Sponsored by:

PCA enduro questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCA enduro questions...

I am running my 1st. PCA race @ Mid-Ohio next weekend. I signed up for the 90min. enduro, solo entry. I understand that I need to pit, 5min. Do I need any additional crew for the pit stop? I assume I will need to fuel, then I need a person to hold the extinguisher while I fuel my own car(with my helmet on and shield down). Any other entries that are particapting solo that could help pit each other? Any advise would be appricated...
Old 05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 260 Posts

If you fuel, you will need another person to hold extinguisher while you fuel (or vice versa). Full fire suit and helmet with visor closed.

If you are not fueling, no need for additional person.

Fasten a stop watch to your dash, start it when you cross the line to enter the pits, shoot for 5 minutes and a couple of seconds to cross the line exiting the pits.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If your car can go 90 minutes on one tank, then you don't need any crew. You can just sit there.

If you need to fuel, you will need a second person. This person has to be in full fire-protection gear (suit, shoes, socks, helmet with visor, gloves, etc). Technically I think you will need a fire extinguisher.

Back in the days where I had to fill up in enduros, my wife (Food Angel here on RL) would be my FE holder or another participant running in a different group would help me.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Matt - You're gonna have a blast. Stay VERY hydrated before and during, etc...

But, to your specific question, do read the PCA Club Racing Rules section on enduros carefully. There will also be minor deviations announced in the driver's meeting relative to earliest, latest, yellow flag, etc. Do ask questions at this meeting to get crystal clear. It's very worthwhile.

I've enduro'd and fire-marshalled pits for same. If you are unfortunate enough to need to fuel during the race, specifically the following part applies:

For enduros allowing refueling, fuel may be added to the car only by a driver or pit crewmember while wearing a fire retardant suit, gloves and a full-face helmet with visor down or balaclava with goggles. Long hair must be covered by a balaclava. During refueling, the car motor must be off, the driver out of the car, and no other work may be performed on the vehicle during refueling. Fuel jugs must remain capped and on the cold side of the pit wall, and the gas tank must remain capped until the car is off and the driver is out of the car. One person acting as fireman must be present in the pit, with full fire safety gear, equipped with a minimum 10 lb. fire extinguisher with the pin removed during refueling. Drivers will be responsible for providing the fire extinguisher. Only plastic containers may be used in refueling and no refueling towers will be used. Any deviation from this standard of refueling will result in the immediate disqualification of the car involved.
The keys are driver out, car off, fueler and extinguisher person in fire-protected gear. We've usually done it where driver is fueler or extinguisher guy. Then, you only need one more fire-protected person over the wall. Note that you cannot work on anything else while fueling.

Also note that balaclava with goggles is an option in lieu of a full helmet with visor down. That is consistent with instructions I have been given during marshalling.

I can run 90 minutes in the 968. To check your 951, try to completely fill up, run a bunch of hot laps (maybe all day in Test & Tune), fill 'er up, and calculate your on-track mileage for that specific track. From there you can do the math for the enduro.

Either way, it is WAY handy to have someone in the pit to just walk around the car, check tire pressures, look at pads, etc. This person will be your hero if they have calculated the time it takes you to go the speed limit all the way down to timing point on your way out. Don't cut it TOO close, as there will be no grid girls lined up to meet you on the podium , but don't waste too much time either.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

And don't forget to check your weight at that race (scales can have different readings) with a nearly empty tank, so you can see how much ballast you may or may not need to make minimum weight.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
And don't forget to check your weight at that race (scales can have different readings) with a nearly empty tank, so you can see how much ballast you may or may not need to make minimum weight.
Good point.

Matt - Do you have a mentor at the track for the event? If not, I recommend finding one or two that can show you the ropes. If you don't have a buddy list handy, do ping Susan Shire, PCA Club Racing Coordinator with an e-mail. She can usually match you up.

It's just so handy to have an experienced person help you through some of the less familar parts of the club race weekend.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
It's just so handy to have an experienced person help you through some of the less familar parts of the club race weekend.
Not that a mentor isn't still a good idea, but judging from Matt's signature where he indicates a SCCA Spec Miata, I'm venturing a guess that Matt is not a "rookie racer", per se.

True, Matt?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt's got plenty of race experience with NASA, but that said feel free to look me up in garage #18 if you have any questions on running the PCA race weekend.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

"Do you have a mentor at the track for the event? "

Just look what a mentor did for you Dave, screwed you up pretty good eh? probaly set you back 2 years

I am bummed that so many F/ GTS 2 guys are going to MO, small field @ Putnam next weekend. I would have thought you Oh/In guys would be bored with MO by now Good luck to all!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Just look what a mentor did for you Dave, screwed you up pretty good eh? probaly set you back 2 years
Well, Eric... now that you brought it up... I'm still recovering

Matt - Didn't mean to imply that you might not be familar with race environment. And, as you can see, mentors can be like luggage...

... you just never get rid of it, do you?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:40 AM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the info and help. I will take all of your advise and opinions and plan accordingly. I look forward to meeting a bunch of fellow racers and seeing a few I met last season. Just guessing, to make weight I will need to fuel at some point. I need to run 1/2 tank to make weight, 3000# SP3. I am running alot of lead, 180#, 1/2 tank of fuel.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
If your car can go 90 minutes on one tank, then you don't need any crew. You can just sit there.
I am curious about this rule:

"Each pit area will be thoroughly cleaned and swept immediately after each pit stop. It is the responsibility of the entrant(s) to provide cleaning materials and equipment and to insure that the pit area is clean. Failure to do so will result in disqualification."

How do people deal with this rule?

I need to get out and add oil after half an hour. Do I then need a crew to sweep after I pull out?

Quick Reply: PCA enduro questions...