Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all the instructors out there....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007 | 07:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Ditto with what Larry said. Your own comments show you need complete track awareness and more events will help. That means knowing the speed differential from looking down track. Having to slam on the brakes should be from an emergency not speed differential. Instructor's will notice your ability in the group you are running and pass on the information. Sounds like speed is not the issue and as Colin mentioned, there may be cars travelling at the same pace you never see because of spacing.
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Paolo, stay in yellow for a bit. What you're about to experience is like starting over when you pick up your new car. It will be a night and day difference. The new car will not hide your mistakes like the Cayman and it won't allow you to be sloppy and quick (not that I'm saying you are, but we're all making mistakes out there on every lap). If I were you, I would take as much instruction as you can get with the new car. As you know, I had an instructor on Saturday all day even though I was running solo. I learned a ton. Running solo is not everything you think it is. It can be hard to get instruction, there are usually a lot of cars and the wide range of running speeds means you've got to really be on your toes.
Sean, I think you right, I probably should start in Green with the new car, (if I ever find where it is parked ) just so I have the time to get acquainted with it, then, I should progress quickly without everyone thinking that "it is just the Cayman taking me for a ride"
BTW, thanks for telling me about Len.....
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:15 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Not green, yellow if the region has it. You're definitely past green IMHO.
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sean, but I will be in a new car, and I want to start fresh..
It will only take me a day to be promoted to Yellow (again) with the different region, so what is the rush....
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Yep - I agree. Boston MD - as we discussed - you already know the basics like the line, braking points, ...etc. Those all apply to any car. So you may need to adjust things like your braking points, and throttle application, but it is more of an adjustment instead of learning something completely new.

-Z
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Boston - Re promotion, it is all about how well you drive and not about how inexperienced the others are. Being the fastest guy in a run group is satisfying but does not always mean you are skilled enough to move up. I suggest you ask for an instructor with experience in type when you first drive your new track car.

Best,
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I just finished my second day in Yellow at LRP. First day instructed, second day solo.

Out of the 8 sessions I gave 1 point by to a turbo on the main straight and then passed it in the back session to never see again....

I have been lapping just about everyone in the group once, twice and sometimes three times, I have learned how to handle traffic very well (due to all the point by I received).

I have been working in being smooth, hitting all my marks, and slowly increasing my speed by more carrying momentum into the corners, but then of course someone is in my way and I have to literally slam on the brakes to avoid them.

Should I dare ask for a check out ride to be considered for the next run group or just pay my dues and spend the next 15 days in Yellow?

I am just trying to learn here......
I think you would be well served spending a lot of time making "little" mistakes instead of rushing and spending a little time to make a "big" mistake. There is no substitue for seat time and number of laps driven. Just remember some of the guys with "mega" talent are not around any more.

You appear to be "off track" mentally, and soon or later it will happen pyhsically. Are you ready for it? All those little mistakes and subsequent corrections will help prepare you for the big event.

It is noteworthy that you post about how slow all the other cars are around you. Instead, you should have a "mind absorption" focus on "exactly" what your car is doing (when and why), the surrounding events being more in your periphery. I am not hearing or reading about that, that's why I think mentally you are "offtrack".

Just because you are faster than everybody out there does not prove that you are the best out there (or even good or competent), or that you are in control. You may not even be aware of the mistakes that are going to come and haunt you. Experience, experience, experience!

Most will tell you track driving is a learned skill and I encourage you, irrespective of your real and perceived talents, to take the time to learn everything you can. Everyone, including you, will be safer that way.

I am not fast, nor am I an Instructor but I have a very realistic sense of all the things I have yet to learn, and I've been doing it longer that you (God given abilities aside). I think!

Please, take my comments as constructive (with only good intent), absorb them and you will, hopefully, learn something from them. I am not judging your driving (how could I ?) but I am thinking about what you are writing, and why.

Remember my favorite old Latin proverb.....

Festina Lente (Hasten Slowly)
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Discuss with your home group CI. He/she can forward a placement recommendation when you run with other on track groups. There is far less chance of looking arrogant there than posting it here.

Going solo 100% is to stop learning freely from others past hard learned lessons and to start paying 100% for every bit of gathered information yourself. The will cost you time, money and possibly hardware. If you have good heads up, are smooth, understand the track and the car you will be moved to the right place. it is in their best interests of the on track group to move you higher as this makes room at the bottom where room is often most needed. The key is to be where you can run freely enough to have flow and get into a groove. With a fast car this can be hard to do in the lower groups. With a new car you will have the already learned info in play and the learning curve will be shallow. Stay in the group you are now in with a new car. What is the worst thing than can happen, get passed some and bruise an ego?

A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from the mistakes made by others.
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks Sean, but I will be in a new car, and I want to start fresh..
It will only take me a day to be promoted to Yellow (again) with the different region, so what is the rush....
Don't even think about going back to green Paolo, regardless of the car. What you need to do is have an instructor with you for at least your first day in the 911, maybe take a few runs w/o one, then get him back in the car to go over the new things you will be experiencing. You are well past "steering by cone" phase but still not fluent in the "steer by throttle and car rotation" your new car will require (at speed). I will always ask for ride-alongs regardless of what color wristband i'm wearing as there will ALWAYS be much to learn. I know you much better now and know you just want to do the right thing.. I also watched you run this past weekend and know you were very consistent (and quick) around Big bend and through the S's at LRP. I bet what will happen is you will be told it's time to move up when the day comes..
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Boston - Re promotion, it is all about how well you drive and not about how inexperienced the others are. Being the fastest guy in a run group is satisfying but does not always mean you are skilled enough to move up. I suggest you ask for an instructor with experience in type when you first drive your new track car.

Best,
I have just "begged" the registrar of my next event to pair me up with either of two instructors that know my new track car very well.
I am hoping that it can be accomplished and that I will learn the proper way to handle a 1987 911.
And with all due respect, I wasn't bragging about being the fastest, it was just that there were several cars that were slowing me down, that is all.....
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Boston - no slight intended. Look forward to meeting you at Rennsport.

Best,
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:57 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

boston dmd,
I belive that you bought my previous 87 carrera. a great car I might add!
Take all the instruction you can get and go for rides .Both will sharply increase your learning curve.You will learn more for experienced drivers than from yourself. See you on the 21st at Limerock. good luck with your new ride
Old 04-15-2007 | 08:02 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Boston - no slight intended. Look forward to meeting you at Rennsport.

Best,
Sir, looking forward in meeting you too at the several Rennsport events I will attend.
Old 04-15-2007 | 08:03 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Boston, how many flag stations were manned during your runs? If you can't answer that, stick with yellow and work on your entire driving package. Passing everyone does not make you fast, safe or a good driver. The criteria for moving up vary by region, but I don't recall ever seeing a region which lists going fast as a justification for moving up. Ironically, there are some very slow drivers in black and red (MNY's top 2 groups) and let me tell you, the world changes when you go from yellow to white and all of a sudden everyone is passing you. Before you move up, your instructor and CI need to know that you will be SAFE in that environment. Two ideas would be to ask to ride with the instructor in white to see the car play and maybe have the instructor take you out for one session in white.
Old 04-15-2007 | 08:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
boston dmd,
I belive that you bought my previous 87 carrera. a great car I might add!
Take all the instruction you can get and go for rides .Both will sharply increase your learning curve.You will learn more for experienced drivers than from yourself. See you on the 21st at Limerock. good luck with your new ride
Roketman, are you going to teach me how to drive your ex-club racer?

Quick Reply: To all the instructors out there....