Received 2,169 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Default NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing

Originally Posted by The Article
NASCAR downplays cracks in HANS device

Nascar

Associated Press

5/4/2007 7:37:36 PM

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - NASCAR is downplaying the cracks found in Kyle Busch and Casey Mears' HANS devices after wrecks at Talladega Superspeedway.

Busch's head-and-neck restraint was cracked in a spectacular crash Saturday, and NASCAR officials inspected the HANS before sending it back to the manufacturer for a review.

Then came word Friday that Casey Mears' device also cracked when he hit the wall hard on Sunday. Initially unaware of that crack, NASCAR has since taken possession of the HANS and also is sending it back.

Mears said the crack in his HANS was in the centre and appeared as if the left strap had been tugged too hard.

''In a hit like that it probably should have (cracked),'' he said. ''It didn't crack hard enough where it wouldn't have done its job. It just cracked enough where you wouldn't feel good about using it again.''

Jeff Burton, one of the top safety advocates in the garage, said everyone should be concerned about the devices cracking.

''We need to depend on all of our safety devices,'' he said. ''If it was cracked, that's something the manufacturer has to look at and try to make better.''

But other drivers downplayed it, saying the cracks in the many layers of coating on the HANS are more common than anyone realizes. Jimmie Johnson said his HANS cracked in a hard hit at Indianapolis several years ago.

''It's actually something that happens more often than you hear about,'' said four-time champion Jeff Gordon. ''We analyze those things everytime we go through a wreck, and they have cracked while doing their job. Until one cracks and breaks and doesn't do their job, I don't think any of us are concerned.''

ALL MADE UP: There were no hard feelings between close friends Mears and Johnson following the accident last week that knocked Mears out of the race at Talladega.

Mears was racing in front of Johnson when he headed to the pits. But Johnson never saw his hand signal or received the information from his crew, and bumped into the back of Mears to send him crashing into the wall.

''As soon as I hit, I was probably as mad as I've ever been,'' said Mears, who slammed the hood of his car in frustration.

But he chalked it up as an accident, and was part of Johnson's group Wednesday at the Wachovia Championship Pro-Am in Charlotte, N.C.

Mears can't afford another bad run. He heads into Saturday night's race at Richmond in 35th-place in the points. But he said he won't think about that once the race begins.

''When I get in the car I forget about it,'' he said. ''At night you think about it, and you think about what's the best thing you can do to stay out of trouble, but really the bottom line is all you can do is race, and that's all I've done for a lot of years.

''I haven't had a string of bad luck like this, so we've just got to continue to race, and eventually we'll have a good few races and get out of that spot.''

TESTY DJ: Dale Jarrett came to Richmond with a new crew chief, and wasn't in the mood to discuss all the changes he's had over the past five years. The 1999 champion has had at least 10 different crew chief changes.

''If it takes 42 (crew chiefs) from now until whenever, I don't really care what the number is,'' he said. ''It's about getting all the people in position. I'm not that hard to get along with, I can assure you.

''I am demanding, because you'll work your tail off because I work my tail off.''

Michael Waltrip Racing removed Matt Borland from Jarrett's car earlier this week. Borland was initially supposed to move into a technical director role, but decided on Wednesday he wasn't interested.

So Jarrett will now be teamed with Jason Burdette, who worked with Jarrett at Robert Yates Racing.

Because he's used all his provisionals, Jarrett had to qualify on speed and failed to make Saturday night's race. It's the first time Jarrett has missed a Cup race since North Wilkesboro in 1994.

SUMMER OF MARK: A little rest goes a long way with Mark Martin, who skipped last week's race at Talladega but returned to Richmond rested and ready to go.

This partial schedule - Martin has missed three of the past six races - had Martin rather effusive and referring to himself as ''Mr. Happy-Bubbly.''

''This is going to be the greatest summer of our lives,'' he said he promised his wife.

HEY, LOOK AT ME: Kurt Busch is putting together a decent a start to the season, and his third-place finish last week moved him up to 10th in the points.

But few have noticed the 2004 Cup champion this season, and Busch thinks he knows why.

''Most of the time in my career, when things are going good, it doesn't get the publicity (I) want,'' he said. ''The bad stuff gets the publicity around my name.''
Old 05-05-2007, 03:46 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A LOTTA G's . . .

That's a lot of G-force.

Didn't know about the NASCAR Events...

However:

Per ALMS info, the HANS Device is designed to support 3000 lbs of force, "absorbing tension, load and shear energy inflicted upon a driver so that it is well below the injury threshold of what the head and neck can support (between 700-740 lbs of force)."

~Doc
Old 05-05-2007, 08:25 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much journalism and not enough facts to really talk about that article.

Size of cracks?
How many crashes had the HANS been in previously?
Location of cracks?
Forces the drivers experienced during their crashes?
Production date of devices?
I'd presume its the Professional version and not hte cheaper version.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Should have bought an Isaac.

Marc
Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Should have bought an Isaac
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Physics....it's a bitch.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Helmets crack after wrecks also. Better a cracked HANS than a cracked neck.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The HANS devices in both cases did their job - both drivers walked away from very hard impacts...and were quickly released from race medical.
To my mind, these devices are expendable, just as seat belts and helmets.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I agree, the HANS probably cracked absorbing all the energy it could stand and saving the driver's "neck" (literally). Safety gear isn't necessarily reusable. Suits that have been exposed to heat, helmets that have a nasty impact mark, and seat belts that have been through a very severe wreck are usually trashed, or at a minimum, returned to the manufacturer for inspection. It sounds like it did what its built to do.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
I agree, the HANS probably cracked absorbing all the energy it could stand and saving the driver's "neck" (literally). Safety gear isn't necessarily reusable. Suits that have been exposed to heat, helmets that have a nasty impact mark, and seat belts that have been through a very severe wreck are usually trashed, or at a minimum, returned to the manufacturer for inspection. It sounds like it did what its built to do.
Agreed, sounds like they cracked absorbing the energy of the impact.

The article reminds me a bit of a comment by a friend that he hated Volvo's since they deformed in case of a hard crash and could not be properly fixed. I remember telling him that, if he did not have crumple or energy absorbing zones and steering columns he did not need to care as perhaps he would not survive a hard crash.....

Those NASCAR drivers should send the cracked HANS with a thank you note to the manufacturer along with a check for a new one.... In the process also get a new seat, belts, helmet and most certainly underwear .

BTW, if the HANS cracked, I wonder how the helmet looks around the HANS attachment points.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that a head and neck restraint is something you want to hold a position and not give. You're looking for the HANS to hold a given amount of energy, not slow the absorption (like a helmet or roll bar padding). gbaker is probably the best to reflect on the implications of what happened to the HANS units.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:07 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrisp
I would think that a head and neck restraint is something you want to hold a position and not give. You're looking for the HANS to hold a given amount of energy, not slow the absorption (like a helmet or roll bar padding).
Go grab a HANS and play with it. It bends, not much but it does. The straps stretch. It gives.

Originally Posted by chrisp

gbaker is probably the best to reflect on the implications of what happened to the HANS units.
Nothing against gbaker, I pay attention to everything he says and appreciate what he brings to the table but he still does work for Issac a direct competitor of HANS.

There are many questions that need to be answered before any conclusions can be made. I doubt that any of those answers will be released to the public though. They include the big ones I mentioned

Size of cracks?
How many crashes had the HANS been in previously?
Location of cracks?
Forces the drivers experienced during their crashes?
Production date of devices?
HANS doesn't directly state that a device should be replaced after a major crash while Isaac does. Maybe this just boils down to the HANS being a one time use item.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

HANS specifically says that, if the device is put to the test, it should be replaced. Just like a helmet.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
HANS specifically says that, if the device is put to the test, it should be replaced. Just like a helmet.

FIA says to replace after impacts.

HANS says to inspect it according to the owners manual that came with the HANS I just bought.

I tend to believe that after an impact that tested the device it should be replaced. In the whole scheme of racing it's only 1000 bucks.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Ah, you're right, I just looked. It says INSPECT, not replace.

But, like a helmet, I'd replace it anyway...

Quick Reply: NASCAR drivers are cracking HANS devices