Sponsored by:

Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Well, MS did not start his career with the best car of the field, if LH would drive a Honda or Toyota he would barely be a footnote, no matter how much talent he has.
So what you are saying is that anyone could drive like Hamilton and do what he has done if they were in his car? IF that is what you are really saying then I disagree. Yes the car is excellent but the driver has to do the work and be on the edge. Hamilton has been REALLY good since he is a little kid, have all his cars/karts just been really good, best in the field and he is just an average driver? NO WAY! Hamilton has some serious real elevated talent.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
People with means don't shop at Walmart....... television stations exist to make money, programmes cost money, advertisements make money.

R+C
I do pretty well for myself and bought a pair of cargo shorts, some car cleaning supply's, gallon of milk and so forth just last night at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I do pretty well for myself and bought a pair of cargo shorts, some car cleaning supply's, gallon of milk and so forth just last night at Wal-Mart.
People with means shop at Target.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
People with means shop at Target.
LOL, Larry, Guys.... Sam Walton had a lot and he shopped at walmart
Speaking of target , MDRums better duck for Pole Positions response..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I don't think Walmart puts the name of the cow the milk came from on the caron. I'll stick with Waitrose for now.

R+C
Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what you are saying is that anyone could drive like Hamilton and do what he has done if they were in his car? IF that is what you are really saying then I disagree. Yes the car is excellent but the driver has to do the work and be on the edge. Hamilton has been REALLY good since he is a little kid, have all his cars/karts just been really good, best in the field and he is just an average driver? NO WAY! Hamilton has some serious real elevated talent.
Did your interest for F1 start with LH ?

JV started out with the best car in the field and got top results immediatly. Mansell's only WDC came from the best car in the field by leaps and bounds and there are plenty more examples.

Fact : no matter how much talent you have if you ain't driving a decent car you are doing jack. I am by no means a Alonso fan but he is a elite driver but did not set the world on fire when he was driving a Minardi at the beginning of his career.

No doubt LH has talent, maybe more than some others ,but also he has been groomed /t*tfed by Ron Dennis forever. There is no guarantee that he will have the same success at another team or if he has longevity and can keep the motivation up when things go to sh*t or ,hopefully not ,gets injured in a monster crash and has to get back into it.

So far everything looks good but some intangibles certainly will come up during his career . To be objective or riding someones jockstrap are two different things and when it comes to LH the latter currently applies.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

At this stage of the game , lewis is still a step behind Alonso with speed.. He has been getting the lighter fuel load and better strategy that mclaren gives to the fastest driver in Q3, so he qualys with a lighter load , then get 's the better race strategy , this obviously backfired last weekend as even with the lighter load he was barely faster than Alonso and finished 34 seconds back showing he lacked race pace at silverstone...

We are mid season now and it is still intense as no driver has shown a clear advantage as yet ,,,, i guess the best is still yet to come , as Mclaren has lewis doing the bulk of their testing at Spa this week .....
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

You are kidding, right? Lewis is a step behind Alonso in speed? What freakin' races do you all watch? Seriously! Who is on the podeum every race thus far? Who's leading the points?

OK so you don't like the new kid and that is fine but you can not seriously knock what he has done in F1 nor in his career up to this point.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

You are kidding, right? Lewis is a step behind Alonso in speed? What freakin' races do you all watch? Seriously! Who is on the podeum every race thus far? Who's leading the points?

OK so you don't like the new kid and that is fine but you can not seriously knock what he has done in F1 nor in his career up to this point.
Easy there. Hamilton has been on podium because his car has been reliable. It just takes 1 DNF and it's all even. He's been extremely lucky when it comes to reliability. THat is not the norm in F1. Look at what's happening all around him. Eventually a gremlin will show up on his car.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Hamilton has been on podium because his car has been reliable.
AND he has raced smart.

No major foul ups and strong speed has kept him on top in the points. Sure a mechnical can eat in to his lead, but right now if he keeps finishing on podium and the other 3 keep dividing who wins in each race LH will be in great spot come the end of the year. The MOST impressive part is that most rookies even with great car can show speed, but lack the poise to run a long string of good finishes together.

Lets face it his competition f'ed-up a few times (think Malaysia, Alonso at Canada, Kimi at Moncao) all costing them alot on track. What was LH's f'ck-up. Moving early in the pit stop. That cost him what 1-2 seconds. Wow that is a really small result that considering his overall race pace played no role in his overall finish.

I think if you started the seaons and said of the top 4 there was going to guy getting schooled while passing, a guy going off track 2-3 times making over aggressive passes or a guy clipping a barrier at Monaco.... I think we all would have said the rook Hamilton. Man we were all wrong.

The only question I have is can he hold it all together for the rest of the year. 1 or 2 screw ups and he can be done for. Time for me to and enjoy.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, some of that is attributed to his driving well and not making any mistakes. However, he's always at the pointy part of the grid and therefore isn't exposed to the midpack mayhem.

The other 3 front runners have all had mechanical issues which, to no fault of their own, have dropped them from midpack (alonso) to the very rear (Kimi and Massa).

The question is, how will he fair from the back of the grid. We haven't seen that part of the equation yet, but it will happen. He can't go the rest of the season without a mechanical issue.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Speaking of driving from the back of the grid to the front how about Masa at Silverstone. I really liked his driving.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking of driving from the back of the grid to the front how about Masa at Silverstone. I really liked his driving.
Without question, his best drive of the season. IF the car doesn't stall before the formation lap, he challenges Kimi for the race win.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Without question, his best drive of the season. IF the car doesn't stall before the formation lap, he challenges Kimi for the race win.
Yes I believe that is Masa did not have the problem it would have been a different race.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Massa would have finished 3rd, Alonso's pace was good enough to split them ...

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors