Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I'm all ears.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys
Spoke to Ellington today as some Listers have as well. Contact there is Erika. I will have the full policy shortly.
It is underwritten by Firemans Fund, which is Very reputable. The insurance is similiar to regular auto insurance, but for race cars. That part seems strange to me.
They are going to be at the NASA VIR race the end of the month and were at VIR already this year. They said they do alot of PCA business and NASA wants them to speak to their entire organization.

Usually if it sounds to good to be true it is. I was just about to send Laurel a heap of cash, but just may go with these guys if it pans out. They can certainly bind you for the RA race a couple of weeks away.

I will post later.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I called as well, Rich are you in NY or NJ? She wasn't sure if NJ was covered.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also chatted with Erica. Sounds legit to me. I think I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance, but no Gecco comes with it!

Erica said she can also put my M3 on the policy and offer a multi car discount. I'm liking Erica right about now. I am told I'll see the quote and policy verbage by the end of the day. Thats quick service for sure!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

I just spoke with Erica as well. I agree it sounds too good to be true, but thus far everything seems great. Waiting for some additional information, but as of now I'm leaning towards going with them. For anyone reading in Illinois, Illinois is covered .
Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I spoke with Erica. (Southern girls sound so sweet). She said it is a regular auto policy without the exclusions so many of us have regarding timed events, on track etc.
The only catch is if you can win money, it will be considered commercial and not covered. She is inquiring as to whether the NASA contingency "money" will cause an exclusion. (GTS is basically limited to "coupons" to my knowledge good for products or services from the offeror. My HWFM racing status kept me out of contingencies last year.) Anyway, she told me that if I don't qualify for contingency "money", no problem.

Ohio is on the list. Anxiously awaiting my quote.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

does anyone have an email address for Erika?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just got off the phone with Erica...quote is on the way...seems to be right on so far.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If not already posted above, please post contact info. I'm out of my office for the remainder of the afternoon, but can call her tomorrow.

Is New York okay? Let us know how the policy looks.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 224 Posts

Maryland? Anyone know about Maryland? I will need it before I go to Mid-Ohio and will call them before Laurel.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

NY is okay, doubtful on NJ. I
Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George from MD
Maryland? Anyone know about Maryland? I will need it before I go to Mid-Ohio and will call them before Laurel.

its covered, my friend is on the phone with her right now for a quote

VA is too! if my car was expensive enough to warrant insurance, I'd get this insurance asap!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I am a CA insurance agent in San Diego, and I have access to Fireman's Fund for CA. I spoke with Erika (yes, southern women are so polite when they are young), and she and I talked a bit of shop about this.

This is indeed a normal, run of the mill auto insurance policy with Fireman's Fund. There is no wording in the contract that you would receive as an insurance consumer of this "prestige" policy that would bely "If you chunk it on a track, you are okay," but the point being made here is that there is legal personell in the background of the underwriting department, that have chosen to apply the coverage wording TO this sort of claim - which is of couse 90% of what we do. If you make money from racing, you are no longer insuring the car for personal use. Personal use IS DEs, Events put on at various tracks around the country for moderate groups of moderately talented drivers.

This info seems to have come from Regional management at Fireman's Fund. I am obviously in a different region, but I have Fireman's Fund auto on my list of carriers, so....

So people who are asking for this in writing will receive, probably, some sort of promise from the agency itself, but it will not be in the policy form you receive from the company.

Remember, a company is open to interpret their coverage wording in a positive manner for the customer much more readily and legally then to interpret it as to remove coverage.

I can't put a more fine point on this. Wording is made to be unambiguous, but the companies can expand it from where it is written - not narrow it.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Also, to speak to the comment regarding location, it DOES matter. Since this is a normal auto policy, it will require a garaging location. Just an FYI. This will be connected to what agent is appointed with what carriers in which states.

Its all very fun.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

BrendanC

As you probably know, the rule on ambiguities is that they are interpreted against the drafter. Additionally, where the Department of insureance has hundreds of policies they approve containing language excluding track events, I would argue that leaving that basic exclusion out is enough to insure coverage for an on track event.

Here's what I can't wrap my head around. If it is a regular auto policy and I take someone out in a race through my negligence, are their damages (subject to a property damage deductible) covered by this policy. Would assumption of the risk (by the other driver) apply? Seems like the door will be wide open for some interesting claims. What if the other driver gets hurt? What if someone hits me who is uninsured? From my stand point as an insurance defense lawyer, I just don't see anyway to make a profit on this. Hell, cutting costs and narrowing coverage is all the rage in the industry. I am stunned the more I think about it. Interesting.

Quick Reply: Follow Up to Seth's Track Insurance thread MUST LOOK