Sponsored by:

BF Goodrich R1 Feed back....anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
One that seems to be pretty strongly believed. Have you got any data that shows that R6's provide grip over a large (>20) number of heat cycles? Would you be willing to use a set of R6's for two race weekends, and then keep them for practice after that? Not trying to argue Larry, I'm just looking for data to understand the characteristics.
I put DrJupeman on 20+ (I think it was 24) heat cycled R6's at Watkins Glen in my Boxster S and he ran a 2:11. It was the second best time of the weekend in F class. Best time for the weekend was recorded by a pro.

At Summit Point last year, I went from 20+ heat cycled R6's to 5 heat cycled H6's, and times improved by about 3 tenths.

Last season I used 3 sets of Hooisers and did the following: 5 PCA race events (15 races), a DE, and a test and tune day for a total of about 17 days of driving. I figure my last set of Hoosiers are only about half used as they have only 12 heat cycles on them. I figure I got somewhere around 28 heat cycles per set of R6's.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
When I get to the steel belts they fall off very suddenly.
Going down to the steel belts cost me about 4 tenths...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought a set of BFG R1's in 245/45-16 to try out on my "lemons" racer....lemons racer are required to run street tires with 190+ treadwear...I was running Dunlop Direeza Star Specs in 225/50-16 before.... the difference is AMAZING...try 7 seconds a LAP better....the cornering grip is much improved, but the braking is light years better....from constantly fighting lockup to just leaning on the pedal.....

I am curious to see how they compare to other R comps like R888 or R6.... I did have a VERY good driver test the car and he was IMPRESSED with the grip levels..... Honestly it feels like a very well setup spec miata in the corners to me....in a 2800lb car....lap times are close to SM too...

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich R1 Feed back....anyone?