Sponsored by:

Hoosier life span?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier life span?

Assuming a properly heat cycled tire, what's the lifespan of a Hoosier R6? In my case it would be on a G-class car. I ask because for the Glen club race I'll be doing a DE day on the 31st and the full practice, double sprint and enduro schedule they have planned for the weekend. Again, assuming no flat-spotting or tire damage, could a Hoosier go the distance? If not, what issues will I run into - cording or just a degradation of lap times? I haven't used them before (usually run MPSC's or RA-1's) and at a minimum I want to use them at one DE day before a race weekend.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I have experienced. Hoo's have a couple of magic laps and maybe 5 really fast heat cycles. They are faster and warm up faster than MPSC's, BUT only for the first few heat cycles. They also can get mightly greasy for a long race (enduro) and then you have to back off them to get the tire grip again. The greasy tire is not gradual it is an "oh sh*t moment". I ran a very old set of Hoo's at a DE this weekend with the intention of running them to cords. They never corded, so I leant them to another drover with a tire problem on his GT3 while I ran another old set of MPSC's. My lap times dropped by almost 2 secs using the old MPSC's.

So, my intentions are to run a fresh set Hoo's for qualifying and sprint race. Practice on the older Hoo's & MPSC's. I think which tire to run for the enduro is a game time decision. ie; temperature, length, how the tires feel after the sprint race. I am leaning towards the MPSC's for the enduro.

I am curious as to the opinion of the more experienced drovers out there and what they have found.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Thanks.

Anyone else?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

So far my "old" set of R6s from last year have about 5 SCCA races and 3 PCA races and no sign of slowing down... they seem as fast as my "new" set which I used for qualifying and races (ATL and LRP so far).
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

On HC 14 I had my best lap ever at VIR. On HC 16 at Summit Point one of the rears kept on going out...very quickly. It was only 34-36F that day so I am going to give them another try at VIR at the end of the month. Plenty of tread left...hoping that I can get one more weekend for a total of three weekends.

That's about what I get out of RA-1s, 27-29 HCs before they give up....which happens before they cord for me...and that is shaved.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
So far my "old" set of R6s from last year have about 5 SCCA races and 3 PCA races and no sign of slowing down... they seem as fast as my "new" set which I used for qualifying and races (ATL and LRP so far).
Mike,

Interesting observation. I had a similar experience at Mid-Ohio with a used and newer set of R6's. Nearly identical times in practice (old set) and qualifying (newer set) - although I thought the new set felt "stickier". I do like the Hoosier; still, I intend on trying the new Goodrich R1 tire sometime this season.

P.S.: Great job in Saturday's sprint race at LRP!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

R6's are very different from the older compounds. You should get a much longer "serviceable" life out of them. I know of some that are even running the A6 to get more sticktion.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the extended longevity. I have a set that I ran last year for at least 15 cycles, and they sat in the trailer all winter. I warmed up with them at Road Atlanta, and I was about 1.2 seconds slower in the 3rd practice session than I was the next day for qualifying on new R6s. Since it was my first time there and I was improving with every session, I don't think that was too bad. Maybe cold cycling them helps!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys. sounds like it's a pretty safe bet that they will cycle out before cording.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
thanks guys. sounds like it's a pretty safe bet that they will cycle out before cording.
Just don't bet your life on it Chris, Examine the inside rears edges frequently when you start getting into the later stages of their life. I had one that felt fine one day, the next morning I felt like I was on old street tires. I figured I would just swap the rears around (LRP wears the left side out) and get a few more run groups out as I had new R6's waiting to be installed. I was a bit surprised when I saw a 1" strip on the inside edge missing and REALLY surprised when the tire guy slid a screwdriver in under the tread to the other side.. delamination. The contact "tread" was rolling around freely, good for lefthanders but the downhill was "iffy"..
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 12 cycle set now that are as fast (at least for me) as they were when new. Many people at Mid-Ohio 2 weeks ago were reporting the R6 lasted much longer for them...As always, I'd be weary about thinking the tire walls are impervious however....

Last edited by bgiere; 05-02-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I agree about the extended longevity. I have a set that I ran last year for at least 15 cycles, and they sat in the trailer all winter. I warmed up with them at Road Atlanta, and I was about 1.2 seconds slower in the 3rd practice session than I was the next day for qualifying on new R6s. Since it was my first time there and I was improving with every session, I don't think that was too bad. Maybe cold cycling them helps!
Larry,

You'd be fast running on bicycle tires!

Quick Reply: Hoosier life span?