Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Finn, I think the theory of which you speak is the following:

Presuming you are ahead of the car (as Larry & George suggest), you countersteer into the oversteer as it begins. Then, you bring the steering back to dead center for a split second in order to stabilize the chassis just as the CG begins to shift from one side to the other. You do this to prevent the inevitable tank-slapper that will occur if you keep the countersteer dialed in. Then, after being at dead center for an instant, you turn very slightly the other way (opposite the countersteer) in order to prevent the car from oversteering in the opposite direction.

At high speeds, all of this happens quickly in theory, and among experienced drovers is one smooth, indistinguishable process.

EDIT: multiple typos corrected
Thinking about it, and especially remembering practicing on ice with loooooooooong slide etc. it makes some sense. Previously I haven't really bothered to think about the process, I've just done it but the way you explain it, makes sense. I can now better try to explain to the students when they ask, thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

As both George and Finn (Peter?) ably show, the correction starts immediately with the slide. And as soon as the tires feel the input and start to regain traction the correction is removed. If you wait until after the slide stops, you are behind the car, and it will snap back the other way. That is how most of the spins to the inside occur, not because the correction was applied too late (although that happens a lot) but because it was not removed soon enough....
Petteri but friends call me Petu.

I completely agree with being ahead of the car, if not, pad things tend to happen. You really need to react instantly and that's where learning from the books ends (even though some of them can be very helpful), for that you need to spend time sliding, correcting and spinning. That's why I always recommend to go out and practice when it rains and also have suggested that our region would do skid pad practices (i.e. in Moroso you can get the skid pad wet).

...BTW Finn showed exactly how to gather up a car that loses the tail and then runs wide (in turn 1). Catch the back, and then drive the arc needed to keep the car under control, even if it means purposely taking it off of the track...
I've often explained to my student that it's some times advisable to go off road instead of trying to "make it". The video posted just few days ago (about that 928 spin) was a good example where he was basically in similar situation in where I was but he decided to try and stay on track instead of correcting and then running little wide and inhis case, it unfortunately resulted into a wall.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The left hander at LRP is a place where you see to many spins because of this. People try to save it when what they could do is just open their hands and head straight towards the apex of the right hander coming out of the essess. Just give up the next turn, no need to try and get back on line.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

ok here is my spin/drift that i didn't catch, I thought I had it until i didn't get the steering wheel back to center in time and ended up going off at LRP. tell me what you think. This happened this past weekend, it was a little cold around 40 degrees and windy. This happened at the end of big bend.

http://www.nycs4.com/images/thespinatlrp.mov (right click and save target as)

Last edited by cr207; 04-11-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
The left hander at LRP is a place where you see to many spins because of this. People try to save it when what they could do is just open their hands and head straight towards the apex of the right hander coming out of the essess. Just give up the next turn, no need to try and get back on line.

Down here, this happens routinely between 2 & 3, 4 & 5, 7 & 8, and 12 & 13 at TWS, and exiting Ricochet and Big Bend on the old MSR 1.7 course.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cr207
ok here is my spin/drift that i didn't catch, I thought I had it until i didn't get the steering wheel back to center in time and ended up going off at LRP. tell me what you think. This happened this past weekend, it was a little cold around 40 degrees and windy. This happened at the end of big bend.

Looks like you were way behind the car. It wasn't that you didn't get back to center it was that you never caught up to the rotation. You needed some correction much earlier than you put in. I never put all four wheels on the concrete in big bend either - cold or warm day (but especially on a cold day).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok here is my spin/drift that i didn't catch, I thought I had it until i didn't get the steering wheel back to center in time and ended up going off at LRP. tell me what you think.
What happened is that you were very slow to react to the impending spin. You could see in the video that the car starts to rotate well before you make any correction. You need to be able to feel that rotation starting and react to it before you can ever see it, or you are too late. Once you fall behind in a tankslapper, you really never catch up until the car stops.

When are you reacting fast enough? When you correct for an impending spin before your instructor/passenger realizes it's happening.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

...When are you reacting fast enough? When you correct for an impending spin before your instructor/passenger realizes it's happening.
Very true, often you can watch outside and see a car going nicely through te turn (maybe little, very very little sideway), yet inside the steering wheel is going rapidly left & right.
For example the T17 on my video clip, looking from outside, the car was basically not going sideways at all, yet you see me correcting quite a bit (and you can hear the revs too).
Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rookie question... Define "tankslapper" for me. Is that a reference to the tail swinging out? I'm trying to learn all I can from these threads and watching the videos.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

larry nice save. how did you get so good driving in the rain?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Rookie question... Define "tankslapper" for me. Is that a reference to the tail swinging out? I'm trying to learn all I can from these threads and watching the videos.
That's when you first slide, over correct ending up sliding to the other side, then again back to the other, then other, the other... Ends up with car finally settling and driver continuing driving or in a spin.

In motocross we call similar thing "collarbone zig zag" because it often ends up driver flying over the handlebars and breaking his collarbone (have done it once...)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were a little slow at recognizing the tail coming around, be you did catch it for a little bit. The thing that turned it from some oversteer to a spin was that you held the correction for too long. Once the car grabs again you need to quickly get the steering wheel straight. The car will actually almost do this itself if you loosen your grip of the steering wheel and let it slide your your hands, you have to be able to stop that at the right time though.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Is it just me, or did others download this and play it only to find that it is upside down? Weird.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Is it just me, or did others download this and play it only to find that it is upside down? Weird.
Did you check if your monitor is upside down?

I downloaded it again and it is fine. What program are you using for viewing it? Maybe you should download the latest codec, you can download them here.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Funny, it must have been running backwards for me. It was really cool to see Finn backing it off the grass and right down the straight!

Quick Reply: A save in the rain