Sponsored by:

To all the instructors out there....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:11 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Just like the ColorChange threads from long ago...

Wasn't he a Doctor also?
He's an engineer.
Old 04-16-2007 | 12:13 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Well fellows I am done posting here!

Now that I have a common dedicated track car, I am going into anonymity.

It was great while it lasted, you all be safe now........
Now thats funny! Why stop now? This is when it gets good, you have a drivers car to have fun with.
Old 04-16-2007 | 12:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Boston, Don't deny us the pleasure of watching your progress. Your threads are always some of the most entertaining, lively and informative. And well received by most on the board.

I hope you have not been receiving PMs from trolls. I haven't read anything abusive other than what is to be expected, (and you are used to) don't be in a hurry, etc.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Z, I only lapped those 944s once. I will send you the video, PM me your info.
No need, I believe you.

Folks - having spent a little time with BostonDMD at LRP, he's really a mild-mannered friendly individual, and his track manners are just fine. While with my student, I had no problems with Paolo behind us - he waited for the pass just like most others in the group. (There's a technique some upper run group drivers have forgotten about... )

As he mentioned, English is his second language, so between that and this imaginary world called the internet, his true message and personality gets lost in the translation.

Paolo - don't let the banter here get you frustrated. Many of us may come off as sounding like we know it all, but most of the folks here were at once point in time, in your shoes. They don't want you to make the same type of mistakes they did.

My $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:33 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

I have been lapping just about everyone in the group once, twice and sometimes three times, I have learned how to handle traffic very well (due to all the point by I received).

I have been working in being smooth, hitting all my marks, and slowly increasing my speed by more carrying momentum into the corners, but then of course someone is in my way and I have to literally slam on the brakes to avoid them.

Should I dare ask for a check out ride to be considered for the next run group or just pay my dues and spend the next 15 days in Yellow?

I am just trying to learn here......
Couple of thoughts from someone who started DE just two years ago with a high HP car. (I spent 5 days over two events in green and then moved to blue at the beginning of my third event. In my region, green and blue are instructed, and the next group is white which is uninstructed. I spent 19 days over seven PCA events in blue before moving to white.)

Getting lots of point bys is not the same as handling traffic well, a point underscored by your much discussed reference to braking hard (slamming). Handling traffic well is anticipating closing speeds and adjusting yours so that you come upon the overtaken car at an approriate place to pass and at a reasonable closing speed. It's also being aware of the cars around you and being courteous. I was not there and I'm certainly no expert, but your post suggests that you have more traffic skills to build, as would be expected for someone just starting out.

That said, people who WERE there, who are more EXPERT and saw you drive have some very nice things to say about your driving and your attitude. Take that to heart, and be happy!
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:35 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

it was my car
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
it was my car

rocketman, are you Ron S.? If so John S. hid your former car away in a garage about a mile from the track and Paolo *supposedly* didn't know the address (J.S. was on a plane the next day i'm told). As much as I prodded him to go on a hunting expedition with me to retrieve it but he wouldn't go for it... He will have it (i'm told) next weekend at LRP.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Man, I wish I could be there to see the sh*t eating grin on Paolo's face next week after he gets back from his first session on the track with the new car.
Old 04-16-2007 | 03:59 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

hey boston,

I thought you were going to arrange for me to be your tour guide on Saturday.
Old 04-16-2007 | 05:36 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Paolo,

1. All kidding aside. You have obviously taken the proper long way to your goal in starting with an older car. I commend you on that approach.

2. Anyone giving you sh*t about english or language skills should be ignored. Speaking two languages puts you well above the average American.

3. Same goes for any drover who started their track program via DE events. Anyone who has not felt a level of accomplishment for group advancement is full of bs. Unfortunately, the DE program only provides advancing as an empiracle scale for "grading" one's ability . You spent a great deal of time earning a medical degree so you understand hard work/reward basis for getting an "A". Other events such as time trail, club racing, autocross provide timing/placement as a guideline for skill level. DE's discourage this approach ( and should). I think the real advise is just keep taking advantage of the instruction program that has helped everyone, including the "instructors" themselves become better drovers. The best thing about the program is you can always learn and improve, can find someone at your skill level to associate with, can aspire to improve to the level of someone more experienced, and give back to those starting after you.
Old 04-16-2007 | 05:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Man, I wish I could be there to see the sh*t eating grin on Paolo's face next week after he gets back from his first session on the track with the new car.
Hate to rub it in Sean........ NOT

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homea...T0105?dayNum=5

Old 04-16-2007 | 06:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Hate to rub it in Sean........ NOT

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homea...T0105?dayNum=5

Maybe I could convince my daughter to change her birthday
Old 04-16-2007 | 06:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Maybe I could convince my daughter to change her birthday
Sweetie, if we have your birthday in January daddy will get you a pony!
Old 04-16-2007 | 06:32 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

You might be on to something
Old 04-16-2007 | 06:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sweetie, if we have your birthday in January daddy will get you a pony!
This reminds me of one of the funniest old school internet pictures:

Quick Reply: To all the instructors out there....