Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

What does the traqmate do that the Performance bBox can't do for 1/2 the price?

http://vboxusa.com/performancedrift/performancebox.php
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA
Forklift: I have the 12V Hot Lap transmitter which has double the range, but have been having some trouble with the lawnmower battery it uses. If I can get it working this weekend maybe you can get some cleaner times. Otherwise I'll be poaching your beacon, too.

I'm in a black 996 with a white Dodge Ram V10 tow vehicle, next to a red 993 with a blue Range Rover tow vehicle. Come find me if you want to give it a shot.

Ram
Hey Ram,

Sounds good, I'll come by. I usually do better at VIR than SPR w/ the hotlap, but if yours is working correctly and has more range, I'm all for it. I should have a garage, not sure what number yet.

Nice panoramic view of Turn 6! I don't think I have ever seen a spin there.

See you Friday,

Jim
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

eclou - I think the Traqmate offers a neat video overlay function...

I am on the fence on this like Dell as I am also looking for one system to do both my video and data logging... Apart from Traqmate, what other systems exist in a nice "all-in-one" with GPS package?

-B
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If the traqmate wasn't so darn pricey I could easily justify it. What a sec. How do I justify anything in this hobby? Nobody gets it except y'all and I don't have to justify a thing since we all suffer the same sickness. I sure would be better if the TM system was more like $500 for the basic and $750-800 for the complete and then $1K for the complete WITH video overlay.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Nice panoramic view of Turn 6! I don't think I have ever seen a spin there.
Not sure how to take that! FWIW it's a nice, soft place to go off...

I guess you can see how off-line I was. Pretty clear-cut case of brain fade, methinks. It's my first spin in about 25 track days days, but it definitely had me spooked the rest of the day.

One interesting thing I pulled off the DL-1: the lap immediately prior was actually my FTD through that sector.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
RamVA
Racer

FWIW I picked the DL-1 purely because a lot of the Lotus guys use it, which makes it easier to compare data/experience, etc. We'll see if that makes a big difference in the long run.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OT to RAMVA

Nice video... spun in the same place with hot head and hotter tires at my first outing at Summit Main this past April. Except I went to the outside.

What kinds of mods are you running on your C2... From the video it looks like you are turning 1:28/29s..

-paul
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 AM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul 996
OT to RAMVA

Nice video... spun in the same place with hot head and hotter tires at my first outing at Summit Main this past April. Except I went to the outside.

What kinds of mods are you running on your C2... From the video it looks like you are turning 1:28/29s..

-paul
The clean lap shown after the spin was my FTD - 1:28.45. I honestly don't know if that's good or not for these cars. According to the DL-1 there's another second to be had at minimum. It's an '01 3.4L with PSS9s and Cups mounted on turbo twist replicas, and otherwise stock. The PSS9s were at F1/R1, but after the spin I dialed the rears back a little.

I do know that time is about a second faster than the track record... for a Spec Miata.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Ultralap. I like mine a lot and it works with all the AIM transmitters.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=RamVA]I was more getting at the fact that if you're at that level you're going to need more/better feedback for improvement.

Amongst the many things I learned in just my first three days using it, all at Summit, some examples:

- I'm at least a second faster in the carousel using 2nd gear rather than 3rd. I'm also much less stable (witness the spin).
- I could be carrying more speed through T10, which is the most important turn. (Interesting side note: I was 5mph faster coming onto the front straight in the Lotus, and 10mph slower at the end!)
- Throwing away T5 is indeed the fastest way around, but only if you are hard onto the throttle coming out of T4.

Hey, Ram

Looking briefly at your vid:

Your a little late in T4 (look for the little orange dot on the left), power comes early, into and out of the apex WOT. Track way across with the increased speed. Steering Wheel should be perfectly straight for hard braking.

T5-T6 can be second, but you need to short shift to 3rd or as the wheel releases out of T6. Upper part of the track has poor grip as your video shows.

You pinched the end of Wagon Bend at track out. Let the wheel settle out on WOT then cross the track to T4.

Balance the car through T6 to T9, track position closer to center in T6-T7 and as the car goes neutral following T8 begin turn in for T9 (feels early) car is much better settled. You can be WOT through T9 once your comfortable in 4th gear.

That should put you in the 1:26's by just making those adjustments.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

My advice (FWIW) is buy the MXL Pista. It costs alittle more than a set of Hoosiers but will give you tons of data (i.e. useful information). Plus, you can sell your Tach as it will be obscured/useless. Mine, coupled with a lap or two by a pro in the 993, more track time and minor changes to the car allowed me to cut 3-4 seconds a lap. Much better investment than a new set of tires IMHO. It also lets the two drivers of the car compare where one is faster than the other to improve both.

I also like having one unit to look at for oil pressure, temp, speed, shift lights, rpm, lap time, best lap time, warning lights etc instead of 6 or 8 gauges. I really need to get one for the yellow car. I guess I was spoiled by having one in the 993. It is really hard to go backwards.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

MXL Pista. 2K? Thanks but I'll pass. My self imposed limit is MUCH lower than that. For DE that is serious overkill.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
Hey, Ram

Looking briefly at your vid:

Your a little late in T4 (look for the little orange dot on the left), power comes early, into and out of the apex WOT. Track way across with the increased speed. Steering Wheel should be perfectly straight for hard braking.

T5-T6 can be second, but you need to short shift to 3rd or as the wheel releases out of T6. Upper part of the track has poor grip as your video shows.

You pinched the end of Wagon Bend at track out. Let the wheel settle out on WOT then cross the track to T4.

Balance the car through T6 to T9, track position closer to center in T6-T7 and as the car goes neutral following T8 begin turn in for T9 (feels early) car is much better settled. You can be WOT through T9 once your comfortable in 4th gear.

That should put you in the 1:26's by just making those adjustments.

Thanks for the notes. I guess that means 1:28s are slow!

I've not found a comfortable line through T3. It's probably the one place on the track where I feel least like I know what I'm doing. I'll keep working on it.

As for T4, I'm slowly dialing that turn-in back, back, back. There's a ***** issue for sure. I'll look for that orange dot.

I think there's a gearing difference between our cars. In mine 3rd is good for 100mph, which means I'm not hitting 4th until well past the exit of T9 (and also meaning I don't need 3rd until I'm past T7 on the way to T8). Does that change anything?

Finally, forgive my line in T9 - there was some dirt at the apex so I chose to take a little later turn in.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

someone who didn't understand the funding process

Posted 03/11/2006, 11:07:17
BIKE FOR SALE ..... $10,000 06' Suzuki GSXR 1000

This bike is perfect! It has only 1000 miles on the clock and has had its 500 mile dealer service. (Expensive) It's been adult ridden, all wheels have always been on the ground. I use it as a cruiser/commuter. I'm selling it because it was purchased without proper consent of my loving wife.

Apparently "Do whatever the f*** you want" doesn't mean what I thought it did.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeNZ
someone who didn't understand the funding process
I overheard some fellow DE enthusiasts discussing the attractions of a new car, but that there was a problem with getting spousal approval.
I leaned in and offered 'tell her its cheaper than a mistress.'
I was told 'Rick, I don't duck that fast anymore.'
And no, I don't know the cost of a mistress, so please don't ask.

Quick Reply: Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)