Open aluminum trailer questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Open aluminum trailer questions

I just put the $ down on an 18' Aluma trailer (Model 8218) and I am looking forwards to getting it in a few weeks.

A couple of questions though....

1. I plan to install an aluminum toolbox at the front -- is it worth the extra $ for a stoneshield on the front or will the toolbox (6' wide, 2' high) provide sufficient protection. I don't plan to put a tire rack on it just yet.

2. What size electric winch should I get? I read all the winch/wench threads here and most seem to say an electric with a remote is a good idea but do not say what size. My C4 weighs about 3400# (yeah, a porker, I know) so do I need a 4000# Superwinch or will a smaller model (2000#? 3000#?) be able to haul a car up without too much strain? Cost is one factor but tongue weight is the other.

Thanks all.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like a nice trailer; congrats!
When I bought my Trailex, they suggested that I skip the stoneguard and just put mudflaps on the tow vehicle, which I did and never had a problem; the guards can be a pain to deal with when strapping down the front end of the car.
Why put on a winch? With an open trailer and a few friends, you can always push the car on if it is disabled.
You will want a tire rack...(this from the guy that carries 8 extra mounted tires; I never want to be caught short!).
Although you can haul extra tires in the tow vehicle, perhaps.
Can your driver's door clear that fender?
Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc,

Also living in Canada and potentially in the market for an Aluma Trailer I am wondering where do you decide to purchase it from?

Best Regards,
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that the 6 ft wide toolbox would be sufficient. You could always screw some "wings" on the side if it wasn't.
As far as the winch is concerned I would go with the 4K #. Keep in mind that you may be hauling it up there after an accident (i.e busted wheel etc) and it may not roll easily.

3400#'s ???
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My open trailer had a toolbox in the front and it worked well to protect the front of the car. I would get a Superwinch 5000 for the weight of your car.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember...sometimes when you need to use a winch it's when your car isn't rolling.....so the more capacity the better....
Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an old boat (manual 2 speed) winch for my (POS) trailer. (about $50 new)

But whenever I broke, (3x) and couldn't drive it on, either the wrecker or a bunch of guys pushed it on...

I'd pass on the winch and get the tire rack.

(or, are you unable to drive the car on the trailer?, like the doors won't open?)
Old 04-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yup, 3400# when I stopped at a roadside truck weigh station.

I hope to get that down in the next few weeks with sound deadening removal, rear wiper delete, etc. The front diff. can't be removed though.

The fenders are removable both sides so access should not be an issue.

I already have mud flaps on my Sequoia (6200# towing capacity -- the main reason I got an open trailer rather than enclosed but we don't want another tow vehicle debate,, eh? ).

I wanted a winch as my car has broken down before at a track 11 hours from home and I don't fancy having to bust a gut to get a dead car on the trailer.

I bought it from Flaman in Edmonton (4 1/2 hours away) as nobody had aluminum trailers locally. If you go to the Aluma web site (www.alumaklm.com) they list all the Canadian dealers.

Marc
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Let me know how you like it.

We've been mulling over the idea of stocking Aluma trailers but have been scared off by the distance (Iowa).
Old 04-28-2007, 09:31 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little water or antifreeze in the path of the busted wheels when dragging a broken ride up on the trailer makes it slide a bit easer. We have pushed cars with 50% or less rolling wheels onto trailers via paddock people power a time or two. (Not mine thank god..........Yet)

Quick Reply: Open aluminum trailer questions