Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Appears you have done this before?

My wife recently told me she doesn't wany any more jewlery. It's gonna take a lot of roses to make up a LSD.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
My wife recently told me she doesn't wany any more jewlery. It's gonna take a lot of roses to make up a LSD.
Doesn't your car "need" the LSD? Timing is a want but I am sure you could rationalize "need" to the wifey
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

O K GUYS.... I have the answer.

We all have enjoyed Dell's contributions to Rennlist especially his search for the 3 and he is having his first child in a few months and I KNOW that many of you are wondering just what would be an appropriate gift for such a lucky guy (and of course his wife and child) ssoooo..

my suggestion is for all of us to pitch in and get him a Traqmate!!

He could then use it to teach his young child the finer points of droving so that when he or she is ready for karting he/she'll be that much better preperred.

What do you say?? I'm in for $50...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't your car "need" the LSD? Timing is a want but I am sure you could rationalize "need" to the wifey
We have a 4 month old at home (and 3 year old) and she's sleep deprived. If I mention the word "need", I'll be sleeping in the car. At the bottom of a lake.

Anyway, I agree about waiting for a TM. I use a DL-1 and it's very useful for doing segment times and analysizing your own driving.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Aim MyChron Light TG and used it at the Glen it worked great.

Get the 12v direct wire version with the bright display and long cord. These guys had the best price http://www.victorylanedata.com/tg.htm .

David
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Does it require a transmitter to be installed trackside?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
That was just an example, but if someone has another transmitter up I will get split times....almost always.

At Mid-O a few weeks ago, it was acting up and would start running in the paddock and count 5 second laps until it filled up w/ 60 laps...or whatever the max is. Last year I sent it back and it worked better for a few mos, but now acting up again.
Strange. I have only had split laps from another timer once, and it was because the other one was located quite a distance from the others. I have been to several events where there were as many as three hotlaps switched on in the group, and never saw a split lap or other odd behavior. And stranger yet that the replacement didn't help. I have seen a lot of defective units, though.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:22 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, but it's the same AIM transmitter as all their products, so generally it's on the wall already at most events. Dude, just buy mine and be done with it. Mine is 6v though (it's fine)

Does it require a transmitter to be installed trackside?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
Strange. I have only had split laps from another timer once, and it was because the other one was located quite a distance from the others. I have been to several events where there were as many as three hotlaps switched on in the group, and never saw a split lap or other odd behavior. And stranger yet that the replacement didn't help. I have seen a lot of defective units, though.
I don't believe it's defective.

It is likely due to the obscuring time being set incorrectly.
http://www.aimsports.com/pdf/manuals...TG_105_eng.pdf
Obscuring time: time period when the receiver is obscured and cannot detect lap/split signal. Use it if you do not want to record split times on tracks where more split transmitters are installed. Set it at a time lower than your best lap time and higher than the time elapsed between last split and Start/Finish line. (re: page 12)

Happens all the time
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I don't believe it's defective.

It is likely due to the obscuring time being set incorrectly.
http://www.aimsports.com/pdf/manuals...TG_105_eng.pdf
Obscuring time: time period when the receiver is obscured and cannot detect lap/split signal. Use it if you do not want to record split times on tracks where more split transmitters are installed. Set it at a time lower than your best lap time and higher than the time elapsed between last split and Start/Finish line. (re: page 12)

Happens all the time
Thanks, but I believe forklift and I were talking about Hotlap, not Aim. But, I have been drinking and it's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Dell,

I will have my hotlap transmitter up this weekend if no others do, if you want to just buy a receiver for the weekend....quite often though I find that I am the only one at the event w/ one, so you will probably want to buy one (transmitter) sooner or later. However, I after doing some searches a few weeks ago, I might go w/ an Ultra Lap: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1085&cid=22 The Hot Lap is usually a PITA and there are a bunch of missed laps. Also, if some one puts out another Hot Lap transmitter, I will get 4 second lap times etc.

I have a DL-1, but the displays are $700!!!! That is ridiculous for a display, IMO, so I will stay w/ the two systems. I like to be able to look down and know what the time was....as long as I'm not in a pass or in a corner, etc, etc.
Sorry I'm a little late to this party. I am exactly where forklift is. I have been using the DL-1 for three events now and really like the data it produces - pretty useful stuff. (Point being you DO need the software if you want to do good analysis.) In my third day with it I had a spin and I with the combination of the video and the DL-1 I had a much clearer idea of why. That said, the expense of the display and the lack of the real time laptimes mean I'm using the Hot Lap as well, when possible.

Dell - Don't take this the wrong way, but if it's worth it to have three Porsches, if you're instructing, and if you're doing at least 10 days of DE, $1k is going to be completely worth it to you. I'd love to collect some GT3 data to compare with my C2, so I'd be happy to let you run it for a session this weekend and try it out. It takes about 90 seconds to install.

Forklift: I have the 12V Hot Lap transmitter which has double the range, but have been having some trouble with the lawnmower battery it uses. If I can get it working this weekend maybe you can get some cleaner times. Otherwise I'll be poaching your beacon, too.

I'm in a black 996 with a white Dodge Ram V10 tow vehicle, next to a red 993 with a blue Range Rover tow vehicle. Come find me if you want to give it a shot.

Ram
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by kgorman
Yes, but it's the same AIM transmitter as all their products, so generally it's on the wall already at most events. Dude, just buy mine and be done with it. Mine is 6v though (it's fine)
I have this timer, too. It's great for just a timer. I've never had to use my beacon, as someone always has an AIM beacon out.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ram, very cool. I might just take you up on that. I'd be happy to get some GT3 data for you.

I don't take much the wrong way. I have a pretty thick skin and welcome any constructive criticism. I guess the problem I didn't make clear is that even though I stated $$$ is an object, in fact it really isn't. I don't have a problem picking one up as I feel the 1K is worth it for what it does. I really want that data analysis capability. In case you don't know what my profession is (college professor) and what my favorite course to teach (stats, data analysis, etc.) then you know how BAD that I really want something like this.

Problem is getting it past the gatekeeper while she is currently creating my first child

I will DEFINITELY get one. This is not an "if" issue but rather a "when" issue.

Forgive me since I am not really familiar with everything it can do, but what can I utilize from the DL1/Traq/etc that will allow me to help my students get better?

By the way, I am way over the 10 days of DE a year limit

Since we are running for 3 days let me know when you want to collect data for a session. I'll be pulling in tomorrow evening around 5p to trailer drop, tech, etc.. so let's try to hook up. Even if I don't run a session of data collection I would still like to pick your brain about it. I'll make sure the cooler is stocked and ready to enjoy "after hours".

I am in a Speed Yellow GT3 with black wheels (#210)

Looking forward to a great weekend!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
RamVA
Racer

Oh, and that spin...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48272406&hl=en
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 PM
RamVA
Racer

Forgive me since I am not really familiar with everything it can do, but what can I utilize from the DL1/Traq/etc that will allow me to help my students get better?
I was more getting at the fact that if you're at that level you're going to need more/better feedback for improvement.

Amongst the many things I learned in just my first three days using it, all at Summit, some examples:

- I'm at least a second faster in the carousel using 2nd gear rather than 3rd. I'm also much less stable (witness the spin).
- I could be carrying more speed through T10, which is the most important turn. (Interesting side note: I was 5mph faster coming onto the front straight in the Lotus, and 10mph slower at the end!)
- Throwing away T5 is indeed the fastest way around, but only if you are hard onto the throttle coming out of T4.

Being able to test-and-learn is pretty satisfying, especially given what I do for a living. I'm guessing it's also useful info for your students.

Note this is all with the basic DL-1 package - no RPM, throttle, or steer sensors. That seems like the next set of steps, but since I switch between three cars at the track it's a little harder for me to swallow. I'm sure it'll come.

By the way, the software is the opposite of user-friendly.

Quick Reply: Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)