persuaded them to extend their name-sponsorship for one more season.
Don't start internet rumors as there is a lot more to it than that
Old 06-06-2007 | 10:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Don't start internet rumors as there is a lot more to it than that

That rumor significantly preceded my posting of it, and I didn't start it. However, when SCCA & Speed don't say squat in terms of details, keep their fans in the dark, and Speed announced previously that 2006 would be its last as name sponsor, they sort of deserve the rumors that ensue.
Old 06-06-2007 | 11:15 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tchandler
so it's official Speed World Challenge has "Jumped the shark"
http://www.jumptheshark.com/index.jspa
That's a PERFECT description of this fiasco.
Old 06-06-2007 | 01:39 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That rumor significantly preceded my posting of it, and I didn't start it. However, when SCCA & Speed don't say squat in terms of details, keep their fans in the dark, and Speed announced previously that 2006 would be its last as name sponsor, they sort of deserve the rumors that ensue.
Let's not start knick-picking all the details of who did what, why and how they did it. A rumor on the internet or around the race community does not always mean it is a fact. You and I are both smart enough to know that. I have heard all the rumors you have and have been asked by lots of people on the whether they are true or not. Most of them have been very far from the truth and some of what is said above is of that nature or misinterpretation of the facts twisted to fit the story (similar to what our libtard media friends like to do ) .

Anyway the Speed GT race at Charlotte was a different format tried to get the series in front of a bigger audience. In some ways it was a great success and in some (from your reactions) a failure. I don't see it as a lame attempt but more of a bold move to try something totally different than what has been attempted previously by most road racing series out there. I think you will see that the racing will be back to what it has been in the past this weekend at the Glen and will continue to be the series you guys have loved.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:00 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

A bimbo spinning a wobbly "Wheel of inversion" with a guy dressed up as a big bolt standing next to her is just what we need in road racing. I have an idea! How about some plain old fashioned road racing on TV and leave The Price is Right crap to Bob Barker?
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have an idea! How about some plain old fashioned road racing on TV and leave The Price is Right crap to Bob Barker?
That may be what you want, but it's obviously not selling to a broader audience or we'd see fields growing and more TV time for World Challenge. I applaud those who think outside the box when it comes to road racing. The France family has done it with Grand-Am Rolex and developed a very successful series, attracting fans, teams, and drivers.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
That's a PERFECT description of this fiasco.

Yep..
I quite watching CART years ago when then went to the funky "pit window" rules. Why not just let the guys race it out straight up.

Grand am's "must stop in first 45 min" seems much the same way.

I personlly hate that in F1 you must use BOTH tires in the race. Why not just let them pick one or the other. Pick the compound such that in a long stint the softs may go off. So 2 stopper pick soft tires and 1 stopper pick the hard tires.

All these games just take away from the pruity of the sport. IMHO.
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:31 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

It reminded me of when Fox TV and the NHL got together and did the blue/red streak behind the hockey puck. Some things you just look back on and say "OK, so that was dumb.".
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:38 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjanes
It reminded me of when Fox TV and the NHL got together and did the blue/red streak behind the hockey puck. Some things you just look back on and say "OK, so that was dumb.".
I prefer the streak...
Old 06-06-2007 | 03:44 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

I have actually never seen a "Chicane O Doom" before that was capable of ripping the suspension off a closed wheel race car. Now that's something that would spice our driver eds up!!
Old 06-06-2007 | 04:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

I think the problem is that we all expect to see racing. THIS WAS NOT A RACE. Rather, it was entertainment. Forcing everyone to pit, then randomly shuffling the leaders = not a race. Think about it; there was an 80% chance the leader would be told to give up his spot. That's not much of a race.

Quick Reply: Speed GT