Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 wrecked at autocross

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
J P Stein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the guys that were hit while parked were competitors at that AX. The area is pretty much the pits (NPI) for that venue. That stop box is used quite often on that venue......but it isn't idiot proof. The driver usually drives an automatic trans C4.

For a bit of perspective, here's a vid of a nearly identicle stop box from a PCA event on that site. the box & finish lights are within feet of the subject box.
So.....ya gotta sit thru some lousy driving to get to the finish, but the SCCA guys didn't get this good a run at the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZZ6LuN7fI
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
My dad always told me to never loan anything to a friend or family member. Either give it to them, or don't give it to them.
My father used to say something with a similar idea.

Two quick ways to loose a friend are to loan them money, or sell them a car.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by J P Stein
All the guys that were hit while parked were competitors at that AX. The area is pretty much the pits (NPI) for that venue. That stop box is used quite often on that venue......but it isn't idiot proof. The driver usually drives an automatic trans C4.

Ummmm..... as has been said before. No they weren't the Audi and the Subaru were spectators. The Celica however was the car of one of the Safety Stewards of the region.

As said by the subaru owner.

THAT'S MY 03 WRX WAGON IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MESS. The guy driving the GT3 missed the brake at the run out of the course and hit the celica and my car. My car was pushed into the Audi. I wasn't registered to run and was just there spectating. My insurance will cover my car and then go after the guy driving the Porsche probably, which wasn't even his car. His friend let him run a lap in it...that's a $200,000 bill there with all the cars involved. I'll be on the phone with insurance companies ASAP tomorrow morning. I have LOTS of pics I'll try to post. What a friggin' headache, I wasn't even going to go to the track today, but the sun was shining and I was in that part of town and just thought I'd watch for a bit. Last time I park anywhere close to the course. Now I'm in search of a blue bugeye wagon, or I'll have lots of parts to sell here and find an 04 or 05.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM
J P Stein
Instructor

I stand corrected. I thought I'd seen him run in the past and assumed.......
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
In my opinion you are responsible for any accident damage, regardless of cause.

For mechanicals, if there is MOTEC or a data system, and you can capture overrevs, then there are some typical agreements to deal with that based upon the severity of the overrev.

If its a car with no data system, I don't know how you would sort that out.
I agree. Probably the best thing to do is have an open discussion before hand to arrive at a mutual understanding of the way it will work should something bad happen, then shake on it. BTW, if someone wanted to share my car, who was not a pro, and said up front they would not pay, they would not be driving my car.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
OK I've got a question... What is the RIGHT thing to do...Say,

You are Co Droving an enduro, and the car breaks. Who Pays? (Trans? Motor?)
Or, like RSR you get punted at the start.

(any different answer if you paid for the ride?)

its an easy call when you drive it into a tree... or miss a shift and blow the motor, but what about a 'True' racing incident. (door bangin, hit in the rear, vs 'normal' wear and tear..)

or, is it I should be responsible for anything breaking on my watch.
My thoughts are if you are sharing a car in an enduro you clearly talk about it up front. Before anything happens. Understanding can be who ever is driving is responsible or you both share equally inspite of who is driving.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J P Stein

For a bit of perspective, here's a vid of a nearly identicle stop box from a PCA event on that site. the box & finish lights are within feet of the subject box.
So.....ya gotta sit thru some lousy driving to get to the finish, but the SCCA guys didn't get this good a run at the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZZ6LuN7fI
That light pole at the send left from the start seems like in a really bad spot and easy to hit. That couse seems ok otherwise.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

The general consensus seems to be that the GT3 driver was not the brightest guy, gunning an unfamilar near-race car that hard in an autocross "fun" run. I have to agree, but I still can't help feeling sorry for that poor sap (and he may end up really poor after this whole episode).

I have always been unwilling to drive other peoples cars for exactly this fear. You pretty much have to be prepared to pay for the thing as many have posted.

Oh well, hopefully there will be some sort of solution for everyone involved here. As crappy as it must be for all, at least no one was hurt. I'd hate to think of how it would have been should a spectator have happened to be standing amongst those parked cars...

Note to self: Be very aware of from where any loved ones watch even a "safe" event, like an autocross.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Sweet 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will buff right out....
Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
A picture I found on another forum that had issues with Ghetto.

I didn't know that guy was so well known. I remember him from the Road Racing forum over on Honda-Tech. Look at what I found with Google... http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=Ghettoracer
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Not sure which of my comments you are talking about , but it is mostly directed at that auto -x moron. really who the hell; goes 10/10 in someone else's car...FOR FUN
Do we know he was 10/10 are are we asuming/guessing? Also seems harsh to call him a moron as accidents do happen!!!!

Last edited by DanR; 10-13-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Holy dead-thread batman!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
DanR
Drifting

wow - some how this appeared on my first page of of threads!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wonder what finally happened?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Do we know he was 10/10 are are we asuming/guessing? Also seems harsh to call him a moron as accidents do happen!!!!
No, I'd say he was driving 12/10'ths !!

Quick Reply: GT3 wrecked at autocross