Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Technique -- How Much Do You Rely on Caster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
dOOd, ya went in way too hot.
hey d00d, don't be too hard on me. I was trying to get you in the passenger seat so that you could heal all my ills, but it just never happened.

Too hot for my talent level at that moment? Sure.

"Way too hot" for an experienced trailbraker? Not so sure about that.

A lot of people say they trailbrake, but I think most people really do not . . . they just brake until right after turn in.

If you are going to trailbrake, and I mean really trailbrake down to the apex, then you must go into the corner hotter than you would if you were getting most of your braking done in a straight line.

Otherwise, you will be needlessly on the brakes when everyone else is on the gas, which is deadly, deadly slow. Worse yet, you will not have enough momentum to rotate the car.

Actually, this is my typical mistake. I am pretty consistent, and it is hard for me to increase my entry speed. So, if I enter a corner at my typical entry speed, and then I try to trailbrake, there is not enough momentum to rotate the car with the brakes, and you just NEEDLESSLY slow.

So, if you really want to trailbrake, you MUST enter the corner hot and smoothly burn off the speed between turn-in and apex and then smoothly get back on the gas.

Since I tend to overbrake when I try to trailbrake, I have been trying to brake longer and more gently (as a learning exercise that Cervelli taught me), and it has led to a serious increase in corner entry and mid-corner speeds. I already did pretty well with respect to corner exit speeds, so this is one of the next frontiers.

Having learned my lesson at Watkins Glen about picking your corners to push very carefully, you can see that T1 was one of a few corners at VIR where I was pushing my personal limits. Even though I screwed up, it wasn't that big of a screw-up and I didn't hold anyone up all weekend (I didn't have any offs or even on track spins)

I am slower while I am trying to learn trailbraking. But if I can make the sacrifice now and really learn this technique properly, I believe I will be faster in the long run. Who knows, Larry, maybe someday I will be able to harass you?

So, too fast for my talent level? Yeah.

Too fast for someone who is good at trailbraking (like Cervelli)? I really don't think so. I have been in the passenger seat and seen how much faster you can enter corners if you are really trailbraking.

Here are a few speed graphs that partially illustrate what I mean. They are from T5 and T1 at Summit.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but td... this way you're not giving us a lot of room to argue and talk ab how crap your driving is
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
but td... this way you're not giving us a lot of room to argue and talk ab how crap your driving is
What's the point of arguing about issues that are not in dispute?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO.... ahhhh.... 'diffusing' through ownage... niiiice
Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
LMAO.... ahhhh.... 'diffusing' through ownage... niiiice
zen baby.

I should have posted that vid and charts before this thread reached the adolescent stage of its "old-age"

Would have been nice to hear some more good discussion . . .

And nobody mentioned my beautiful code brown reliance on caster . . .

Last edited by TD in DC; 04-27-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Technique -- How Much Do You Rely on Caster?